AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via component output at 1080i regardless of the connection and resolution it is inputted into the D1 originally?

Does that mean that if I buy one of these, I can use it to input current HDMI output from an upsampling DVD player into the D1, and then out from there and into my HDTV via component inputs at that same 1080i output?

Will that same thing work for future HD(CP)-DVD players too???

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
The D1 will follow the rules of HDCP. So it's component output will be unrestricted for non-hdcp content. For HDCP content the analog out will be restricted to 480p.

I believe the Oppo DVD player doesn't output HDCP so its a good candidate for people with component only displays and a digital in scaler.

The real beauty will come with digital in to digital out.

Ken

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
The D1 will follow the rules of HDCP. So it's component output will be unrestricted for non-hdcp content. For HDCP content the analog out will be restricted to 480p.
Okay... so the Anthem would be worthless to me then as a video switcher.

Quote:
The real beauty will come with digital in to digital out.
What is so beautiful about this? I bought my current pre-pro because of its' wonderful performance as an analog preamp. Why would I want to re-digitize my music?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
For that matter I believe any scaler will restrict the output through analog component out at 480p if the input is via digital HDCP connection provided they are following the rules. Therefore I don't think this is a flaw on Anthem's part. I think when Ken is mentioning the digital in /out part he is referring to video part & not the audio.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
I think when Ken is mentioning the digital in /out part he is referring to video part & not the audio.
Even with video, my HDTV is CRT based and displays an analog, not digital, signal...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I also have a CRT display and have a couple newbie questions:

1) I'm under the assumption that a 480p/i signal from a DVD player or cable box can be upscaled by the Anthem which will/can output the signal at 1080i into my TV's 1080i component and/or DVI (via an HDMI/DVI converter). At this point, the TV will have done none of the scaling (just the digital to analog conversion). Is this correct?

2) Are we saying that this new scaler is so good that any internal scalers in the TV, DVD, or cable box should be bypassed in favor of the Anthem's scaler?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
buddha3,

1) That's the way I understand it. If you use the analog input you can scale to any supported output resolution.

2) Yes, that's what we're saying.

Any good external scaler is going to do a better job than the display's builtin scaler almost without exception. The D1 scaler should be an exceptional external scaler with superior electronics to any shipping scaler I know of under $12k.

Merc,

Vinod got it right. I was talking video. For audio you'll want HDMI 1.1 digital in from a digital source and let the D1 work its digital to analog magic. (at a minimum you'll want to evaluate it as a possible alternative)

The D1 is also an exceptional analog processor. I use its Analog Direct mode with the analog outs on my DVD-audio player through my custom made Belden/Canare high resolution cables. It's the best I've ever heard, but I look forward to enjoying DVD-A over HDMI. (Soon I hope. I have ordered the player)

Ken

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken,

Did you buy your Anthem D1 at Sound World on Belaire, and how much did you pay for it?

If you wish, please get back to me via PM with this info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand
buddha3,

1) That's the way I understand it. If you use the analog input you can scale to any supported output resolution.

2) Yes, that's what we're saying.

Any good external scaler is going to do a better job than the display's builtin scaler almost without exception. The D1 scaler should be an exceptional external scaler with superior electronics to any shipping scaler I know of under $12k.
Thanks, Ken. This has me stoked. Now I must explain to the spouse why we need this upgrade. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.