AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3D is the future. More and more big budget, tentpole movies are coming within the year. Such high profile movies like Avatar (which is supposed to give my eyes an orgasm), Tron Legacy, Alice in Wonderland, etc. Im sure many more will be announced in the near future. I really like the depth that 3D adds. It's not all about crap flying off the screen into your face. I like the depth it adds to the simplist scenes, it feels like im watching it high, but without the drugs
I saw UP in digital 3D and LOVED it.

Now, of course I wan't 3D at home! I know Sony has stated that bluray is ready for 3D, but they havn't stated how or if only the PS3 will be capable of displaying a 3D image. Im wondering if any projectors are coming in the near future that will be 3D ready?

Could i just buy a second Epson 6500 and create a 3D image by using 2 projectors? I know Nvidia has their 3D solution. Could i not just run on HDMI cable to the left projector and one to the right? This should work in theory, or am I totaly mistaken?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm hoping that JVC's upcoming projector will accept a 120 hz signal that will give it at least some measure of being "3-D Ready." I saw 25 mins. of "Avatar" in 3-D at Comic-con last week along with the opening Buzz Lightyear sequence of "Toy Story 2" (newly rendered in 3-D), and they looked spectacular.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Epson is 120hz but it only accepts 60hz signals
The display has to accept two 60hz signals from two different inputs at the same time and have the processing power to project two seperate images at once. Right now only DLP has 3D capable projectors and Im wondering if only DLP is capable of producing a 3D image from one projector? Has it something to do with wobulation? using the mirrors which can change 1000 of times per second to create to seperate images.

Has anyone heard if LCD or LCOS is even capable of producing 3D images?

·
Registered
729 Posts
There are basically two ways to do 3D (the red and green filter approach is not a serious contender due to color issues). In one, time multiplexing is used to present alternating views from two different perspectives, and the viewer wears active shutter glasses that sequentially present every other frame to the left and right eye. This approach requires active glasses and a high (typically 120 Hz) frame rate, and some people report headaches from it.

In the other approach, two projectors are used, each projecting plane polarized light, with the planes of each projector at right angles to each other. The viewer wears a pair of passive glasses that consist of plane polarizers at right angles to each other, so each eye sees a single projector. This requires a special silver screen that preserves the polarization of the projected light (conventional screens scramble the polarization, and won't work with this approach). Since there is no frame rate based switching, extended viewing is possible without discomfort, but if you tilt your head, polarization mixing occurs, and things look weird.

I have a JVC RS1 and a DaLite HiPower screen. Unlike DLP, LCoS begins by polarizing the light with a wire grid. When I look into the lens (from a distance!), and rotate a plane polarizing filter in front of my eyes, the polarized nature of the LCoS technology is very obvious. When I use the same filter to look at the screen, however, no variation in brightness is visible with changing polarization angle.

If two DLPs were used to do the second scheme, there would be a loss of light due to the need to add a plane polarizer in front of each. Two LCoS projectors, having already "taken the hit" way back in their optical engine, would not be any dimmer in a dual 3D configuration.

From a content perspective, it's not clear that the current standards are compatible with two streams, whether time multiplexed or dual output. The time-multiplexed approach is cheaper, but is not without issues. The cost for a dual projector set-up is significant, and we would have to replace all of our screens. I do 3D still projection on a silver screen, and it seems perfectly reasonable, with no obvious hot spotting or sparklies, but its gain is well below that of my HiPower. The number of people who would buy a dual projector rig and a polarization preserving screen would probably be too low to justify any content effort. I'm not sure how things will settle out, but expect that some form of time multiplexed approach is more likely.

Kevin

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCarthy /forum/post/16944226

If two DLPs were used to do the second scheme, there would be a loss of light due to the need to add a plane polarizer in front of each. Two LCoS projectors, having already "taken the hit" way back in their optical engine, would not be any dimmer in a dual 3D configuration.

With the 3 chip/panel projectors I've tested this with the green has been at a 90 degree angle to the blue and red (or at least one differed from the others). I'm not sure why they do that, but it was clearly a choice in the documentation I saw for one projector and they would have to make all 3 primaries line up and also have a way to have one projector be at a different polarization than the other projector.

--Darin

·
Registered
729 Posts
"With the 3 chip/panel projectors I've tested this with the green has been at a 90 degree angle to the blue and red (or at least one differed from the others)"

I just confirmed that on the RS1, all three primary colors have identical angles of linear polarization.

Kevin

·
Registered
989 Posts
Optoma had announce 3D projector by end of this year. HD65 is confirmed but no news yet for HD82. I'm still waiting for a confirmation for HD82 before jumping in. It should accept 120hz which will need an active flipping glasses (around USD 70) for flipping left and right eye (60hz each).

·
Registered
704 Posts
I did a little reading on 3D projectors a few weekends ago and found this list .

Apparently a company named Depth-Q does some type of modifications to an Infocus 1280x720 DLP projector to allow it to accept a 120Hz signal. It looks like they are using the analogue/pc input - so, not sure if their modifications are firmware, hardware or possibly just tweaks to the service menu.

also, there are a few viewsonic xga projectors with 120Hz refresh rates that are

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Have they decided on a format for delivery yet?

120hz support in a display may end up being the next 1080p analog connection. Lots of people got burned thinking they were "HD ready" but the standards were written to sell new gear. Manufactures are going to want to cash in on 3D, so I wouldn't be surprised to see displays that are technically capable of supporting 3D, but lack the special sauce that's only included on new models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They haven't set standards for a delivery format -- or defined the connections. You're right, accepting a 120hz signal is no guarantee that a projector will be able to display the eventual 3-D Blu-ray. But when I buy my next projector, I'd like knowing I at least have a shot.

·
Registered
639 Posts
"...Optoma also had a prototype HD65 projector at CEDIA yesterday running 3D technology; however, the only difference between it and the currently available HD66 is that it's running new firmware. The movie industry is gearing up for a major 3D push sometime next year, but in the meantime NVIDA has stolen a march with its new 3D Vision technology, which is ideally suited for whopping great projector screens.

Excitingly, Optoma revealed that 3D-Ready versions of all its projectors may be coming along in the near future. For existing models, all that's needed is a firmware update."

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/06...-plans-for-3d/

Optoma pledges 3D projector by Christmas

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ /forum/post/16939310

I'm hoping that JVC's upcoming projector will accept a 120 hz signal that will give it at least some measure of being "3-D Ready." I saw 25 mins. of "Avatar" in 3-D at Comic-con last week along with the opening Buzz Lightyear sequence of "Toy Story 2" (newly rendered in 3-D), and they looked spectacular.

Do you mean Avatar: The Last Airbender? If so was it the series or the upcoming movie?

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no, not the M. Knight shumalongadingdong movie based on the cartoon. Were talking freaking James Cameron making the best movie ever called just Avatar.

It seems 3D is only coming to DLP, does anyone know why? Also the 3D projectors that have been anounced from Viewsonic and the Optoma ones are all craptastic 720p models with horrendous contrast ratio. Why is there no top of the line 1080p model with 3D support? Who are they selling these outdated projectors to? Doesn't seem like the home theatre enthusiast. hopefuly CEDIA they will announce some 3D projectors.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
High end 3D - look at Barco systems - they've been selling 3D front projection systems for a while.

Do a Google for 3D compatible front projectors and displays.

Take a look at XpanD stereoscopic shutter systems.

There are a number of dual image built into one projector units on the market.

If not for the crummy economy I think 2009 would be a big year for HT 3D but just as hundreds of commercial theaters have delayed their upgrades to 3D HT makers are going slower.

You can learn more at www.dcinematoday.com .

Main thing is 3D will be THE THING over the next two or three years - bout time. There is just tons of information online re commercial theater and home theater technology - goggle - goggle - goggle!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 /forum/post/16962919

no, not the M. Knight shumalongadingdong movie based on the cartoon. Were talking freaking James Cameron making the best movie ever called just Avatar.

It seems 3D is only coming to DLP, does anyone know why? Also the 3D projectors that have been anounced from Viewsonic and the Optoma ones are all craptastic 720p models with horrendous contrast ratio. Why is there no top of the line 1080p model with 3D support? Who are they selling these outdated projectors to? Doesn't seem like the home theatre enthusiast. hopefuly CEDIA they will announce some 3D projectors.

there is no 3d standard yet settled on--how can manufacturers possibly begin designing pj's without a standard being settled on? yet another format war? i am guessing the pj makers will probably hold off until the standard is set so as to not lose money in this market...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
There is a transmission and connection standard - HDMI 1.4. It can transmit two complete / discrete 1920x1080 data streams at 60hz each.

The problem is a source (at least as far as commercial movies go.) Blu-Ray can't deliver the content in a standards compliant way, although I think encoding 24hz movies into a 1920x1080p60 stream should be no problem - it's just not part of a standard.

The only mass market real 3D sources that exist right now are PC video games.

I think the lack of a 3D standard for movie sources (both software and players) is all but guaranteed to be addressed at CES 2010 in January. The Playstation 3 could easily be firmware upgraded to display a 3D source - in fact Sony has demo'd PS3 games in 3D, although on the downside, current hardware lacks an HDMI 1.4 connection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts