AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My young daughter thought she was helping by cleaning my Kuro the other day and scratched the anti-reflective coating! Believe me when I say it is scratched as you can feel the lip of the scratch when you run your finger across the mark and in some spots the mark is white. The scratch is only noticeable during the day when sunlight hits the screen and it is off. Once the TV is on and/or it is night, the scratch is not noticeable. I know the scratch is there forever, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to minimize it?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruatechnut /forum/post/16951740

My young daughter thought she was helping by cleaning my Kuro the other day and scratched the anti-reflective coating! Believe me when I say it is scratched as you can feel the lip of the scratch when you run your finger across the mark and in some spots the mark is white. The scratch is only noticeable during the day when sunlight hits the screen and it is off. Once the TV is on and/or it is night, the scratch is not noticeable.

I know the scratch is there forever, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to minimize it?

Don't look at the screen during the day when the TV is turned off

There is probably nothing you can do to make it better. Anything you try will probably just make things worse. Try to forget it's there and continue to enjoy the TV. Later, when your daughter is older, you get to say fun stuff like "no honey, you can't have a pony because as you recall, you destroyed my Kuro"

·
Registered
326 Posts
Time to put someone up for adoption.
j/k I would raise my set to unbelievably high levels so only by climbing a ladder can a child put there mitts on your standard of excellence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16952051

Don't look at the screen during the day when the TV is turned off

There is probably nothing you can do to make it better. Anything you try will probably just make things worse. Try to forget it's there and continue to enjoy the TV. Later, when your daughter is older, you get to say fun stuff like "no honey, you can't have a pony because as you recall, you destroyed my Kuro"

THANKS for making me laugh as this has been a rather sad event in my life!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/16952059

how exactly did she scratch it? just wondering.

She grabbed an old duster that has a metal end to it and rubbed it against the TV (not sure why they would even make such a duster nor where & when it came into our house). We recently moved and I did not even know this thing even made the trip. Needless to say, it immediately went to the trash.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Reminds me of a coworker... who's kid had one of those bikes that's been on the ground so many times that the handlebar grips were all worn down to the metal on both sides.

Kid went flying into the garage between mom and dad's cars, and managed to bounce back and forth between them... taking the paint to the metal on both from end to end.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer /forum/post/16952067

Time to put someone up for adoption.
j/k I would raise my set to unbelievably high levels so only by climbing a ladder can a child put there mitts on your standard of excellence.

That's why I put my TV a bit higher than I would like but I did because of a CAT! Just out of reach of the Evil One.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
If you bought your tv with a credit card, check to see if they cover the damage. Some provide this coverage free with the card and some cover accidental damage.

If not, a new screen would likely be cost prohibitive. Be thankful it is not visible while the set is in use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16953108

If you bought your tv with a credit card, check to see if they cover the damage. Some provide this coverage free with the card and some cover accidental damage.

If not, a new screen would likely be cost prohibitive. Be thankful it is not visible while the set is in use.

I know my credit card doubles the warranty (up to one addtl year) but I will need to check to see if they provide accidental damage. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anybody know of a polish or the like I could use to minimize the scratches? Some featherlite scratches as a result of wearing down (or filling) the deeper edges on the scratches would be less noticeable than seeing the white scratches. They just really stand out in the sunlight or when you get close to the TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16953108

Unfortunately, my credit card only doubles the warranty. No accidental damage coverage.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Homeowners ins maybe?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts