AVS Forum banner

45261 - 45280 of 45307 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Interesting. Keep in mind no OSD on Output 2 is normal.
I realize that no OSD on #2 is normal.
I was doing tests with an older 983 Oppo player. Trying to be as basic as possible.

While testing I noticed sometimes an input or an output would work intermittently. I would swap cables out. Sometimes they would work and sometimes not. Anthem has a mind of it's own. After the firmware upgrade though, nothing works. Maybe the Anthem just got worse with use?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sent my Anthem D2v in for repairs. They said to send it to Anthem in care of Sam-Son Distribution. (To take it into Canada). All I can do is check on the tracking # and it says it arrived in Buffalo, NY on Sept. 18. How long does Anthem take to do a repair? I tried e-mailing Anthem but got no response.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,478 Posts
Sent my Anthem D2v in for repairs. They said to send it to Anthem in care of Sam-Son Distribution. (To take it into Canada). All I can do is check on the tracking # and it says it arrived in Buffalo, NY on Sept. 18. How long does Anthem take to do a repair? I tried e-mailing Anthem but got no response.
Repairs at Anthem are quite quick once they receive the unit. The Customs delay going into Canada and back out again -- along with transit time in shipping -- is usually what takes longest. Anthem does this a lot, so they've got the Customs part down to as fast as possible.
--Bob

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Will they notify me when they receive it and keep me updated? Living in Michigan, I thought it would be quicker.
I just got back a blu ray player from Oppo and their service was excellent. Kept me informed of everything.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just joined the Statement D2v club. I upgraded from a Onkyo PR-SC885.

My old Audiosource Amps failed after my son left them on all day in a closed equipment closet. So I replaced them with a used Anthem PVA 7. Even though the PVA 7 was rated as having less power than the old amps it had more gain and were dead quiet. This got Anthem on my radar. I was eyeing the AVM 60, but after a lot of research and the realization that I was not interested in running speaker wire for more speakers or upgrading to a 4K projector, a used D2v started to look really attractive.

I found one for $1100 delivered which is roughly half of what I would have paid for an AVM 60. It was a little bit of a pain in the butt to get the parts and pieces I needed to run ARC, Kit on EBay, serial to USB adapter, but it was worth it as the results are awesome.

I am only running the EQ up to 500 Hz. The bass is great. Good punch without sounding boomy and my speakers (JTRs) sound the way they did when I got them. With Audyssey I had the choice of boomy bass or veiled sounding speakers. It is amazing to not have to make that choice.

One of the weird things is that my 1080P video seems to look better. I can’t figure out why as I assumed that just letting it pass through the Onkyo was the best option.

I haven’t even messed with the video settings. I guess the video processing is the D2v really is a step above the equipment I am used to.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
My D2v came without a remote. Using the Harmony Hub remote is lacking.

Specifically I can’t get into the setup menu and there is no back button.

Without having the original remote, I can’t teach these commands to the hub.

Does anyone have a solution or an idea of where to get a replacement remote?
Most Owners got TWO REMOTES when their D2 arrived

You could post an ad on here looking to buy a spare remote

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
By the way, am I fooling myself that the video is improved by being processed by the D2v?

Could it be the the Sigma Designs VXP is that much better than the Silicon Optics Reon HQV video processor in my Projector?

This was not scaling anything. Both processors were being fed 1080P over HDMI. I could expect a difference if I was upscaling SD video, but I don’t know why HD would look any different unless it has something to do with the color space.

This was not something I was expecting or looking for, but there seems to be a difference. Maybe I am just imagining it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an Anthem AVM 50 (unfortunately not the v or 3D model) and I realize that it is an older model. I use this primarily for 2 channel audio but do have 2 video sources going through the unit (one PS2 game console connected through a composite video connection and a tv provider set top box (which is not 4k capable)). Both of these devices are output to the tv through the HDMI out on the AVM 50 and connected to a 4k 65" tv.
When I first purchased this unit I was able to enter the setup and see it displayed on the 65" tv along with the Anthem startup logo and the information bar at the bottom of the screen (volume, source, levels, etc). Now for some reason I am unable to see any of that on the tv. The screen stays blank or there is a box centered on the screen that shows vertical moving lines. Even when pressing the "7" key on the remote to enter the video setup option.
So far I have tried the following:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry about that... my keyboard is doing strange things...

- I can enter the configuration screen but is only visible on the front of the unit.

So far I have tried the following steps:
- Changed HDMI ports on tv
- changed HDMI cables (tried older HDMI and new HDMI 2.x cables)
- verified settings in the video configuration (from main setup screen).
- output is set to HDMI preferred,
- Native Resolution is currently set to "Auto" (have tried 1920x1080p 60 and 720x480p 60)
- Color Space is set to HDTV
- Data is set to "Auto"
- Tried an older 1080p tv and not able to get the setup/ configuration/ information screens to display

Still not getting a display on the tv for the setup or video configuration screens.
- factory reset AVM 50 through the menu

Still no change
- Turned off the A/C switch for approximately 30 minutes
When powered back up the front display shows "Power Interrupted: Check Current Time". I have not been able to locate any option to check the time on this unit

I was able to get the start up logo and information bar to show up. Turned off the unit by using the remote when I went to work and am back to the same issue. I have factory reset the unit again (powered off after the reset and restarted) and am unable to get the startup logo, setup screen, video configuration screen or information bar to display again.

Overall I do really enjoy the unit and am impressed with the audio quality. The video passthrough and upscaling are working great. I would like to be able to get this unit setup to maximize it's capabilities.
Any assistance would be appreciated

Kevin

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Next set the sub volumes separately. Turn one sub off (at the sub itself -- unplug it if necessary). Go to Setup > Level Calibration. Zero out every line in there. Then set Noise Level to produce 75dB SPL (the LF speaker will be the one playing). Then scroll to either sub line and, leaving that line at 0dB, adjust the volume knob in the still powered sub to produce 73dB SPL (not 75dB). Turn off that sub and turn on the other sub (again, at the subs). Adjust it's volume knob to also produce 73dB. You are done. In combo they'll produce roughly 75dB and they are balance with respect to each other. "Roughly" is close enough.

3) Next set the phase for each sub separately. With only one sub powered at a time, adjust the Polarity/Phase for that sub to best match the LF speaker. Use the phase/polarity controls on the sub itself. You'll need the phase adjustment tones on a calibration DVD -- details are in those post links in the first post of this thread. When both subs are in phase with LF then they are also in phase with each other.

I did all the above but when I play a calibration disc (Avia) the volume is too low. Since I set the Noise Level and the sub in the Level Calibration for 75db should it play that loud or do I have to turn up the volume on the Anthem to 75db using an SPL Meter to hear the dvd at 75db? I also have another disc called AIX. Is this one better than the Avia?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I did all the above but when I play a calibration disc (Avia) the volume is too low. Since I set the Noise Level and the sub in the Level Calibration for 75db should it play that loud or do I have to turn up the volume on the Anthem to 75db using an SPL Meter to hear the dvd at 75db?

The 75 dB is arbitrary but a comfortable level for calibration. Once you exit the calibration menu you can turn up the volume as much as you want. It depends on what level the test tones on disc were mastered at. Same with movies, they are mastered at various levels.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thanks, Kind of what I thought. I was trying to dial in the phase and I couldn't hear any difference from 0 to 180. Now I'm wondering what is the purpose of setting the noise level at 75db?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
It’s to set the gain on the subs to a nominal level so that ARC can fine tune levels without being burdened with gross adjustments. That keeps the software happy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 75 dB is all arbitrary. You can turn up the volume as much as you want. It depends on what level the test tones disc was mastered at. Same with movies, they are mastered at various levels.
No entirely arbitrary. For a specific/reference input volume the output should be a specific/reference SPL.

While ARC will adjust the balance among the different channels (front, center, sub, etc) it has a limited adjustment range. So you really want the sub amp(s) close to the reference so as not to run into the ARC limits as it tries to balance.

Also if ARC has to cut the sub a large amount to balance, it can cause the sub to shut off during quiet passages

·
Read the FAQ!
35,478 Posts
Sorry about that... my keyboard is doing strange things...

- I can enter the configuration screen but is only visible on the front of the unit.

So far I have tried the following steps:
- Changed HDMI ports on tv
- changed HDMI cables (tried older HDMI and new HDMI 2.x cables)
- verified settings in the video configuration (from main setup screen).
- output is set to HDMI preferred,
- Native Resolution is currently set to "Auto" (have tried 1920x1080p 60 and 720x480p 60)
- Color Space is set to HDTV
- Data is set to "Auto"
- Tried an older 1080p tv and not able to get the setup/ configuration/ information screens to display

Still not getting a display on the tv for the setup or video configuration screens.
- factory reset AVM 50 through the menu

Still no change
- Turned off the A/C switch for approximately 30 minutes
When powered back up the front display shows "Power Interrupted: Check Current Time". I have not been able to locate any option to check the time on this unit

I was able to get the start up logo and information bar to show up. Turned off the unit by using the remote when I went to work and am back to the same issue. I have factory reset the unit again (powered off after the reset and restarted) and am unable to get the startup logo, setup screen, video configuration screen or information bar to display again.

Overall I do really enjoy the unit and am impressed with the audio quality. The video passthrough and upscaling are working great. I would like to be able to get this unit setup to maximize it's capabilities.
Any assistance would be appreciated

Kevin
First make sure you are using the Main HDMI output socket on the back of the Anthem. The on screen display stuff is only present on that output, not on the 2nd HDMI output just below it.

If that's not it, get in touch with Anthem tech support. They will likely recommend you do a re-install of the firmware (which starts with doing a Reset Factory Defaults on the unit). They can walk you through that.
--Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

question, is it possible to use rca and xlr connections mixed with the d2v3d? I currently have all my power amsp and subs connected with RCA. But i have bought a pro cinema subwoofer with an external power amp that only has xlr and trs inputs. So question is, should i use rca to xlr, rca to trs connectors or i can use XLR connection straight into the power amp? What would be the most beneficial ?

Regards
Peter

45261 - 45280 of 45307 Posts