Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anthem AMV20 Outlaw 7100 combo?

what do you guys think?

Any other combos I should consider in that price range? (Can be a little bit higher retail as long as I can actually BUY it for similar amounts of cash).

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Not even close. The Anthem offers soooo much for the price your really hard pressed to find matches even at its price point. Not that there aren't great sounding pre/pro's for less, just not any that have the feature set.

I got the 7100 in for review today and I was VERY impressed by the weight and build. Can't wait to hear how it sounds!! Oh and I will have it hooked to an Anthem AVM 20!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I did not find the Outlaw 950 two channel stereo up to the mark. IMHO it was actually worse than my $330 SOny receiver. I would highly recommend the Pioneer 45TX receiver (same price range as the outlaw 950) as a pre-amp. It sounds SO CLEAN and crisp, I am sure it would excel as a pre-amp. This would give you the THX certification as well as the MCACC calibration that so many people love (I personally did not find it improving the sound significantly though).

I would highly recommend the Outlaw 7100 though. I found it to be very capable (the Outlaw 950 in bypass mode with the 7100 sounded very good).

My two cents! (as always listen before you buy). Outlaw allows you to return it and they refund the shipping charge as well. So order the 950+7100, get a demo AVM-20 from your dealer and compare it side-by-side before chosing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
Not that there aren't great sounding pre/pro's for less, just not any that have the feature set.

SO there is no preamp that has, lets say the sound quality of an amv20, without extra "features" AND at a lower price?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The outlaw preamp is a shared chassis. Atlantic Technology and Sherbourn also make the same pre-amp. From what I understand, the sherbourn is the best of the bunch, although I have yet to audition the three.

As far as performance nothing approaches the AVM 20. Its feature set is matched only by the Lexicon MC-12 balanced. (which lists for $10,000) However, it is rather pricey. What is the objection to the Rotel 1066?

Barry

·
Registered
341 Posts
'SO there is no preamp that has, lets say the sound quality of an amv20, without extra "features" AND at a lower price?"

Maybe a used Aragon Soundstage ($1400).

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
petiteface, two of your comments on the Outlaw's 2-channel performance confuse me. First you say:
Quote:
I did not find the Outlaw 950 two channel stereo up to the mark
Then later this:
Quote:
the Outlaw 950 in bypass mode with the 7100 sounded very good
What's the difference between the first and 2nd mode.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Milt99:

I believe that in bypass mode (displayed as "BYPASS" on the LED panel), all processing circuitry get bypassed. Hence what goes in just goes through a potentiometer and comes out. I do not believe you can adjust SPL levels etc in this mode to balance your left and right speakers.

The stereo mode (displayed as "STEREO" on the LED panel) on the other hand, goes through some kind of processing and this allows for things like balancing the left and right speakers.

For example some inputs cannot be used in bypass mode (like the optical input from a DVD) has to go through processing and hence one can only use stereo mode.

I believe the processing on the 950 is mediocre based on the fact that the sound quality was not good when in Stereo mode. But when all processing was bypassed, the sound quality was very good and hence I believe the 7100 amp to be good.

I hope I have not added futher to the confusion.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ps24eva:

Professional reviews are very deceptive and I have found them to be very hard to interpret. I have found professional product reviews to be always positive with claims such as great catch, real steal, better than other products costing 3x the price and so on which are not very meaningful. Even those that are more measurement based (Sound and Vision) are hard to interpret. For example the Sherbourn preamp (Outlaw 950 clone)was reviewed by Sound and Vision and it turns out that the noise floors in Stereo mode and multichannel mode are worse than a $500 Yamaha receiver. Note that the article reviewed the products very positively and if one wasnt aware of what to look for, one could get easily fooled.

Until TomB pointed out this specific fact out, comparing specific data, I did not realize that I was not getting the one thing I was looking forward to with my move to separates. I knew that the stereo sound was not that great, but I did not know that the preamp was to blame. I discovered the bypass mode later.

In any case, I find it much more useful when individual users compare products of my interest and explain their choices based on specific likes and dislikes. I can then decide (or narrow down my selection) based on what makes sense in my circumstance.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Have you looked at the Halo C2? A little better than the Anthem at the same price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.