AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

So I'm in the market for a new 32" LCD TV. I have a pretty good Panasonic from a couple of years ago, but even no I notice that when a scene is dark, the edge lighting (CCFL, not LED) makes areas glow in a gradient towards the edge.

32" TVs seem to always be considered "low end" just because it's a smaller market segment. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good, modern, 32" LCD with very good PQ and very good backlighting without any noticable brighter regions. I don't care about the price, I'm willing to pay it to get what I want.

From what I've seen, though, it doesn't seem available.

Any ideas?

- Tim

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
The LG 32 LE5400 is top rated by Consumer Reports. No problems with uneven backlighting, but it is not perfect (show me a TV that is). The only down-side noted for the LG is "Dark scenes are slightly lacking in contrast".

These 32 inch sets are recommended based on lower price, and are all 720P.

LG32D520

Samsung LN32C530

Panasonic TC-L32X2

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19515775

The LG 32 LE5400 is top rated by Consumer Reports. No problems with uneven backlighting, but it is not perfect (show me a TV that is). The only down-side noted for the LG is "Dark scenes are slightly lacking in contrast".

These 32 inch sets are recommended based on lower price, and are all 720P.

LG32D520

Samsung LN32C530

Panasonic TC-L32X2

It's tough on us folks who have small apartments where anything bigger than 32 inch would look ludicrous, yet who still want a great-looking panel. :-(

After lots of research, the LG 32LE5400 and Samsung UN32C6500 were the two that I was interested in, until I heard that they were still considered "lower end", even though they were the tops in their size range.

Of those two, which would you suggest?

I'm basically trying to not do what I did before - get a top-rated (in that size) panel, and then find that 1) I didn't have as much control over 1:1 pixel mapping (no "Just Scan" setting, for example), and that backlighting would create slightly brighter areas on the screen for no reason at all.

- Tim

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie /forum/post/19516116

It's tough on us folks who have small apartments where anything bigger than 32 inch would look ludicrous, yet who still want a great-looking panel. :-(

After lots of research, the LG 32LE5400 and Samsung UN32C6500 were the two that I was interested in, until I heard that they were still considered "lower end", even though they were the tops in their size range.

I'm basically trying to not do what I did before - get a top-rated (in that size) panel, and then find that 1) I didn't have as much control over 1:1 pixel mapping (no "Just Scan" setting, for example), and that backlighting would create slightly brighter areas on the screen for no reason at all.

- Tim

I like them both, but for a 32" from those two I'd pick the LG. I don't know why either of them would be considered low end. In the world of 32" panels, they don't get much higher end. You might also want to check out the 32" Sony EX500 which has received a TON of positive reviews.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19516249

I like them both, but for a 32" from those two I'd pick the LG. I don't know why either of them would be considered low end. In the world of 32" panels, they don't get much higher end. You might also want to check out the 32" Sony EX500 which has received a TON of positive reviews.

Yeah, the Sony 32EX500 and 32EX400 are both nice sets with great PQ. I have the 400 and I would say it has a pretty uniform picture.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19516249

I'll check it out. What do people think of the EX710, by the way?

By "low end" I meant that the 32 inch tvs don't get all the higher-end features, from what I've seen; those seem reserved for the bigger ones (i.e. bigger market). Untrue?

- Tim

·
Registered
409 Posts
What is your viewing distance? I would go bigger then a 32" in almost any room, especially since it sounds like you are willing to pay for the best.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You may also want to take a look at the Vizio XVT323S. It is LED with local dimming.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust /forum/post/19516452

What is your viewing distance? I would go bigger then a 32" in almost any room.

Viewing distance is probably 6-to-10 feet.

Tiny San Francisco apartment - beeger not posseebul. :)

I'd have to rearrange everything to make the TV the focal point of the room, which I can't do without shutting access to the room from the main door. The room serves as dining room, living room, and office, thus:

Code:
Code:
------------------------------------
   HALLWAY
   ------------------------------------
          ____________| |__________
   KITCHEN-                       -
        / -                         CLOSET
       /  |\\                      -
      |B C| \\                     |_
      |U A|  |                    ZZ\\
      |I B|  |     _________      ZZZ\\
      |L I|  |     |       |      ZZZZ|
      |T N|  |     | TABLE |      ZZZZ|
      |I E|  |     |       |      ZZZZ|
      |N T| /      ---------      ZZZZ|
      |   |/                        ZZ|
      | __|    -------------------  ZZ|
      ||XXXX   ---- C O U C H ----  ZZ/
      ||XXXX   -------------------  Z/
WINDOW \\XX_=====================____/ WINDOW
                   WINDOW

XXX = Home Entertainment Area (about 3 or 4 feet square)
Z = Office Area, Lamps, Cabinets, etc.
As you can see, if I closed off the main door and put the Home Entertainment Area there, I could get something bigger. But then I could no longer enter/exit the room except through the kitchen, and the focus of the room would be the TV, which I don't want it to be. Also, in these old Victorian apartment buildings, there's lots of edges, corners, wainscotting, built-in cabinets, etc. that keep walls from being fully used.

So 32" is the max that can fit without it smacking into the walls. :)

Oh, and I have 2 stereo speakers on pedastals sitting right behind the TV to provide better sound. I tried hanging them from the walls at different points, but it just wouldn't work right (and these speakers vent through the rear, so wall mounts would need to project a ways, and the studs don't line up very well for that).

- Tim

·
Registered
409 Posts
Gotcha man. I would probably be picking between the XVT323S and the UN32c6500.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust /forum/post/19516481

You may also want to take a look at the Vizio XVT323S. It is LED with local dimming.

Vizio has always seemed like a "2nd rate" company to me somehow - am I wrong in that? They've always had a vast low-end selection at the major retailers that's put me off them.

- Tim

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie /forum/post/19516556

Vizio has always seemed like a "2nd rate" company to me somehow - am I wrong in that? They've always had a vast low-end selection at the major retailers that's put me off them.

- Tim

I honestly kind of feel the same way. People seem pretty happy with the local dimming sets, and I think it is the only one in 32". I currently own only Samsung TVs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust /forum/post/19516583

I honestly kind of feel the same way. People seem pretty happy with the local dimming sets, and I think it is the only one in 32". I currently own only Samsung TVs.

Hmm... it says "smart dimming" on the website, tho' it's still edge-lit. I wonder what their "secret sauce" is. :-/

- Tim

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You can still find the Sharp LC-32LE700UN online for very reasonable prices. It's a late 2009 model, but I have the 46" and PQ is excellent. It's a 1080p 120Hz LED-backlit set (without local dimming). The LED backlight, however, makes the light distribution very even.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I bought the Toshiba 32C100U in July online. It has an excellent picture, excellent detail, clear audio, and is a very good value. I'm very pleased with it still. I watch from about 6 feet to 12 feet away - it is fine - no picture problems that I can spot at all.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie /forum/post/19516116

- Tim

The thing is, the LG 32 LE5400 has been professionally tested, but not the Samsung UN32C6500, (at least not by Consumer Reports).

That doesn't mean the Samsung is not a good set, but when it comes to something you know and something you have to speculate about, I tend to go for the one that was actually tested.

CR did test the Samsung UN55C6500 and found the viewing angle lacking. Does that mean the 32 inch C6500 will also have a very limited viewing angle? I don't know because CR didn't test the 32C6500.

So, again, I would go with the known entity, (LG).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19518865

The thing is, the LG 32 LE5400 has been professionally tested, but not the Samsung UN32C6500, (at least not by Consumer Reports).

That doesn't mean the Samsung is not a good set, but when it comes to something you know and something you have to speculate about, I tend to go for the one that was actually tested.

CR did test the Samsung UN55C6500 and found the viewing angle lacking. Does that mean the 32 inch C6500 will also have a very limited viewing angle? I don't know because CR didn't test the 32C6500.

So, again, I would go with the known entity, (LG).

I just took a look at them both at Best Buy - well, the Samsung definitely looks more "spiffy", but spiff isn't everything, of course.

More research ensues. :)

- Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts