AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching 2011 plasma/LED sets for over 6 months now, and I have not been able to pull the trigger on a set because of all the terrible backlight bleeding I see on these. Everyone has their pet-peeves with TVs, and one of my top concerns is backlight bleeding/screen uniformity. My last set was a Samsung plasma, and I went this route because I could not stand the distracting backlight bleeding on a previous 42" Toshiba LCD. I tend to watch a lot of SD material, but also lots of Blu-Rays typically in the dark (hence the plasma). However, with only three major plasma makers left, the options seem quite limited. I picked up an LG 50PV450 at Costco and was not impressed with the vibrancy of the colors; however, the screen uniformity was top-notch. I am trying to convert over to LED, but it is proving very hard to find an acceptable set.

I am currently looking at the Samsung 46" UND6420 at Best Buy. The price is about my max (can't afford full local dimming set), and the design is quite favorable. A friend of mine has the 55" version, and from what I can tell, the blacks are fairly impressive as well as the screen uniformity. However, after reading countless reviews, plenty of people still find flashlighting, clouding, and backlight bleeding. With current LED sets, does it really come down to luck of the draw and you cannot base the picture of one panel to next? It's quite discouraging to think every panel, though manufactured the same, comes out of the box different every time. Also, I don't think Best Buy is as forgiving as Costco is with returns (they don't carry this model), so it makes the decision a little more dire to get correct. Thoughts?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.