AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent many hours now looking at various posts. I'm looking for your input on these 3 specific preamps.

So far I like them all.

I like the Rotel but I wish it had balanced outputs though. Love the screen.

Anthem looks nice but does it have video upconversion like the other 2?

B&K is cheaper but can it compete in sound quality?

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Anthem doesn't have video convesion now; but plans are (last rumor I read was early next year) for an upgrade to include HMDI switching (4 in, 1 out); IEEE 1394 inputs (2), and video transcoding (conversion of composite and S-vid to component).

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
This post is a bit of a can of worms, due to the loyal following of each brand. I'll try to stick to facts (kind of)

Anthem - As stated the planned updates for 2005 will include the following:

- IEEE1394 input for DVD-A and SACD (2 inputs)

- HDMI inputs (4) and HDMI output (1). HDMI also accepts DVD-A.

- Video transcoding that runs S-Video, Component Video, and HDMI inputs through a scaler.

Also long overdue is a free firmware upgrade for DPLIIx, last I read was Nov. '04

Best track record for upgrades of the three IMO.

B&K Ref 50 - I'd say if you can wait, take a look at Ref50v2. This will at least include DPLIIx.

Rotel 1098 IMO the screen is gimicky and I've read it's anoying that it turns on at the slightest touch of a remote button. IMO a $3k pre should have balanced outs, yes, even if they are not turely balanced.

SQ - OK, my experience based on personal listening is Anthem, Rotel, B&K. My opinion only, may not be yours. Listen for yourself.

·
Registered
17,185 Posts
I assume the IEEE1394 is firewire? Also If I bought an avm-30 would I get to take advantage of all the 2005 updates or would some not be able to be had with the avm-30? Also what can I expect to pay for the ref 50 v2 vs the avm-30 If I look around?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yes, 1394 = Firewire.

Yes if you buy an AVM now, you can send it in for the update later, once available. there will be a cost, of course and nobody knows waht that will be yet.

I have heard rumor that the 50v2 will be MSRP of $2300-2400. The MSRP on the AVM is $2999, but you can usually get a discount for 10-15% off MSRP for each.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ve worked out a pretty decent deal to trade my Ref 50 for the upgraded version. I’ve gone into review mode till it’s available. Trying to talk myself into the Krell HTS but if I don’t I’ll stick with the B&K. It’s an excellent pre/pro for the money in every respect. If you care about using a pre/pro ‘direct’ (I do), IMO you get to Krell or Lexicon before you beat it. If all you care about is digital processing, again IMO, buy something like a Pio Elite receiver and use it as a pre/pro. Having said that, I've got an audition set up later this week for the new Sherwood. Listening for yourself is the best advice you'll ever get. Good luck!!:)

·
Registered
865 Posts
...there is a comparative review of the anthem, krell, and parasound halo in the current issue of Sound & Vision magazine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was on the phone yesterday with a dealer who sells both Anthem and Rotel. He told me that it was unlikely that the firewire and hdmi upgrades would be available on the AVM30. He thought these new connections would only be available for the statement model D1.

I can't help but wonder if he was just trying to get me to spend 2K more for the D1. I really don't want to spend 5K right now on the preamp when I can get the AVM30 and an amp for 5K.

Has anyone heard either way?

Are there any Anthem people reading this thread?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Also keep in mind that B&K Ref 50 S2 will include lot more features than DPL2x. Maybe SteveH can chime in.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You're right, he is trying to get you to buy a D1. From everything I have read the upgrades are for the D1 and the AVM30 and actually I think also for the AVM20! I also read the review in Sound and Vision and was impressed with the AVM30. If it sounds that good to the reviewer I wonder what the D1 sounds like to him?

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
All the hardware upgrades will be for the D1 first, then the AVM30 and AVM20. Should be early next year.

Between the AVM30 and the Rotel 1098, and after trying both, the AVM30 is the clear winner. The 1098 won't be upgradable. You will have to sell it and buy the next Rotel iteration. Early AVM20 users are still laughing out loud after using the same machine for 3-4 years w/o having to upgrade, with the proven hardware upgrade path...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Man you guys sure make a strong case (not in same threads)

that if I ever go to seperates to just take the plunge and get an

Anthem AVM30 and a Gemstone amp.

Anyone feel the need to donate $5500 to me? ;)

Dreamaster

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by msb212
Anyone have a link to the AVM30 review online? couldn't find it on the website
Maybe that's why they also sell magazines.

They are not in business, just to give the entire magazine away for free to read on the internet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnla
Maybe that's why they also sell magazines.

They are not in business, just to give the entire magazine away for free to read on the internet.
Wow, you're really a jerk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.