AVS Forum banner

Anthem MRX 300 upgrade recommendations

668 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Legairre 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ve enjoyed my MRX300 for the last eight years, but l am thinking about an upgrade. Have an OPPO BDP-105 and Goldenear Triton Twos with 7.1 surround for music and movies in a dedicated theater room with Epson projector. Music is CD/SACD/Blu Ray and Sonos connected to the OPPO because it sounds so good through the analog outs. Movies Blu ray and streaming via Roku connected directly to the AVR (playback is way buggy when running through the OPPO.)

I’m considering either the Anthem MRX720 or possibly the Marantz 6014/15 but would consider others in the same range (pref closer to $1500). I would love to run multichannel analog through the Marantz to take advantage of the OPPO DAC, but wondering of what would be the best upgrade in terms of sound, and possibly for streaming hi res audio (Amazon Music).

Any thoughts/recommendations? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Stick to what you know! Go with the 720, I’ve had it for close to 4 years and I am very satisfied with it. Excellent with music and home theater!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I’ve enjoyed my MRX300 for the last eight years, but l am thinking about an upgrade. Have an OPPO BDP-105 and Goldenear Triton Twos with 7.1 surround for music and movies in a dedicated theater room with Epson projector. Music is CD/SACD/Blu Ray and Sonos connected to the OPPO because it sounds so good through the analog outs. Movies Blu ray and streaming via Roku connected directly to the AVR (playback is way buggy when running through the OPPO.)

I’m considering either the Anthem MRX720 or possibly the Marantz 6014/15 but would consider others in the same range (pref closet to $1500). I would love to run multichannel analog through the Marantz to take advantage of the OPPO DAC, but wondering of what would be the best upgrade in terms of sound, and possibly for streaming hi res audio (Amazon Music).

Any thoughts/recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Sent you a PM

#5 ·
Done

#6 ·
I actually just upgraded from an Anthem MRX 300 to a Yamaha RX-A780 and very happy with it. Same great sound quality but has a few neat tricks, like a dialogue enhancer that I use on some badly recorded movies like, The Way Home, which I found the dialogue to be a bit quiet and the boost helped. I really can’t tell a difference with movies but music does sound a bit better on the Yamaha. Really like the SCENE feature with the Yamahas.

#7 ·

I’m considering either the Anthem MRX720 or possibly the Marantz 6014/15 but would consider others in the same range (pref closer to $1500). I would love to run multichannel analog through the Marantz to take advantage of the OPPO DAC, but wondering of what would be the best upgrade in terms of sound, and possibly for streaming hi res audio (Amazon Music).

I'd go with the MRX720, but I'm biased. The new ARC is a different animal than what you're used to.

Reactions: Dario Zagar
#8 ·
4 years ago I went from an MRX 300 to an MRX 720. It was a really nice upgrade with Atmos and all, but when Anthem released ARC Genesis that was a night a day difference from the previous ARC. Having Genesis is like having a whole new receiver with even better audio quality.

#10 ·
I love my MRX 520, it has been extremely solid with great sound quality and fewer HDMI handshake issues than my previous Denon 3311 but I don't think I would spend the money on a 720 right now as they have been out for over 4 years. ARC Genesis is nice although it took quite a bit of tweaking to get it dialed in just right for me but I would still wait to upgrade to see what Anthem is going to bring out. I would think they would have to be close to releasing new receivers. If I had to replace my 520 right now I think I would lean more towards a Denon 6700 if I was going to get a receiver to keep for the foreseeable future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.