AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally ordered my speakers (SF Cremona M 5.1) and had decided on the Anthem D2 v2 processor. Unfortunately, they won't start production until mid-January, with first shipments the end of the month. My dealer is suggesting the Denon AVP-1 as a better choice when linked up with Mac Amps, and they are available now. For the Denon crowd, how do you like this processor? For everyone else, thoughts? Happy New Year to all!

· Registered
310 Posts
Quick question: What Cremonas did you go with for your surrounds? I'm going for the Cremona M's for my mains and am debating on whether I should do the Auditor M's or Auditor Elipsas for my surrounds. I have a feeling that the M's would match better tonally, but as there will only be about 2 inches between the rear port and the wall, I'm wondering if the Auditor Elipsas would work better, as they are actually designed for on-wall or close to wall positioning.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in the same situation. My dealer is suggesting the Elipsas based on the fact that my seating is only 8" from the rear wall, and he claims that because of their shape they will disburse the sound better. What are you using for a processor and amp?

· Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm using the Denon AVP matched with the POA amp and enjoying them very much. I'm sure the Anthem will sound great. I had a D1 and it was very nice, I sold it to get the Denon just because I wanted to try something different. I'm sure lots of fans will jump in here with differing opinions, this is just mine.

· Registered
364 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmar2 /forum/post/15414650

I am in the same situation. My dealer is suggesting the Elipsas based on the fact that my seating is only 8" from the rear wall, and he claims that because of their shape they will disburse the sound better. What are you using for a processor and amp?

I'd be using a Denon 3802 receiver to drive this stuff at first

Obviously, I replacement pre/amp is in order. Looking at the D2v2, Denon AVP, Integra 9.9 (the cheap route), and perhaps the Halo C3 (though this probably won't be available for a while). I'd consider the Cary C11a if it weren't so buggy, as I do a decent amount of 2 channel listening as well. I'm totally open on amp suggestions, but I'll admit I really like the Class D options, like Nuforce or Wyred4Sound as I dig the low heat/high-efficiency route. Parasound Halo might work as would Sunfire. I want a more "musical" sound as opposed to clinical.

anyone try any of the ICE-powered amps or Nuforce with Sonus faber? All I've heard is Macintosh and BAT solid stage with the Cremona M's. Didn't care for the Mac sound, really liked the BAT.

· Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence /forum/post/15422480

I'd be using a Denon 3802 receiver to drive this stuff at first

Obviously, I replacement pre/amp is in order. Looking at the D2v2, Denon AVP, Integra 9.9 (the cheap route), and perhaps the Halo C3 (though this probably won't be available for a while). I'd consider the Cary C11a if it weren't so buggy, as I do a decent amount of 2 channel listening as well. I'm totally open on amp suggestions, but I'll admit I really like the Class D options, like Nuforce or Wyred4Sound as I dig the low heat/high-efficiency route. Parasound Halo might work as would Sunfire. I want a more "musical" sound as opposed to clinical.

anyone try any of the ICE-powered amps or Nuforce with Sonus faber? All I've heard is Macintosh and BAT solid stage with the Cremona M's. Didn't care for the Mac sound, really liked the BAT.

You could buy the 9.9 prepro now, and in the future you could by a great 2 channel preamp with HT Bypass. Then you would have a great HT system and a Kick ass 2 channel system all rolled up in one. Also, when technology has passed this and the other prepos mentioned you can dump the prepro and keep the 2 channel rig, it should last 20 years. So you could use it with other future prepros

On the amp question...Sorry, not into digital amps

· Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Influence if you do 2 channel I would highley recomend a pre with a HT bypass. I bought a asterix calypso and couldn't be happyer. When I do HT I simply put it on bypass and use the processor. That way the processor has nothing to do with your 2ch. I see you are in NJ also I went to Audio Connection they are pretty good at the 2 channel thing if you are close to verona. For the HT they sell Cary I bought a 11a there and returned it to many bugs but the sound was awesome and for the price once they get the bugs worked out will be hard to beat but I am also waiting for the D2 V2 I really want that. But if you want one unit for HT and 2 ch you may really want to consider the Cary 11a it was quite nice sounding. Although I haven't herd a D2V2.

· Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmar2 /forum/post/15414286

I finally ordered my speakers (SF Cremona M 5.1) and had decided on the Anthem D2 v2 processor. Unfortunately, they won't start production until mid-January, with first shipments the end of the month. My dealer is suggesting the Denon AVP-1 as a better choice when linked up with Mac Amps, and they are available now. For the Denon crowd, how do you like this processor? For everyone else, thoughts? Happy New Year to all!

For what its worth, I used a Denon receiver as a prepro in my system for about six months, never could get it dialed in right. Very unhappy. Replaced it with an Anthem AVM30 and the difference was significant. I know that it isn't fair to compare apples to oranges this way, but if the sound signature of Denon is consistant accross the line (no reason to suspect it isn't) then perhaps you might want to wait. The entire Anthem line is superior in my opinion. I might add that I eventually evolved away from Anthem to NAD but that's a moot point

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.