AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm new to this world of HD devices, so my questions are very basic.

I will buy the Paradigm Signature S8 front speakers, and I need to know:

a) I have been reading great things about the Anthem D2 & P5, but do I need them both to fully use and enjoy my Signature S8?

b) If I have to choose between the D2 & P5, which one should I buy first?

c) Do you recommend to me, the Anthem D2, P5 and Paradigm Signature S8?

Strauss.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm not trying to tell you that you NEED both, but if you had to buy one first I would suggest the p5 since it probably won't be changing anytime soon. The D2 on the other hand could be getting an HDMI upgrade.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,731 Posts
The D2 is a "pre-amp/processor". It handles audio and video processing from your various source devices. But it does not include power amplification for your speakers.

The P5 is a 5 channel audio power amplifier.

Contrast with an audio-video "receiver" product (an "AVR") which includes speaker power amps inside the same chassis with its audio and video processing functions.

So you can't use the D2 alone -- it needs to be paired with an amp for your speakers. The P5 is a pretty special amp. You could start with a less exotic multi-channel amp to begin. The D2 will pair up with any reasonable speaker power amp. [NOTE: The D2 is actually capable of driving 7 speakers (and a subwoofer which usually contains its own built in power amp). So if you are considering a 7.1 speaker setup, you will actually need 7 channels of audio amplification. For example combining an Anthem P5 and P2 with the D2.]

You could, on the other hand, get the amp and pair it with any simpler pre-amp/processor for now. But you will definitely need at least the basic functions -- source selection, volume control and the like -- which a processor provides. So you can't use the P5 power amp alone either.

The D2, and its cousin the Anthem AVM-50, are pretty sophisticated products. Look for the D2/AVM50 "tweaking" thread here in this forum. Read the first post and then you might want to just skip to the end if you have further questions on them.

The power amp products (P5, P2, and Anthem's less expensive amps such as the A5) are much simpler in concept -- although the details of their engineering can make for some tough reading. You will find whatever you likely need to know about them to begin with by looking at their write ups on the Anthem Statement product web site.

--Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Mr. Bob Pariseau, your answer was a pleasure to read.

If I want a 7.1 system, I would need to buy the P2 too, interesting.

I think I will buy the P5, the amp, first, and use my Onkyo receiver to control the inputs, etc.

The Signature S8 front speakers can handle 500 watts, so if I buy the P5 that is able to handle 3600 watts, I can use the S8 at full 500 watts, or it isn't recommended?

Strauss.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,731 Posts
Short of an accident, it is highly unlikely you will ever drive those speakers at their full rated power. You wouldn't be able to stand the volume that would produce. As you can imagine, Anthem has designed its flag ship audio power amp to handle the needs of the most demanding speakers offered by their parent company, Paradigm. It is likely you will be operating that amp at well below full volume, which means the extra power reserve will be ample to handle dynamic audio passages.

Really your best bet is to go do some listening of stuff you like to listen to, stuff you are really familiar with, at an Anthem Statement and Paradigm dealer. Ideally, if you want to use your Onkyo, you should try to arrange to bring that along and hook it up so you can get the feel of how well it works used that way. If your Anthem dealer has a D2 in stock to demo (they tend to be backordered) he will likely want to have you listen to it hooked up through their amps and speakers as well. Be prepared for a shock. The D2 is a pretty amazing piece of audio gear when set up properly.

That said, if you don't want the expense of upgrading everything at once, it is wise to concentrate first on speakers and then, if you are going for separate-piece electronics, on amps well matched to those speakers.

But I think if you spend any serious amount of time listening to a D2 you are going to be sorely tempted to get it as well.

--Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, Bob.

I only have one last question, what amount of watts do you recommend to fully enjoy the Paradigm S8?

I know a lot about HD TV's, actually I plan on buying the latest Sharp LCD TV that displays 27.000:1 contrast, but I'm a bit ignorant about HD Audio, so when I buy the equipment mentioned earlier, I will have a lot of questions here in AVSForum, to fully enjoy my investment.

You have answered all my questions perfectly, Bob, thanks.

Strauss.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I own the Signature S8's and would love to power them with the Anthem P5. I also own the Signature C5. I would love the power of the Anthem P5 to power the S8's and C5, however, I cannot justify the price of the P5 to power my small side surround speakers receiving 325 watts each.

That's really sad because Ive heard the speakers and the Anthem are a great match. I've thought about getting the P2 or maybe 2 of them. I just wish Anthem made a P3 to power the front 3 speakers because that's where I'd want that type and quality of power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts