AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Curious, what excites you about EARC? I.e., what's the intended use?

On 2.1, is that only for 8k? Need a new processor for my basement hybrid theater, and have an AVM60 upstairs which is now going on 4 or 5 year old. Was shocked that Anthem didn't have an updated version for it yet!

But at the same time, not sure what is "missing" from the line up in terms of features, and also have come across "EARC" and 2.1 as what appears to be the real only missing "features".
Passing uncompressed audio and better sync. I actually went with a SHARC and go eARC out the TV to a standard input on HDMI. So I no longer need HDMI 2.1 for all of the gaming features on an AVR.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Passing uncompressed audio and better sync. I actually went with a SHARC and go eARC out the TV to a standard input on HDMI. So I no longer need HDMI 2.1 for all of the gaming features on an AVR.
What is a SHARC?

·
Registered
13 Posts
As new HDMI 2.1 videocards have seen the light now, is there any news about a new MRX lineup from Anthem? Eagerly waiting to upgrade my set.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was/am trying to hold out but my AVR is showing signs of possibly having other plans. If it comes down to it, would you still buy a current/old Anthem or go with a more recent model from a different brand?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I held out for 1.5 years and finally bought a new denon 6700h I could not be happier.

Reactions: LTE15

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was/am trying to hold out but my AVR is showing signs of possibly having other plans. If it comes down to it, would you still buy a current/old Anthem or go with a more recent model from a different brand?
Well, we all have to consider that for ourselves. I for one will wait for Anthem to come up with an HDMI 2.1 MRX. I like Anthem for many reasons. Most important of course the sound quality with ARC!), but I also like they don't particpate in the rat race of releasing new models every year. When Anthem updates their line the update it because it's relevant. All manufacturers should do that. Anyway, I'll wait patiently for Anthems MRX renewal. My MRX700 still r0x0rz my b0x0rz. ;)

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Well, we all have to consider that for ourselves. I for one will wait for Anthem to come up with an HDMI 2.1 MRX. I like Anthem for many reasons. Most important of course the sound quality with ARC!), but I also like they don't particpate in the rat race of releasing new models every year. When Anthem updates their line the update it because it's relevant. All manufacturers should do that. Anyway, I'll wait patiently for Anthems MRX renewal. My MRX700 still r0x0rz my b0x0rz. ;)
I have a 720 and can also wait. I really can't think any reason for me to upgrade right now. 8k and 2.1 isn't for me because I don't game and there aren't any 8k movies. I do 7.2.4 right now and other than more speakers I can't really think of anything new MRX would give me that I don't already have. Sure they could come up with a new ARC that's even better than Genesis (which is incredible) and offer it only in the new MRX line. Now that would give me a reason to upgrade if it was really that much better than Genesis.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I held out for 1.5 years and finally bought a new denon 6700h I could not be happier.
I'm looking at a 4700h or maybe even a 3700h myself -- my setup is a fairly simple 5.1

I agree about the rat race and the vast majority of the features the morn mainstream AVRs have don't interest me, although there are a couple that would be helpful.

Unfortunately my AVR is 20 years old, should have been replaced (much) sooner, and now seems to have developed a sporadic and annoying hum that is generated through my speakers, is getting worse (and doesn't appear to be ground loop related as best as I can tell). I have no need for 2.1 or 8K, etc. and don't anticipate any such need for a very long time if at all, but if I am going to buy something after all this time, I would like it to be something reasonably up to date. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting! Why 540/740 and not 530/730? Big leap?
I wonder if they did that because maybe the 540 is a 9 channel AVR that supports 5 surrounds with 4 Atmos channels? And the 740 would a 11 channel AVR with 7 surround and 4 atmos channel support?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
To go with the new 8K TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
No, nothing like that...
I just go a long time in between purchases and could not make myself pay full price for model at what I think is the end of it's lifespan is all.

I had the 510 and was the biggest Anthem/Paradigm fanboy there was. For the past 1.5 years I had $3,500 socked away to buy the "new 11xx" series because I wanted to go atmos with no additional components. I was convinced their ARC was so much better than the competitors (it may have been in 2014 when I bought my mrx510).

I seriously thought I was going to be able to tell a difference between Anthem and Denon SQ wise...So far as I can tell, the denon sounds better, I have airplay 2, dual sub outs, and $1,500 to put towards subwoofer upgrade.

My speakers are all same make and series properly placed...if there is a difference in Room Correction, I can not hear it. As a matter of fact, count me among the growing number of people (see anthem thread) who are turning off (or limiting room correction to >500hz). Turns out I like the sound of my speakers.

I was always a fan of Anthem's "put the money where it counts" strategy with no bells and whistles. Turns out, denon has some bells and whistles nicely put and easy to work.

No beef with Anthem/Paradigm here at all. Every time I called customer support I got a helpful and knowledgeable CSR that stayed with me until we solved the reason for the call.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am using a Denon 4311 and doing fine, but I really want the next MRX series when it comes out. I do worry about the diminishing returns as one climbs the cost ladder. Back in 2 channel days it was possible to do some decent comparison shopping, but these multi multi channel rigs have far too many confounding factors. So it comes down to how it sounds once set up and broken in -- More is not always better and often is not.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what Anthem adds to their next generation.

Hopefully its more than a half baked hdmi2.1 implementation. That said, I don't game so I don't really need it. And I have no interest in suffering through the hiccups of the new HDMI spec, cables, etc. since there isn't an upside that applies to me.

More speakers would be nice for some installations, but my room doesn't really need more than 7.1.4 so while that might be a boon for some people, I'm guessing many of us wouldn't use more speakers.

eARC.....doesn't help me, since I am using a projector. My sources just use an HDMI cable to reach the receiver.

A new version of ARC (the room correction one, not audio return channel) would be big news, but they have managed to make it backwards compatible for a generation or two, when introducing a new version of ARC once a decade, in the past, largely because of the very smart choice to do the calibration and calculations on a computer and then just upload the filters into the gear. So in the unlikely event they best Genesis after it having been on the market a couple of years, I'm moderately hopeful it would work on the current generation. (And, if not, well, my gear still sounds as fantastic as it did yesterday!)

So......the question becomes, which if any of those features are ones you want, and are willing to wait and pay more for? Or, are the existing models poised to cover your needs (like me) in which case they are cheaper (both in terms of MSRP, which has climbed up each generation, and in terms of dealers making deals on older gear) and available right now.

The one thing that would be helpful would be better multisub support -- essentially what one does with a miniDSP -- but to please all people it would need to be quite configurable, so probably expensive and not very user friendly for regular folks. And this is fully addressable in the current gen (and will probably still be something purists want to address with a miniDSP or similar in a future gen) via an external box costing under $200.

----

The other option for price sensitive folks might be to wait for the new models (perhaps next year?) and then pick up a 720 gen model on the second hand market for an even better deal?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well that was where I was at also nathan_h...for a plan B.

If nothing I needed was introduced with the new model then hope to scoop a used 1120 up from somebody who needed the newer version.
But a 1120 being a 4 year old model at original msrp, just did not seem prudent to me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well that was where I was at also nathan_h...for a plan B.

If nothing I needed was introduced with the new model then hope to scoop a used 1120 up from somebody who needed the newer version.
But a 1120 being a 4 year old model at original msrp, just did not seem prudent to me.
And that's sort fo where I am as well. As I only have a 5.1 system, the 520 would be perfect for me, but the thought of paying MSRP (or close) for a model that is clearly at the end of its life (or at least sale) cycle doesn't sit well. And I admit that I wouldn't mind a couple of the "unnecessary" features on some of the other models. For now (and until I make up my mind) I continue to use my old Rotel that seems to be causing a speaker hum that appears to be slowly getting louder :oops:

141 - 160 of 322 Posts