AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My room setup is 9 channel with 1 subwoofer. I am looking for new preprocessor for only 9 channel.
Is it worth spending more money for AVM 70 (new) instead of AVM 60 (used) ?

·
Registered
539 Posts
New Anthem come with "Next-Generation DSP Platform" and "New DAC", I believe those two factors will affect the sound quality.

Reactions: Anthemlover

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on this. I've never owned anything from Anthem. Currently own 3 Denon receivers. I hear Anthem are good products but so is Denon. I too hope the AVM70 is worth spending the money

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
My room setup is 9 channel with 1 subwoofer. I am looking for new preprocessor for only 9 channel.
Is it worth spending more money for AVM 70 (new) instead of AVM 60 (used) ?
Well, I can't take advantage of the additional speakers the 70 and 90 will offer. I do have dual subs, but they are dialed in quite well on my AVM60, otherwise the actual dual independent sub EQ would be nice. If HDMI 2.1 is something important to you, then wait for the 70 as I believe it will be 2.1 or have an upgrade path available.

I think the 60 would do you fine with your current setup. Explore the features of the 70 and compare to 60. One thing people don't like about the 60 is that it requires a USB stick to upgrade firmware. I believe the new ones will be able to do it over your network, and they will offer other features that the 60 does not have. You'll have to judge how important those are. I'm not upgrading in the near future unless reports from other AVM60 owners that make the jump say it's like night and day. While I'm sure it will be some improvement, I don't think it will be night and day. The 60 is pretty darned good inspite of its age. I am looking forward to reports on the new units though.

·
Registered
948 Posts
One thing people don't like about the 60 is that it requires a USB stick to upgrade firmware. I believe the new ones will be able to do it over your network, and they will offer other features that the 60 does not have.
It’s true it does require a stick and would potentially be more convenient over the network. However I did it recently and it was the most trivial of processes and far less heart in mouth than I’ve had with Denon and Yamaha in the past where it can take over 30 minutes to complete an update over the network. The Denon servers in particular seem really bad, often taking numerous attempts to connect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm also looking to upgrade. My room will start as 5.2+4, so as far a channels go, the AVM60 would be fine. The key feature I'm after is eARC. As far as I know, AVM60 doesn't support that. I realize that eARC can be added with the Thenaudio module, ($150 buck or so), but then it's only a few bucks more to get the new updated processor with room for expansion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if anyone is offering a trade in for those of us who own an AVM 60 and want to upgrade to an AVM 70? I would upgrade to an AVM70 if I could get a decent trade-in deal for my AVM 60.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Why dont you just sell your 60..?
I sold my here on the classifieds in just a couple of days. Although I moved away from Anthem and got the HTP-1. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The AVM60 would be all you need and more. The 70 would be inaudible overkill for 9.1.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,393 Posts
Does anyone know if anyone is offering a trade in for those of us who own an AVM 60 and want to upgrade to an AVM 70? I would upgrade to an AVM70 if I could get a decent trade-in deal for my AVM 60.
You could sell your AVM60 and buy an AVM70. Doubt an AVM 60 be hard to sell.

Hope the AVM70 sound quality improve significantly compared to AVM 60
The sound quality wont be different IMO unless the difference comes with control of 2 subs and better ARC phase controls. I went from an MRX 720 (used only with external amps) to an AVM 70 and did not find sound better (or worse). I ended up selling my AVM 70 and going back to the MRX 720.

Reactions: eriksells916
1 - 14 of 14 Posts