AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anthem AV20 2.9 series problems continue...FYI! Unit received last Tues with new series serial number.

After reading volumes of reviews and pondering over various competitors and also selling my equipment, i decided on the Anthem!! The anticipation was that of a "hot" date!(sleepless night's..you know what i mean you audiophile degenerates)

Well....So much for QC @ Sonic Frontiers(Anthem). I cannot believe it! This thing pop's or sparks in Sat and DVD. As posted in other threads it loses all center information, however if you stop and replay, it will play, say 2 minutes...not bad for a $3300 pre amp!! I've yet to see a whole movie...It is so ,so frustrating after reading all the glowing reviews. How can they release product without a serious benchtest??

The good new's is that the stereo mode is incredible! Krall, Barber,SACD, hell anything is simply stunning...everything i expected. Other good new's is that Anthem has another unit on the way..so i'm told(we'll see).

Why me dear Lord...I've been a good boy...

The "Endless Pursuit" continues......

:mad: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
For what it's worth, I have been running V2.09 okay for weeks now. Anthem/Sonic Frontiers usually addresses all issues quickly and simply do their best to provide software updates.

I wouldn't give up on Anthem. It is definitely a nice piece with incredible sound.

Knock on wood of course as ALL manufacturers units are susceptible to hardware or software failures. It just so happens that we Anthem owners are a very, very demanding crowd. We won't let Sonic Frontiers rest until every little bug has been crushed. All AVM20 owners scrutinize the units capability to the nth degree. It should be that way in order to realize the potential of this tremendous piece of technology.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your so right in regard to high expectations...I've owned a Sonic pre-amp and it was the quality of a surgical instrument, perfect and solid, "flawless" comes to mind. I'm not giving up on Anthem, yet. I just am surprised how a total loss of center can be missed, they've got to run these things, each of them, on some type of signal detector( ok, i am not a engineer..)

It's weird i was just reflecting on a point..All electronics that i have had zero problems with have been Japanese..the ones that have issues have been north american made(Logan,B&K and Anthem). Why? No, really.. why? I hate to reflect on this.....

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Anthem is releasing a new one? I missed this. Is this something other than the AVM20 v2.0? I found nothing on the website. Where can I get more info?

Neil,
Quote:
It's weird i was just reflecting on a point..All electronics that i have had zero problems with have been Japanese..the ones that have issues have been north american made(Logan,B&K and Anthem). Why? No, really.. why? I hate to reflect on this.....
I think it's just coincidence. The only pieces of eqipment I've had that didn't need any service in a five year span was an old Fisher 500c receiver, a Kenwood KD-500 turntable and a 27' JVC tv.

I'm enjoying my Anthem:D :D :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm running version 2.08c right now (been too lazy to install 2.09). Anyway, whatever problems you are having will be quickly rectified by Sonic Frontiers, trust me. Whether it be hardware related or software related, they will release a new software version soon or give you a better DSP board. There are too many happy Anthem owners out there who have received PHENOMENAL customer service to let you bad mouth the company because of your bad experience. Now, if you had consistent bad issues and no response from SF, your post would be justified. I understand your frustration at paying a large sum of money and getting a poorly performing unit, but I assure you that you will be taken care of when all is said and done.

Also there is no version 2.9...I'm sure the original poster meant version 2.09, which is the current software version. Seeing you have problems with version 2.09 while others have no such problems leads me to believe that you have a bad board. Maybe the increased production of these boards lately has led to lapses in QC.

As someone who has changed the DSP board himself, it's a simple procedure that any 5 year old can do. With that being said, I'm not making excuses for the company...simply they've dropped the ball here. But once you get a new board, it will be the finest piece of HT gear you own. It's just a shame that your experience didn't meet your initial expectations, but the story is not yet over.

Basically, I feel the title of this thread is irresponsible...warning everyone out there that the Anthem has bugs, making a blanket statement about something when a blanket statement is not appropriate. There are plenty of us using the same software version as you with the same V2 DSP board that are having NO ISSUES. I realize that your unit is faulty, that I will not deny, but not everyone has the same difficulties and you could be turning people away from a great addition to their HT with your title.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had version 2.08 in my unit when I got it. Used that for a couple weeks with no problems at all. Just updated to 2.09 this weekend (as someone else mentioned, there is no 2.9). Looking at the revision history and changes that accompanied the update, it looks like only a few minor upgrades. I didn't really need to update, but I figured why not and was curious to see how the process would go. It was a piece of cake. The most difficult part was physically moving the AVM20 over to my PC, since they're not in the same room and I don't have a laptop. Anyway, after updating the AVM20 is still working/sounding great... no problems as far as I can tell.

Did the original poster contact Anthem? Is this really a confirmed bug? Is there a chance it could be a case of user error?

I'm a little confused by the "bug" description...
Quote:
This thing pop's or sparks in Sat and DVD. As posted in other threads it loses all center information, however if you stop and replay, it will play, say 2 minutes
.... if more detailed information could be provided, maybe someone on this forum could provide an answer or explaination.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am with you Evan. An irresponsible thread title.

I have been running 2.09 since it's release without incident. I was one of the lucky few who bought last July/august and got the new DSP w/o 'knowing' it and never had a problem related to the DSP. I had a small power supply problem and was treated with exemplary service (they called me to update me on my unit on a regular basis and I had it back in about 2 weeks!). Anthem is a company to set all standards by with product and service.

FREAK! (Marc_E).

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The Key words the poster (neil) made was Has-Caution!

Even though I find it very hard to personally not reply back to the same type of threads made in references to my beloved B&K Ref50.

I feel the title and post falls well within his rights.

He feels somewhat cheated, and for good reason.

Do you really feel that someone will not look any further prior to purchasing a product. I think in away you are saying that the potential owners of Anthem products are shortsighted with limited comprehension.

Look at it this way, I pay huge amounts of money for season tickets to my beloved Minnesota Vikings. Say they play as they did a few years back in the NFC championship game vs the NYG.

Now say if they would have just won only one more of those games during the regular season, Boy they gave some away.

Now that championship game would have been here in Minnesota.

Now say the final score was the same "what 42-0, Vikes loss".

Many non-fans & fans may have said something to the sorts of you guys stink-suck-are broken down babies.

I guarantee it would have been far worse then this:

Are the statements true? Yes maybe to that PAYING fan.

Would these words stop the real fan from coming back again?

Maybe, maybe not.

Those that jump in only to follow the crowd would jump off.

As hard as it is for myself not to get irritated over very similar threads,

as I have. He has every right to post his feelings, He paid for the right when he made that purchase. I respect his feelings more so then those few that post an opinion on something they never owned just to follow a crowd.

Try to give him a break!

He paid for his right to voice his opinions in his own words.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Neil,

Your dilemma is one that has plagued a few AVM-20 owners, trying to reconcile a software and/or hardware issue with what is a very good sounding HT processor. Your comment "The good new's is that the stereo mode is incredible! Krall, Barber,SACD, hell anything is simply stunning..." is one nearly every AVM-20 owner can relate to. :)

OTOH, having faulty, expensive HT gear sucks! There are some AVM-20 owners that switched from another product or manufacturer because they had problems with them. I certainly can't blame anyone for being disappointed with an expensive product they expected to at least perform "normally".

I wish you good luck in your search for HT happiness. If you plan to keep the AVM-20 and have further questions or problems, please post them here or at HTF or email me and let's see if we can't solve them.

Michael

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well... It seem's that i have offended a few who are die hard Anthem advocates and i truly respect your admiration for this company and for their product. As i've noted earlier, i also have owned Sonic Pre Amps and have the highest regard for their quality and performance and have enjoyed years of trouble free stereo nirvana.

My main issue is quality control and the FACT that their IS a issue with the boards!! I will concede that i could have used a better header to this thread but I was the one in the HEAT of the moment who had this unit FAILING miserably! My expectation's and quality standard's especially from a company like Sonic F. are sky high and that will not change!

Now the good new's!!(Especially to you Sonic Advocates!) My local rep has a new unit being air freighted(they actually wanted another week to send it but my guy refused that B.S) and i should have it Friday! I only assume that they have tested it! I WILL report the outcome on my second AV20 2.9 for those who care......

In closing...I have kept up with these forums for many,many years and the information that all of YOU provide are opinions, some you agree with and some you discard. What i have learned over time has been invaluable to me(and others) in regard to equipment performance and dependability. As a matter of fact i confirmed this problem on a forum very similar to this one....(don't kill the messenger...he may have a valid point ,or, bring out a current issue(problem) worth considering.

My intent was never to offend anyone...just to give a "heads up" to those who are on the fence... to those who have had no issues...enjoy what is no doubt a superb product and by the way the word i used was "caution".

Best,

Neil

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry Neil but I am one person who is close to buying a high end preamp for the first time and you threw a monkey in the equation because of the words used in your complaint on the product. After reading your post I would say the problem is less than one percent of the products produced.

Does your post hurt a potential purchase ...HELL YES it does, and for no good reason. It's like yelling FIRE or Wolf.. So now I sit another week on my cash on bad info? If I have not been reading this forum for about a year I would have held off to see whats up and I'm sure there are a few out their that will wait and see if you are happy before buying a 3k pre/pro.

I too am extremly excited to finaly have the means (beans) to buy this great product. I just think I would have posted after the end result.

In the end I'm sure you will be happy. :)

BTW.... I don't buy the football analogy above.....I have season tickets to the Bengals.....Talk about poor products!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just a note. Sonic Frontiers of old is no more (according to my sonic frontiers/anthem/ paradigm rep). Paradigm bought them a few years back and ended up firing the two Chris's that headed and founded Sonic Frontiers and Anthem. The first preamp was not a good product and this second one seems to be but it no longer has anything to do with the sonic frontiers of old.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by consult
BTW.... I don't buy the football analogy above.....I have season tickets to the Bengals.....Talk about poor products!!
Yes I could have done a better job with this analogy. as they are both are low budget operations in comparison to the competition, But yet they do put out an entertainment value.
Quote:
Originally posted by consult
Talk about poor products!!
My point!

You in a way just substantiated my analogy.

How many potential season ticket buyers did this comment effect?

Although it's still a entertainment value within it's price.

This issue has been beaten enough.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's 2.09 not 2.9

Quote:
Originally posted by neil potter
Well... It seem's that i have offended a few who are die hard Anthem advocates and i truly respect your admiration for this company and for their product. As i've noted earlier, i also have owned Sonic Pre Amps and have the highest regard for their quality and performance and have enjoyed years of trouble free stereo nirvana.

My main issue is quality control and the FACT that their IS a issue with the boards!! I will concede that i could have used a better header to this thread but I was the one in the HEAT of the moment who had this unit FAILING miserably! My expectation's and quality standard's especially from a company like Sonic F. are sky high and that will not change!

Now the good new's!!(Especially to you Sonic Advocates!) My local rep has a new unit being air freighted(they actually wanted another week to send it but my guy refused that B.S) and i should have it Friday! I only assume that they have tested it! I WILL report the outcome on my second AV20 2.9 for those who care......

In closing...I have kept up with these forums for many,many years and the information that all of YOU provide are opinions, some you agree with and some you discard. What i have learned over time has been invaluable to me(and others) in regard to equipment performance and dependability. As a matter of fact i confirmed this problem on a forum very similar to this one....(don't kill the messenger...he may have a valid point ,or, bring out a current issue(problem) worth considering.

My intent was never to offend anyone...just to give a "heads up" to those who are on the fence... to those who have had no issues...enjoy what is no doubt a superb product and by the way the word i used was "caution".

Best,

Neil

·
Registered
876 Posts
You know what? Eleectronics sometimes fail. It has nothing to do with good or bad QC. A certain percentage will fail and the failures will usually happen within the first 90 days or so. It's a fact of life and not a reflection on the quality of Anthem products. There is nothing wrong with Anthem's "boards".

·
Registered
168 Posts
It should all be perfect the first time out. Of course, as someone who codes for a living, let me just say it will never happen. :/ Well, maybe if the product cycles weren't so short, etc., but in the real world you can't possibly test out every possible thing with a complex product and expect to stay in business. You finally added perfect THX EX 7.1 in 2010? Well, good for you...

The GOOD news for this thread is that I was asking about another feature recently for more flexible DVD-A and SACD handling in a 7.1 setup, and got a reply that they have had requests for it and will be adding it. I'll skip the details (yes, I'm a cruel b*stard) since I'm not sure they're public yet. In any case, it certainly validated my feelings that I made a good purchase decision - the support really has been outstanding, and the features on the pre-pro are well thought out and implemented.

Let me add, I'm still running 2.06 or 2.07, so if there were bugs in 2.09, I'm not aware of them personally. I can't wait for 2.10 now... getting a DVD-A/SACD combo (Yamaha S2300), and want to listen to DSOTM as perfectly as possible. (Well, on my

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:
What is going to be so special about 2.10
Quote:
The GOOD news for this thread is that I was asking about another feature recently for more flexible DVD-A and SACD handling in a 7.1 setup, and got a reply that they have had requests for it and will be adding it.
Sounds to me like Anthem is making arrangements to steer the rear surround channels on SACD and DVD/A from the side surrounds to the rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup, which is something presently unavailable.

Just a guess on my part, but something that a lot of 7.1 users have requested, that I know for a fact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great new's to those who followed my misfortune of pop's through all channels and total loss of center channel.

Anthem held up to their reputation...(as many of you assured me) New AV 20 2.9 Unit via 3 day air to me(retail outlet) and after 3-4 full movies and Sat program viewing it seems all systems are a "good to GO"!(fingers crossed). The issue was according to my expert was a processor board.

Anyway, i still remain very disappointed with the initial experience but as i reflect on it i realize that i could have been perhaps been less emotional with my initial comments on this thread.... Oh'well..You live and learn. We Audiophiles are a emotional bunch ....Maybe passionate is best said!

Now on to either a Meridian or a Krell (cd players)...

Wish me luck! ....:)

Best to all,

Neil

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.