AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post on this site, this forum does not seem to have restrictions against posting price. If I'm wrong sorry.

So I've been lurking here and the plasma forum for about 2 years. Finally have decided to stop researching and buy something. I just did not think it would be this past weekend, but a deal came my way. At least I hope it is and this is where I would like your input.

Found out from Anthem's web site what local stores sold their product. Went to one and he offered me a demo model AV20 for $1800 CAN (roughly $1500 US). I put $500 to hold it for me until Thursday. I'm not one to make spontaneous buys, I like to mull it over (hence the 2 years lurking here :) ).

I seems like a good deal, it comes with full warranty as well. Your opinions welcome. Is there anything I should be careful of?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If it has DPLIIx and the latest firmware it is a very good buy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dsmith,

By firmware, do you mean the lastest software update? It does not have the latest updates, but can't that be done by me via a laptop? Does DPLIIx come with the firmware?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Make sure that it is a V2 machine ifit is the latest firmware with DPLIIX can be downloaded. If its a V1 I'd pass because it would need a 300.00 hardware upgrade.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka_c
dsmith,

By firmware, do you mean the lastest software update? It does not have the latest updates, but can't that be done by me via a laptop? Does DPLIIx come with the firmware?
What Dennis Oblow said - but if you have DPLIIx you are good.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Kafka_c,

I second Dennis on that. If it is version 2 and has the 56367 DSP chipset in it, you are good to go. You can then update the firmware for free whenever you like. Next time you visit it, just press the status button on front. If it shows version 1.16 or better, you have a good buy on your hands. Otherwise, get the guy to give you a slightly better deal on the version 1 preamp and then get the new board installed to make it version 2. It is a $300.00 US dealer-installable piece. If I remember correctly, it actually costs the dealer $300, so I don't think you will get him to negotiate that part. I am not sure, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.