AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found a couple good reads (reviews) on Audio Advice. Audio Advice is one of the two authorized online sellers of Anthem products.

MCA Gen 2 Amplifiers Anthem MCA Gen 2 Amplifiers Overview - New 2021 Models | Audio Advice
MRX 540, 740, 1140 Anthem MRX A/V Home Theater Receiver Overview - New 2021 Models | Audio Advice
AVM 70, 90 Anthem AVM A/V Home Theater Processor Overview - New 2021 Models | Audio Advice
I don't know, they got the specs wrong on the DACs for the MRX receivers. It's supposed to be 32-Bit/768 kHz DAC not 24-Bit/96 kHZ DAC. Luckily it was fixed on the product page. \

What do they mean by classic Anthem sound? Is it the sound from the first gen Anthem MRX A/V receivers and older Anthem processors and amps or is it the sound from second gen and newer from their MRX A/V receivers? I'm really curious to how it's going to sound like.

I own both the MRX 300 and the 510, (first and second gen) and they have completely different sound that you would think they are from different brands of A/V receivers. The 300 has that deep bass that slams hard with great dymanics and detail while the 510 has a rich warm sound that pushes for greater detail with modest bass sound.

So, how is the new MRX A/V receivers going to sound like? Only time will tell until we get our hands on it.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Curious, in my family room I am running a 4.1 setup. Don't need Atmos, just 4K/HDR passthrough mostly for Netflix and TV watching.

Thinking I should jump on a used 520 as I can't think of any reason to go with the 540.

Heck, maybe even a used 510 unless there is something the 520 has that the 510 doesn't which I'll need/want?

·
Registered
27 Posts
has anyone heard any thing on when these will actually ship? just ordered the mx540 on crutchfield and that says est ship is 1/27.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry if this was covered but I wasn’t able to find anything. Has there been ANY info at all about the HDMI 2.1 upgrade other than that there will be one? Cost, if it requires shipping the whole receiver, timeframe for release...?

·
Registered
Sony A8F Oled, Pioneer SC-05 receiver, Paradigm Studio 60 v4
38 Posts
No nothing. I've been looking for any new updates since late November.

·
Registered
502 Posts
No nothing. I've been looking for any new updates since late November.
Best is to check with your authorized brick and mortar dealer in your area.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Quick question about the 1140's capability for two separate sub outputs. This is for 99.9% movie watching only. RARELY listening to music.

Does that really matter if my subs all have their own DSP and I used REW (and a bit of tinkering) to get subs gain matched and time aligned on my own anyway? I was using the MRX-1120 until I sold it just before the new products were announced (not expecting a chip factory fire and such a long delay), so I am used to having technically 1 subwoofer output (might as well have been a Y-cable).

The reason I ask is leading into a 2nd question... I will only ever have 7.x.4 in my theater space. No physical location for more speakers to make that a 9.x.4 or 7.x.6 or anything else, so I am making one last look at getting the MRX-1140 or going with a MRX-740 and something like an Emotiva XPA-5 (250 watt/channel) amp or even XPA-7 (200 watt/channel) amp or a Monolith 7x (200 watt/channel). I know that the 740 doesn't have DTS:X Pro (not needed for my setup) and it also doesn't have the toroidal power supply.

Just wondering which would provide a better audio experience... MRX-1140 with internal stock amplification and 2 separate sub-outs, or MRX-740 with 5 or 7 channels of outbound amplification but no dual sub-outs and no toroidal power supply? Again, 99.9% movie watching only. RARELY listening to music.

Thoughts and opinions on these two choices?
No, I am not looking at the AVM series. I already have my data and spreadsheets for every possible combination there and after a couple of weeks of looking, I just cannot cost justify it for several reasons. Just can't do it.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
If you can time align and gain match your subs yourself, that makes you a free man.

Unless you have inefficient speakers driven full range and sit 12+ feet from them, the 740 on it's own may be enough power for them, but either way, I'd choose the 740 in your shoes and upgrade outboard amplification only after knowing I need it. (I've had three high end outboard amps over the years and learned that only one set of inefficient speakers really benefited from it.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
These new models are hardly different from the old models.i suppose they have to do something to make $ though. I don't need 8k so I'll stick with my avm60

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
If you can time align and gain match your subs yourself, that makes you a free man.

Unless you have inefficient speakers driven full range and sit 12+ feet from them, the 740 on it's own may be enough power for them, but either way, I'd choose the 740 in your shoes and upgrade outboard amplification only after knowing I need it. (I've had three high end outboard amps over the years and learned that only one set of inefficient speakers really benefited from it.)
Yeah, but the 740 by itself doesn't have enough amplification for my 7.x.4 setup, so I would need an amp just to power the speakers that I already have. I never found that I was "wanting more" from the MRX1120 for sound output, but people always talk about how separate amplification is awesome, but without going with higher end processing (like the AVM series) I just don't know if I will actually notice a difference. I also am in the phase of my life that we are looking to downsize within the next 2 years, so that is a key factor in both cost as well as long term separate amplifier benefit as it is easier to justify separates if you can spread out the long term benefit over more years.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that my L/R speakers have a sensitivity of 92dB, the center channel is 94dB, and all of my surrounds and overheads are at 90dB all at 1watt at 1 meter.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
These new models are hardly different from the old models.i suppose they have to do something to make $ though. I don't need 8k so I'll stick with my avm60
Yeah, in retrospect, I think that selling my MRX-1120 was a mistake. I tried to sell at the "highest value but as close to the new product announcement as possible" time and I figured that after 5 years, and all of the "dealer hype" about the new products, that SOMETHING would be significantly better, but honestly it seems like minor tweaks.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I currently have an MRX300 with a 5.1 setup. I am setting up a 5.1.4 Atmos system and will be looking to upgrade the MRX300 to take advantage of that. In order to do that without using an external amplifier, I have to go with an 1120/1140, correct? The 720/740 only have 7 channels of amplification and I'll need 9. Just making sure I'm not missing anything.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Yeah, but the 740 by itself doesn't have enough amplification for my 7.x.4 setup, so I would need an amp just to power the speakers that I already have. I never found that I was "wanting more" from the MRX1120 for sound output, but people always talk about how separate amplification is awesome, but without going with higher end processing (like the AVM series) I just don't know if I will actually notice a difference. I also am in the phase of my life that we are looking to downsize within the next 2 years, so that is a key factor in both cost as well as long term separate amplifier benefit as it is easier to justify separates if you can spread out the long term benefit over more years.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that my L/R speakers have a sensitivity of 92dB, the center channel is 94dB, and all of my surrounds and overheads are at 90dB all at 1watt at 1 meter.
Your speakers are efficient. You don't need amps to help them unless you are sitting a long ways from them and running them full range. And even then it is debatable.

You could get a cheap amp or two for the ATMOS speakers and be good.

I too got hoodwinked not once, not twice, but three times about external amplification -- and the third time, ponied up for a Mark Levinson design amp thinking surely an amp that costs as much as the rest of the system would be what people are talking about.

Nope. The only time it made a difference was with speakers that had sensitivity around 80. Then it helped.

401 - 420 of 452 Posts