AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2619 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This deserves it's own thread I think. Anthem has unveiled that there will be 2 new processors, along with a new line of receivers. The AVM 70 is a 15.2 channel processor with an MSRP of $3,499 and the AVM 90 is a 15.4 channel processor with upgraded circuitry with an MSRP of $6,999.

Some more information can be found here

and here

More information will likely be released today. Very interested in how the processors will calibrate multiple subs. I know each sub channel will have it's own phase/delay settings. I wonder how much of it will be calibrated automatically via ARC. I'm guessing/assuming since ARC doesn't do delay settings, you will have to determine and enter the delay values manually, but we shall see. At least the flexibility is there without having to use outboard DSP to calibrate multiple subs.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't 15ch seem odd?
Same amount as the HTP-1 and SDP-55. They don't include the sub channel(s) in that 15 channels, unlike the other processors that just say 16 channel. In my particular situation, I have 3 mains (L/C/R) 6 surround speakers and 6 atmos speakers and 4 subs. That's the full 15.4 of the AVM90.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Doesn't 15ch seem odd?
Not really if the sub channels are in addition so more like 17 and 19 channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I genuinely hope their admin processes have gotten better with these updates. Anthem are way behind in terms of making their products accessible over HTTP, for instance. And before that update, I'd like them to automatically download and apply patches via ethernet/wifi.

Update: In the Anthem MRX* forum, I see that these updates are already being applied in the new line. Thank heavens!!!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Will be following this thread. I have a Marantz 8802A and looking for a new toy. I like the Anthem line, the way the company supports their products and the prices seem reasonable given the competition. I also like that they are offering an upgrade path to HDMI 2.1.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts

Reactions: Blackdevil77

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Glad they're coming out, but why no DTS:X Pro and no Aura 3D?

And if you use a miniDSP, you only need one sub out, so you don't have to pay that premium on the 4-sub version.

Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad they're coming out, but why no DTS:X Pro and no Aura 3D?

And if you use a miniDSP, you only need one sub out, so you don't have to pay that premium on the 4-sub version.
I’m not sure about the first part, but more information may be released this afternoon.

As far as the sub outs, depending on the abilities of the discrete sub channels, you may not need a mini dsp for your subs. Either way, the AVM90 has upgraded audio circuitry so there’s more to it than just two additional sub channels.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I’m not sure about the first part, but more information may be released this afternoon.

As far as the sub outs, depending on the abilities of the discrete sub channels, you may not need a mini dsp for your subs. Either way, the AVM90 has upgraded audio circuitry so there’s more to it than just two additional sub channels.
Looks like the MRX 1140 and both AVM models do include DTS:X Pro.

There's a countdown clock on anthemav.com, so the information should be out soon.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Reactions: mik2h and ChadCT73

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow, the better DAC and "circuitry" have doubled the price of the AVM 90 compared to the AVM70?

Are these audible differences, or just measurable?

Here's the DAC being used in the AVM90: AK4499EQ | PRODUCTS | VELVET SOUND | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices
Wondering the same thing. I know several people have said they didn’t see a drop in audio quality moving from the once “flagship” D2V to the AVM60, so it’s hard to imagine the AVM90 will sound $3,000 better than the AVM70. Perhaps a small incremental upgrade noticeable in well treated rooms - hopefully we’ll see an A/B comparison in the upcoming months

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
One thing bugging me is this strange pattern to get away from on screen displays. When I turn up the volume, I'd like to use my Harmony and see it on the screen, not have to reach for my phone, type in my password, go to the app, and look on the screen to see my volume level. Same for just general menus.

I'd prefer this be an option, rather than an absolute.

·
Registered
871 Posts
One thing bugging me is this strange pattern to get away from on screen displays. When I turn up the volume, I'd like to use my Harmony and see it on the screen, not have to reach for my phone, type in my password, go to the app, and look on the screen to see my volume level. Same for just general menus.

I'd prefer this be an option, rather than an absolute.
I thought the same thing, but once you get into it I think you’ll find the web ui is so much better than an OSD. In regards to volume, I agree but it’s not a huge deal. I use a dedicated device for control right now. First it was an old iPhone, and then I switched to a cheap tablet. I either use the device just for display purposes and control the volume from the universal remote. Or I just use the device for volume control. But everything is headed to web ui now so definitely not something impact a decision.

Reactions: Scarriere

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I had been waiting for the successor to the AVM 60, to upgrade from my AVM 20, MCA 50 combo,

I was concerned that the AVM 70 would be significantly more money than the AVM 60, and am impressed at the MSRP of $3,499.

That being said, I pulled the trigger on the Denon x3700h AVR for under $1,000 a couple months ago, and am currently using it in "pre-amp only" mode with my MCA 50.

I look forward to hearing all the good things about the AVM 70 and 90 in the coming days.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Wow, the better DAC and "circuitry" have doubled the price of the AVM 90 compared to the AVM70?

Are these audible differences, or just measurable?

Here's the DAC being used in the AVM90: AK4499EQ | PRODUCTS | VELVET SOUND | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices
In this industry (hobby) 2x the price does not translate to twice as good. Probably the updated DACs is more likely a 10% gain in performance. Buyers have to decide is the juice worth the squeeze.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
So no Aura 3D, at least at launch.

1 - 20 of 2619 Posts