AVS Forum banner

17261 - 17280 of 17304 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
I called Anthem support and he said that "he is aware that some of the older receivers may no longer support streaming radio" and he said to check out the Paradigm PW Link.

What do you guys think of this?

https://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless/pw-link
As far as the not being able to use the streaming feature on the 500 I think it sucks, but time marches on. After a little searching around, I see it's not only Anthem users that are experiencing the problem with v tuner. Marantz, Yamaha & Denon are affected as well. In the forum I found it said if they paid a fee to v tuner they could continue. However, that seems to have problems as well. My solution (at least for the past couple of days) has been to stream v tuner through my tablet and use a Bluetooth speaker. Not ideal, but it works ok.
As far as the link goes, it's an interesting product. Thanks for sending it. Although I don't think it's for me. I would just as soon upgrade my AVR eventually, and get Atmos as well.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vt...p-working-marantz-denon-3-case.2269858/page-3

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the MXR700 offer independent settings for speaker levels within the same listening mode, like PLIIx Music? As in, if I switch to a different input/source using the same listening mode can I get independent speaker level settings between sources?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as the not being able to use the streaming feature on the 500 I think it sucks, but time marches on. After a little searching around, I see it's not only Anthem users that are experiencing the problem with v tuner. Marantz, Yamaha & Denon are affected as well. In the forum I found it said if they paid a fee to v tuner they could continue. However, that seems to have problems as well. My solution (at least for the past couple of days) has been to stream v tuner through my tablet and use a Bluetooth speaker. Not ideal, but it works ok.
As far as the link goes, it's an interesting product. Thanks for sending it. Although I don't think it's for me. I would just as soon upgrade my AVR eventually, and get Atmos as well.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vt...p-working-marantz-denon-3-case.2269858/page-3
I heard that vtuner started charging for their service so thats why its not working, I guess it was free at one point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was playing around with my Anthem MRX 700 and decided to check the frequency response of some of my speakers doing near field measurements.
I positioned the microphone to get the flattest response so a few inches away closer to the tweeter. I have a description of the sound for each of my speakers except the
Paradigm Studio 60 V2, they don't have a characteristic; other than sublime and they image beautifully especially on my Anthem and Nad, they sounded flat on my Yamaha receiver. I think that is the true test of sound quality when it just sounds good.

The other speakers I have each have a description to their sound

7SE MK II: meaty and deep base, warm sounding, can listen with zero fatigue, is some midrange missing? Great speaker
Energy eXL-15B: these are my surround speakers, very live presentation; great for rear speakers and for their size and age good sounding
Mini Monitor V2: ditto especially for their size quite amazing bass. Great speaker
Monitor 7 V2: very dynamic, quick but highs can be slightly harsh, you have to reduce the treble. Overall good sound
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones: very neutral sounding, can listen with zero fatigue. They get good reviews because they really do perform well but they are lacking bass
but only because they are small. I still prefer the punch in the Mini Monitor V2 even though they are not as neutral.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has done a similar test and if the new Paradigms which replace with the Monitor and Studio series still sound great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Does mrx 500 support audio return channel(arc)?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just ran Anthem ARC for the first time, have a look at my plots. Any opinions?
Fronts: Studio 60 v2, Center CC v2, rears Energy exl-15b which are rear ported and they are only 8” from rear so ignore the bass hump. The sub is PDR 10-V3.

Is the corrected response actually measured, or predicted?

Can I override the bass to the subwoofer without drastically affecting the smooth response? It is set to -2, and I can adjust it.

I’ve been reading about a house bass setup which spikes the bass response as this is what most people like compared to a flat response. Do you guys setup flat?

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just ran Anthem ARC for the first time, have a look at my plots. Any opinions?
Look pretty good to me. What crossovers did ARC set?

It does show just how poorly the PDR-10 does.
(My PDR-12 isn't much better)

Is the corrected response actually measured, or predicted?

Predicted/calculated. Not measured (you would have heard the sweeps in if it was measuring again.

Can I override the bass to the subwoofer without drastically affecting the smooth response? It is set to -2, and I can adjust it.

I left my sub as ARC set it.

If you want to tweak things use the normal eq (bass mid treble) not individual channel levels. Messing with the levels will throw off the balance ARC has done.

After a few days I adjusted to the less bass heavy setup. My sub has been too high for years because I set by ear (not accurate, particularly for low frequencies)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Half channels from Anthem MRX 700 receiver at low volume. How to troubleshoot/fix?

Hi everyone, thanks for reading. I have an anthem MRX 700 receiver which I have used for years. Recently, I noticed the volume for my front right, center, back left, and surround left channels were at a much lower volume (not distorted or entirely silent just ~18db lower than the rest). I'm trying to troubleshoot this and see if it is fixable myself since I dont have the opportunity to replace it or send it in for official service right now. I do have some experience in electrical engineering so hopefully that will be possible. I don't have a service manual unfortunately(let me know if you do please!). I've done the basic troubleshooting (swapping cables/speakers/outputs) and have narrowed down the issue to the receiver itself. The channel outputs look clean at the connection. I took off the outer case and can see some corrosion around the hdmi board but nothing else. Any idea what would be some good steps to potentially troubleshoot or fix this? Thank you again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
interesting discovery, turns out the ciruits for the FR CNT BL SRL are all physically in a line next to each other on the bottom board, I'm not sure if that has any significance but the channels involved already seemed odd to me and this is something that ties them together

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some new info: voltage output for each channel with no audio is 0.029V. when doing noise output for level calibration FR goes up to 0.7V SR goes up to 0.15V BSR goes up to 0.15V as well, on the low volume speakers voltage increases to 0.039 on each when noise is output to their channels. connection from the analog board to the amp shows 0.024V on the pre signal for the channel with noise 0v otherwise, same with the connection from analog board to pre-amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, reset a few times. No change.

Checked the other channels closer and the center has some static and the L AUX channel is quiet too.

Center static is constant level, not dependent on volume setting.
I don't hear it from 5 ft away, but it is there when up close, like when playing with the wires earlier.

L AUX isn't as quiet as the R Front, and appears to have mid/bass.

I called and Anthem says send it in for service. $130 minimum fee plus shipping each way.

Seller is sending the adapter that was supposed to be included. Should be here Sat.
I'll see what info I can glean from ARC and I decide the path forward.

Another $200 in repairs kind of kills the great deal.

I had been watching all 3 of the first gen models because I need 2 composite video inputs (still use my LD and VHS) which the x10 and x20 lines are lacking. Not to mention having to get the 510+ or 720+ for 7 amp channels.

I got the 700 for less than many 300s and 500s sell for.
Still a good deal if repairs are too expensive, just not what I was expecting.

Upgrading a system I bought in 1999. Monitor 7s, CC-170v2, PDR-12, and Atom v2 surrounds powered by a Pioneer VSX-D608. Adding a second pair of Atom V2s for rear channels. Just replaced the foam surround on the sub and need to do them on the center as well, possible the Atoms (have yet to look at them close).

I've been running 3.1 since I moved in 2010 trying to decide where to put the surrounds and wanting to go to 7.1. ARC/QM would make it easier to locate them where they work best.
ST Dog, it sounds like I have the exact same problem you encountered years ago. Were you able to get anywhere as far as determining the actual cause? You said they mentioned replacing the Amp board, was this a confirmed cause of the problem? I called them to ask about their potential repair service and also if they sell/provide service manuals (they don't), and when I described the issue to them the tech rep I spoke to seemed rather confident it was a pre-amp board issue. I don't agree with his suspicions but it is something to consider. Unfortunately I can't really afford to combine a secondary amp with my anthem or replace it in full right now so I'm pretty dedicated to determining the cause of this problem and finding a solution. Sounds like it's at least not an uncommon issue that can develop.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ST Dog, it sounds like I have the exact same problem you encountered years ago. Were you able to get anywhere as far as determining the actual cause?
No. I sent to a 3rd party "warranty service" who replaced with a non-Anthem. I don't know what they did with the unit.

Some day I'll get a working Anthem ARC or Dirac setup.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Some new info: voltage output for each channel with no audio is 0.029V. when doing noise output for level calibration FR goes up to 0.7V SR goes up to 0.15V BSR goes up to 0.15V as well, on the low volume speakers voltage increases to 0.039 on each when noise is output to their channels. connection from the analog board to the amp shows 0.024V on the pre signal for the channel with noise 0v otherwise, same with the connection from analog board to pre-amp.
Not sure where those measurements are taken.
The problem with the test tones is the different levels to channels from calibration (lower level for surrounds vs fronts)
Do you have a spare amp (or old AVR) you can test the MRX pre-outs with?

That should help narrow between the amp board and the preamp board.

Not that you can fix much since they won't provide a schematic or parts.

I'd run the MRX pre-outs to an amp and see if the level are right there. Compare with similar channel that works correctly, like left and right in the same position (front, surround, rear)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wanted to get an idea the best way to be able to play my apple music playlists through my Anthem MRX700. Would it be buying an apple tv or sonos, or is there something i can just plug in from my phone to the Anthem?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wanted to get an idea the best way to be able to play my apple music playlists through my Anthem MRX700. Would it be buying an apple tv or sonos, or is there something i can just plug in from my phone to the Anthem?
Depend on what you want.
You could convert a headphone output to RCA and use that input, $10-15 for lightning to 1/8", 2/8" to RCA, and cable, but then you're wired to the AVR. Good quality though.

You could stream over BT using a BT receiver.
Quality depends on the the receiver and transmitter, and BT generally isn't high quality.

Of course other options like AppleTV and Sonos, any wireless system you can transmit to that has a receiver that you can connect via HDMI or RCA.

Finding the MDX-1 dock would be tough, not sure it was ever officially released.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Probably best to get an Apple TV-will. Work great with your iTunes library

17261 - 17280 of 17304 Posts