AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering this upgrade. Who has already done it and are you happy with the new upgraded unit? Would you recommend it?

At $2300 it seems like a pretty good deal to me. I want an HDMI capable prepro to take advantage of the new audio formats available from my HD-HVD and Blu-ray players. The Gennum video processor is a bonus although I can live without one.

I'm not too bothered that its not HDMI 1.3, but I would consider buying a new prepro if there is an HDMI 1.3 capable prepro out there within $1000 of the AVM20 upgrade price.

I put a similar post in the 11,000 post thread but got no response from anyone who had bought the upgrade. I'm hoping that a separate thread might attract more attention.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop /forum/post/12983779

I am seriously considering this upgrade. Who has already done it and are you happy with the new upgraded unit? Would you recommend it?

At $2300 it seems like a pretty good deal to me. I want an HDMI capable prepro to take advantage of the new audio formats available from my HD-HVD and Blu-ray players. The Gennum video processor is a bonus although I can live without one.

I'm not too bothered that its not HDMI 1.3, but I would consider buying a new prepro if there is an HDMI 1.3 capable prepro out there within $1000 of the AVM20 upgrade price.

I put a similar post in the 11,000 post thread but got no response from anyone who had bought the upgrade. I'm hoping that a separate thread might attract more attention.

Thanks.

I have the AVM 30 and at $2300.00 I never seriously considered the upgrade. You comment that you could live without the Gennum. So why would you want to spend the $2300.00 for something you really might not need or want.

There are several HDMI 1.3 pre-pros the Integra 9.8 and the Onkyo Pro 885. You could also use any number of HDMI 1.3 receivers as pre-pros as well. This is what I am planning on doing most likely a Denon 3808. With all these units you not only get HDMI 1.3 but also get decoding for the new HD formats and room correction/EQ.

You should be able to get $1000-1100 easily for your AVM 20 and that would go towards a good amount of the cost of a 9.8/885 or a receiver. In the long run you could save close to the amount of the upgrade to spend on other components for your system. I see more and more Anthem owners with the AVM series and D1/2 owners doing this same thing. Much more so than I read about people doing the upgrade.

Bill

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill, thanks for the reply, you make some very good points. I must admit I have not been very open to considering the Onkyo/Integra for the simple reason that I don't see how something in that price range can possibly match the sound quality of the Anthem. I have tried hard to have the best sounding theater I could afford and do not want to downgrade. But you have got me thinking and I'm going to look into them. I'll start reading.. lord knows there's enough been written in this forum. Not sure where I could go to audition one - I don't know who sells them around here (Toronto) and their websites weren't any help in that regard.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Sold my Anthem AVM20 and replaced with the Onkyo 885 and have never looked back. Much easier to set up and the sound and detail are amazing. $2300 for upgrade vs $1649 for Onkyo is a no brainer. Also, i noticed the value of used Anthems is falling fast. I have a Sony Pearl, PS3, and A35 all hooked up through hdmi and everything works great.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
Kabillyhop,

I had a Onkyo 905 (as a pre-pro) for a short while and can say that without a doubt it has very good SQ. I would say for HT the 905 was better than the AVM 30 but do not consider it a fair comparison. I say that because with the 905 you are able to use the Audyessy room correction which is not possible with the AVM 30. For 2 channel listening I felt the AVM 30 was slightly better with both comparisons using the analog direct settings.

promike is dead on with his thoughts IMO, especially inregard to the dropping prices of Anthem products. I have had my AVM 30 on audiogon for about 11 days with not one solid offer. Several months ago AVM 30s were being sold much quicker and at higher prices than they are now. I will most likely have to sell my AVM 30 for much less than I thought.

My plan is once I sell my AVM 30 is to get a Denon 3808 which I have already had in my system. Like with the 905 it is better (again not a fair comparison IMO) than the AVM 30 with HT. But is less than impressive with 2 channel compared to the AVM 30. To be able to still enjoy 2 channel listening I read of several members using a dedicated 2 channel pre-amp with HT pass thru which can be used in a HT system.

I started a thread in the 2 channel forum with questions and suggestions for preamps with HT pass thru. Many good suggestions were posted and I decided on the Proceed Pre (thanks whoaru
). With this combination I feel I will have the best of both worlds. A receiver with HDMI 1.3, decoding for the new HD formats and room correction/EQ. Having the Proceed in my system will give me excellent 2 channel performance as well.

Hopefully I will get close to the current asking price of my AVM 30. With the cost of the 3808 (from a authorized on-line vendor) and buying the Proceed on audiogon I will spend about $1750.00 for both. I feel that is a bargain considering I am raising the SQ in my system for both HT and 2 channel performance

Bill

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, you guys and others in other threads have just about convinced me. Sounds like the Onkyo/Integra would be a good alternative - better in many ways - than upgrading the AVM20. Except for one advantage that the AVM20 has - I could probably upgrade it without my wife even noticing that there was something new in the rack. That can also be an important consideration.

I was willing to spend more than these prepros are costing. What would be the next level up?

I must say that Marantz looks beautiful in the pictures!! If it will be sold without the amp I would be very interested and it may be worth waiting for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts