AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm tossing up between getting an Anthem MCA 50 or a Nad T975, does anyone have any idea on how the two compare? the Anthem is a bit more expensive but I don't mind spending a little extra if its a better sounding amp, plus the Anthem doesn't have any cooling fans which is a bonus.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob /forum/post/20917884

Did you get your amp yet? have you looked into Anthem PVA7? Closer to the price of the the NAD T975. I wonder how they compare in sound quality.

No not yet, I am waiting on an insurance payout before I can buy anything, I am just trying to put together the pieces of my next system while I wait.

I think I might go a different route now, I was thinking about the following

Paradigm Studio 100 and matching surrounds

Oppo BDP-93NXE

Emotiva UMC-1

Emotiva XPA-3 for the center and rears

Emotiva XPA-1 X 2 for the mains

Rythmik F12 or F15 sub

I wonder what would give better results for movies, HDMI out from the Oppo to the UMC-1 or the analog outputs of the Oppo, I'm guessing probably the Oppo.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
In my opinion, it would be a huge waste to spend $2000 in amps for just your front speakers. You could buy just the XPA5 for 1800 less and you would have plenty of power for that setup. You could take the rest of the money and buy a second subwoofer. That would make a bigger difference than throwing more power at the 100s.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I agree, save the money on the amps and get a Marantz AV7005 (or an Integra) instead of the UMC.

Multiple subs is also a good thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the Marantz AV7005 but that costs $4800 over here, where it will cost about $6000 landed (even less if I buy on special) for all the Emotiva gear I listed.

I was originally going to get a single XPA-5 but I do listen to a lot of 2 channel music (quite loud sometimes) I used to have a Citation 7.1 which was bridged to run 2 x 450 watts driving my Studio 100's and they did sound better with the extra power, so I looked at the XPA-2 for the fronts and the XPA-3 for the center and rears but then I saw the monoblocks which apparently sound better than the rest of the XPA line up and couldn't resist the thought of having two 500 watt monoblocks driving my mains.

My logic is I don't really need the AV processor to do anything special, I can use the Oppo to decode everything, and two 500 watt monoblocks would be a good investment in the possibility of any speaker upgrade in the future, plus more power/headroom is always good.

And its still quite cheap $6000 landed for the Emotive gear vs $5000 for the Anthem MCA 50 or $4000 for the NAD T975 plus the addition of the AV processor I would have to buy on top of that.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz46 /forum/post/20918877

My logic is I don't really need the AV processor to do anything special

The most special thing you want it to do is room EQ.

Find a close-out deal on a Denon 3311 and use the pre-outs.

If you already have the Citation why are you spending money on a new amp?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20919279

The most special thing you want it to do is room EQ.

Find a close-out deal on a Denon 3311 and use the pre-outs.

If you already have the Citation why are you spending money on a new amp?

I used to have the citation 7.1 a few years ago but it developed some problem which couldn't really be fixed so my local dealer exchanged it for a Perreaux 200 power amp which I have been using up until a big earthquake in February wrecked all my gear.

Living in New Zealand I am limited in my choices of hifi shops/brands, the cheapest price I can find for the Denon 3311 is $2500

I used to have a Yamaha RXV4600, I don't know how good YPAO is but I tried it and didn't really like it, using the flat EQ on my speakers sounded better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.