AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking to upgrade my HT/2-channel set-up.

Items in use:

Kef reference 2~2 fronts

Kef RDM2 rears & center

Velodyne FRS-12 sub

Integra 8.2 receiver

Mitsu WT-42311(fit in cabinet)

I would like to add an amp and a quality redbook cd player. Yesterday, I came across an option to buy an Anthem MCA2 & MCA5 (in the next year will be 7.1) for $1300. with full warranty. Or a Lexicon 225 with full 5 yr warranty for $1350. I took the Anthem mca2 home and listened. Great improvement on bass. Will I gain that much more with the Lexicon? Do I have to match the watts per channel for the balance of my system with Bryston or can I get a 9b-st(125wpc)? or should I look at something else?

Thanks for the help

Mark

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would definitely go with the Bryston option. I am currently running this setup-212 and 512 (3Bst and 9B THX) but I have a friend that is running exactly what you would have and there is not a problem at all. I do not think you will ever notice the difference in wattage. I will say that price is a bit high. I have seen 225's go for as low as $850 on Ebay and my freind paid about $950. These are used with no warranty but the $400-$500 you save can go along way inrepairs if ever needed. One more thing, do not sell yourself short on the Anthem. While it is a great product, it is not a Bryston. There are many who will say it is close and maybe so but not close enough for my ears. This comes from having both in my home in the past. The Bryston is much quicker, cleaner and has a much lower noise floor. It will control any speaker load much better than any Anthem.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Instead of $1350 for an NT225, you might want to consider a used 4B-ST....the remaining, transferable warranty of 15+ years is more appealing than Lexicon's 5 years. Of course, if you can get the NT225 closer to 1k, like Eric mentioned.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.