AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Anthem MRX 500 which I use as a pre only with a Cinepro 3K6III amp. It sounds better than the Onkyo PR-SC5507 I had did but now I am considering a MRX 510, Marantz 8801 or the Yamaha. 60% music 40% movies on a 5.1 system (Source Technologies speakers and subs). Will the New ARC sound better than the Marantz Audyssey XT32 or Yamaha correction? Thoughts and I realize I am comparing a receiver (the Anthem MRX 510) to processors but as I said I do not use the Anthems power only the Cinepro amp and it is a beast!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Impossible to know if you will like the XT32 or YPAO correction curves unless you actually try it. If you're happy with the MRX 500 and ARC, why not just stick to what works for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli  /t/1522858/anthem-mrx-510-or-marantz8801-or-yamaha-cx-a5000-for-a-processor#post_24491023

Impossible to know if you will like the XT32 or YPAO correction curves unless you actually try it. If you're happy with the MRX 500 and ARC, why not just stick to what works for you?

I just sold my MRX 500 for $900 to good to pass up so now I have to upgrade !!!
One thing I don't like about the Anthem is when listening to internet radio I have to turn on my projector to see what is going on, I want a pre that will show it on it's screen so I don't have to turn on the projector, that is one thing I really liked on the Onkyo.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowchaser  /t/1522858/anthem-mrx-510-or-marantz8801-or-yamaha-cx-a5000-for-a-processor#post_24491079

One thing I don't like about the Anthem is when listening to internet radio I have to turn on my projector to see what is going on, I want a pre that will show it on it's screen so I don't have to turn on the projector, that is one thing I really liked on the Onkyo.

I have read 2 reviews on the Yamaha , one was by Khal Rubinson who is a regular here and the other by David Vaughn of S&V . Both reviews were compared to the Marantz av8801 which they both own.Kal will be reviewing the Krell Foundation soon and I am waiting for his official feeling of how it compares to the Yamaha or the Marantz. I recommend you read the articles as there are some things that the Yamaha doesn't do that I am leary about. I read in one of the reviews that the Yamaha does not allow you to make changes without the tv or projector on but you can do a lot with the app once it has been setup for the first time. I use my computer and my app with my Yamaha rx-a1000 and there isn't much you cant do with the app.

Richard

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowchaser  /t/1522858/anthem-mrx-510-or-marantz8801-or-yamaha-cx-a5000-for-a-processor#post_24491079

Ah, the upgrade bug bites again
I feel the ARC in the x10 line is an improvement on the x00 line. On receivers less than $1K, I generally favor units with Audyssey as it does a fabulous job too. The main difference I've found is that Audyssey tends to add a slight smiley face to its curve. When I listen to ARC in the same setup, I notice better mid-bass response and less brightness. Nothing wrong with liking the curve Audyssey comes up with as it really comes down to preference.

All that said, the MRX would require the projector to be on when listening to network sources as most BluRay players won't have enough screen real estate on the unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1522858/anthem-mrx-510-or-marantz8801-or-yamaha-cx-a5000-for-a-processor#post_24491389

The x10 MRX models include no streaming or media file playback support. Not even Internet radio. So any streaming or media file playing would be done by an external Source device.

--Bob
You can listen to internet radio with an Ethernet connection which is how I do it on my MRX500 and that's fine would like Pandora also though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.