AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a Toshiba 32" HDTV (32HF73). How is the quality of the HD picture with the squeeze mode and black bars? Should I just save more money for a widescreen model?

Thanks for the info..

Andy

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
A 34" widescreen model like the 34HF83 would give you a much larger 16:9 image area for widescreen DVDs and HDTV - I'd say save up for that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Typically, the 30" 16:9 and 32" 4:3 are compared to each other, and the 34" 16:9 and 36" 4:3 are compared to each other.

The 32" 4:3, when in squeeze mode, has almost exact same size of 16:9 screen as a 30" WS model.

The 36" 4:3, when in squeeze mode, has almost exact same size of 16:9 screen as a 34" WS model.

Anyhow, the debate of 4:3 vs. 16:9 has been visited very often here. It all comes down to your personal preference and viewing material.

But here's some information:

Last night my wife and I went to go check out some sets around our local shops. We looked at similar offerings from Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, Zenith, Philips, and RCA.

Of all of them, we finally agreed that it was between the Toshiba HF73 and the Sony HS510 models. Depending on what settings you change, one looked better than the other. Then the other looked better than the first! It also changed based on where you were in the room... I.E., to us, the Toshiba looked better than the Sony when you viewed the Toshiba from an angle but the Sony straight-on. Similarly, the Sony looked better than the Toshiba when you looked at the Toshiba directly and the Sony from an angle! :D

Anyway, with near-similar feature sets and image quality, we decided that the one we end up getting will be the one that we can get the better price and/or extras on. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.