AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read reviews, read so many posts on this forum and others that I am now really confused.
I am tryin to find an amp to go with my Paradigm Studio 60's, cc-570 and ADP-470's. I will add Studio 20's for the rear channels for a 7.1 setup in the future, but for now just want a 5 channel amp that will be something I can have for a LONG time through many upgrades of my speakers and pre/pro.

I have narrowed my choice to:

Anthem MCA 50

Anthem Statement P5

Anthem Statement A5

Earthquake Cinenova 5

All of these have good to great reviews in the magazines and in the forum, so my main concern is how price to performance stack up. The P5 is really expensive, but if it is worth it, then that is OK. I just don't want to pay more than I need to for a great amp.

I guess I should mention the first pre/pro I plan to purchase is an Anthem D2, but for now I will use my Denon 5800 as a pre/pro and to run my back 2 channels.

thanks for any help,

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you ask Paradigm I think you will find they suggest matching the D series Pre/Pro's with the P series amps. I on the other hand found the A5 series to match my Paragigm Studio series perfectly. For now I am using a AVM-50, but in the next year I will probably upgrade to the D2. At that time I will power my two mains with a P2 and use the A5 for center and surrounds. Majority of the time when I am listening to music I only use two channels, so it makes since (Financially for me) to run the P2 for fronts only vs spending the extra for a P5.

Hope this helps. I think a lot of the decision is going to be based on what kind of speakers you are going to be driving. I eventually want to get the Signature series, so I am kind of preparing myself for that move.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neff2k /forum/post/0

If you ask Paradigm I think you will find they suggest matching the D series Pre/Pro's with the P series amps. I on the other hand found the A5 series to match my Paragigm Studio series perfectly. For now I am using a AVM-50, but in the next year I will probably upgrade to the D2. At that time I will power my two mains with a P2 and use the A5 for center and surrounds. Majority of the time when I am listening to music I only use two channels, so it makes since (Financially for me) to run the P2 for fronts only vs spending the extra for a P5.

Hope this helps. I think a lot of the decision is going to be based on what kind of speakers you are going to be driving. I eventually want to get the Signature series, so I am kind of preparing myself for that move.

I think we are on the same track. I plan to upgrade to Signature series in the future also. I think I may even go to an AVM50 for now and upgrade to the D2 at a later time to save some money. I have read the MCA 50 and Statement A5 are very close in performance, but the A5 looks so much better, I will probably go with the A5. The P5 is definitely my first choice, but it is so expensive, I just don't know if I can swing it. I think the A5 and P2 combo sounds like a really good idea.

thanks,

·
Registered
161 Posts
Let me reassure you on the purchase of the AVM-50, this unit is no slouch by an means. In fact I am still waiting to hear from someone who has heard both a D2 and AVM-50 side by side. I just can't imagine there being that big of a difference between the two. I love the sound of this combination. Who knows what next year will bring! I am looking at completing my 7.1 setup so the P2 will be in my rack soon. Thinking about going with Studio 20's for rears, and ADP-590's for the Surrounds. For now I still have the old Infinity QPS-1's for surround, they do alright but definitely the week spot in my system now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the MCA50 amp in my setup.......It belts out some serious clean power.........in a room 24 ft x 12 ft x 12 ft ceilings with open walls on both sides!

The couple of reviews I found on AVM50 they said, the D2 has a beefier power supply, and higher quality DAC....Human ears only hear 20Hz-20 KHz..The audio difference is 1-2% they said...If you want to chase 2 %???????????you pay!!!! D2 might run a little cooler???

my 2 cents,

Vince

·
Registered
737 Posts
And theres an MCA50 for sell right now on audiogon.

Shameless plug, its mine, or should say, soon to be was.

The MCA50 has powered my hard to drive NHT 2.9s, and for about 6 months my newest upgrade, aerial acoustics. Hard to find better amps for the price, I would think rotel is in the mix, but Anthem does perform quite well. Im not real sure what Anthem says about the newest lines, but I think sonically they are all pretty much the same, and at that kind of wattage, you would need an amp that has 400wpc to hear any difference in volume, but would have a little more headroom.

If Anthem would've came out w/an amp with power like the Brystons have, I would've kept em, bang for the buck is huge with Anthem gear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince32837 /forum/post/0

I have the MCA50 amp in my setup.......It belts out some serious clean power.........in a room 24 ft x 12 ft x 12 ft ceilings with open walls on both sides!

The couple of reviews I found on AVM50 they said, the D2 has a beefier power supply, and higher quality DAC....Human ears only hear 20Hz-20 KHz..The audio difference is 1-2% they said...If you want to chase 2 %???????????you pay!!!! D2 might run a little cooler???

my 2 cents,

Vince

The only difference I can see may be really important are the dual DSP's although some other people in the forum have stated the DTS96/24 is important also. $2k difference in price makes it tough. AVM-50 with the Statement A5/A2 or P5/P2 may be what I end up with. I have seen some less expensive amps out there with just as good of ratings as the Statement amps, so that makes it difficult to decide. Adcom has a 7 channel amp (GFA-7807) that is supposed to be better at music but a little worse at movies than the Statement A5. A5 looks a whole lot better.

D2 has that AVM-50 doesn't:

Dual DSP Engines

Lip-sync delay (0-170 ms) vs (0-85 ms) on the AVM50

DTS 96/24

24/192 upsampling on all channels with any input

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Dj, I have the same speakers as you, run by a onkyo tx-702 7chx100w. I too am looking for a separate amp in the 200w class. My goal is to soften the highs comming from my speakers, is this better acheived through a amp or processor or room treatments.

·
Registered
737 Posts
mike, a different amp would be your best option. Paradigm speakers are not generally bright like you say your problem is. For you I would recommend Rotel, as they are a little more laid back than Anthem gear. Anthem is a bit forward in the treble, not a ton, but they do present the upper frequencies better than the Rotel does.

Some prefer the sound, some dont.

Your Onkyo is a bit on the brighter side of recievers, but just swapping to a different amp may not solve your problem, as you have internal processing that contributes to the sound you hear, I guess what I'm saying is that by changing the amp you will have some difference, but you would still be using the Onkyos processing characteristics which contribute to the sound you hear, and cannot be eliminated by just swapping out the amplification.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Also, room treatments would help a ton if you have nothing to help with your first reflections. Is your floor bare? Any significant furniture, or window curtains in the room presently? Sometimes something as simple as an area rug will do wonders.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpa /forum/post/0

Also, room treatments would help a ton if you have nothing to help with your first reflections. Is your floor bare? Any significant furniture, or window curtains in the room presently? Sometimes something as simple as an area rug will do wonders.

I do have an area rug over laminate flooring but deffinitley no wall treatments as of yet. The LF RF speakers are 1ft from the back wall and 1ft from the sides , room is 11 x 18.

Any thought on parasond and or B&K amps???

·
Registered
161 Posts
Agree with everyone on room treatments. I thought it was quite a bit of smoke and mirrors, but it really does help Enormously!. I was hit with the brightness issues as well as bass problems when I first installed the new equipment and speakers. Decided to give GIK a try and it really evens everything out. First reflection point nailed the brightness issue, and corner traps fixed the bass.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:

Agree with everyone on room treatments. I thought it was quite a bit of smoke and mirrors, but it really does help Enormously!. I was hit with the brightness issues as well as bass problems when I first installed the new equipment and speakers. Decided to give GIK a try and it really evens everything out. First reflection point nailed the brightness issue, and corner traps fixed the bass.

Agree. Room treatments are next on my list. bass traps first then first reflection.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:

Now if we had people like you posting everyday then all rooms would sound GREAT!!!!!!!!

Glenn

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie /forum/post/0

Now if we had people like you posting everyday then all rooms would sound GREAT!!!!!!!!

Glenn

I still need a box of the 242's. I now have 4 Tri-Traps (Thanks to Santa) and then the two 244's for reflection points (Thanks to the other Santa). Really need to take care of the back wall.

Santa one is my Mom and Dad, and Santa 2 is my mother-in-law. You should have seen their expression when I opened the boxes and had to explain what they were. They just shook their head.

So I decided to show them exactly what they did. When I finally had everything setup, I had them over to listen to some music. Took all of the treatments out of the room. Played three different songs from three different types of music. Brought the treatments back in, played the three songs again. They couldn't believe that panels of cloth and foam could change the sound like that. After that there was no more making fun of the "Pieces of foam with cloth around them". Mission accomplished.

If my Mother-N-Law (Mrs. Negativity) can hear the difference then rest assured someone hoping for a difference is going to be completely satisfied!

I am in no way affiliated with or sponsered by GIK, just simply a happy customer spreading by word of text.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamilton /forum/post/0

The only difference I can see may be really important are the dual DSP's although some other people in the forum have stated the DTS96/24 is important also. $2k difference in price makes it tough. AVM-50 with the Statement A5/A2 or P5/P2 may be what I end up with. I have seen some less expensive amps out there with just as good of ratings as the Statement amps, so that makes it difficult to decide. Adcom has a 7 channel amp (GFA-7807) that is supposed to be better at music but a little worse at movies than the Statement A5. A5 looks a whole lot better.

D2 has that AVM-50 doesn't:

Dual DSP Engines

Lip-sync delay (0-170 ms) vs (0-85 ms) on the AVM50

DTS 96/24

24/192 upsampling on all channels with any input

2K is certainly quite a bit to swallow but I believe you can attribute a good portion of that difference to the Dual DSP's. For example, Anthem is working on a full room equalization for the D2 sort of like Audyssey Labs and others. That's where the Dual DSP's come in handy and I'm not sure that the AVM50 has the processing to handle it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am still looking for real life comparison of the two from someone. We know the technical differences, but not too many people seem to have experience with both.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.