AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/18860936


I'm still convinced [email protected] is going to exceed 3D at commercial theaters. I'll be very surprised if that isn't the case. I broke down and bought a 63" 3D plasma, and it exceeds the picture quality of almost all the 3D theaters I've ever been to - perhaps not in every way, but certainly in most. I'd wager that I'll have a 3D projection home theater within the year and that I'll be seeing Avatar with picture quality that is better than any of the four times (and three different commercial theaters) where I saw it originally.

I completely agree. This was the case with 2D and I expect the same will be true with 3D. Hopefully we'll have several 3D PJ's to choose from at the next CES
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Marshall /forum/post/18861823


I completely agree. This was the case with 2D and I expect the same will be true with 3D. Hopefully we'll have several 3D PJ's to choose from at the next CES

we will indeed. Apparently, Sony already has a 3D PJ (sxrd) that uses active shutter glasses making some rare appearances in Europe. Hopefully we'll hear more soon, but even this year's CEDIA will be swarming with 3D projectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/18860936


I'm still convinced [email protected] is going to exceed 3D at commercial theaters..

You couldn't be more right. Consider that this is possible now with first Gen 3DTV electronics and it becomes a forgone conclusion..size is the only temporary obstacle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
It appears that Epson has LCoS-based (a first for Epson) 3D projectors coming out late this year that will use polarized, rather than shutter glasses.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/18863665


It appears that Epson has LCoS-based (a first for Epson) 3D projectors coming out late this year that will use polarized, rather than shutter glasses.

Sounds like a rebadged LG which was shown at CES - MSRP = $10,000.


And you have the hassel of the silver screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18863892


Sounds like a rebadged LG which was shown at CES - MSRP = $10,000.


And you have the hassel of the silver screen.


That would be a no-go for me. I dont want to have to use a special screen just for 3-D. I am curious to hear more about the shutter glasses projectors though, especially from JVC.


I am planning on skipping the first gen of 3-D projectors for various reasons (most likely will be out of my budget and would like to hold out for a 2nd or 3rd gen machine which will surely iron out some major kinks that first gen units will have), but if price and performance were right, that could change. If nothing else, there should be some great deals on current projectors that will be replaced with their 3-D counterparts. I would love to get in on a JVC at a great price (I keep missing the RS10 deals, but maybe for good reason).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18863892


Sounds like a rebadged LG which was shown at CES - MSRP = $10,000.


And you have the hassel of the silver screen.

No - LG is using LCoS (SXRD) panels OEM'ed from Sony and is a dual light engine configuration (6 display chips). Epson has set up their manufacturing line for LCoS panels (there are already the largest manufacturer of LCD display chips and have been supplying Panasonic, Mitsubishi and others). They have been developing their own LCoS chips for the past 2 or 3 years and these are just now getting into production. We may also see a 3D LCoS projector coming from Panasonic using the Epson display chips, but perhaps not until 2011.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
A 3D screen isn't a big hassle. I bought the material to use in my existing frame for around $360 from Harkness Hall, who make screens for commercial theaters. They provide mounting material too, in my case 3M dual lock. The screen material looks very similar to my Vutec Silverstar screen I am using now. Then you can use free super light passive polarized glasses. In the end the hassle of charging/changing batteries in an active setup will add up to more. Just 2 pairs of active glasses will pay for the screen material. I wouldn't write it off too fast.

Warren.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb /forum/post/18875703


A 3D screen isn't a big hassle. I bought the material to use in my existing frame for around $360 from Harkness Hall, who make screens for commercial theaters. They provide mounting material too, in my case 3M dual lock. The screen material looks very similar to my Vutec Silverstar screen I am using now. Then you can use free super light passive polarized glasses. In the end the hassle of charging/changing batteries in an active setup will add up to more. Just 2 pairs of active glasses will pay for the screen material. I wouldn't write it off too fast.

Warren.

You didn't explain how you change from your normal screen to your silver screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
I don't have it set up yet, still waiting on a projector to come out


I don't indend on switching screens between 2D and 3D though. My theater doesn't switch screens between 2D and 3D. Anyway I will be in 3D probably 98% of the time since I mostly game on my system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18876651


You didn't explain how you change from your normal screen to your silver screen.

Exactly. I would think for most of us (including myself) having to switch screens JUST for 3d material which will be relatively little (especially at first) would be a huge hassle. For me, it is simply not an option at this point which is why I would only look at active shutter projector models if/when I start shopping for a 3d projector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18881285


Exactly. I would think for most of us (including myself) having to switch screens JUST for 3d material which will be relatively little (especially at first) would be a huge hassle. For me, it is simply not an option at this point which is why I would only look at active shutter projector models if/when I start shopping for a 3d projector.

Unless one screen (probably the 3D one) was stationary and the other (2D) was a pull-down. That would be easy... just roll up or down like a shade (or electrified if a more high-end setup).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts
It is what makes the current crop of DLP 720p-ish 3D ready projectors hard to stay away from.


Add anybody's DLP Link glasses and your there. or so I hope anyways. Stinks that current implementation don't work for PS3 gaming though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18881285


Exactly. I would think for most of us (including myself) having to switch screens JUST for 3d material which will be relatively little (especially at first) would be a huge hassle. For me, it is simply not an option.

I totally agree. I need one projector and one screen....so for me anything else is an unacceptable compromise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
You don't need to switch screens. The theater doesn't. I realize in the old days 3D screens sucked, but the quality ones today work just fine for 2D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,464 Posts
No way for a polarizing maintaining screen to be best for 2D. It might be OK for the less discriminating but if your 2D PQ standards are high, no way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/18885727


No way for a polarizing maintaining screen to be best for 2D. It might be OK for the less discriminating but if your 2D PQ standards are high, no way.

True - silver screens hot spot when used for 2D projection. Just a fact of life. Plus getting color uniformity is next to impossible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18885782


True - silver screens hot spot when used for 2D projection. Just a fact of life. Plus getting color uniformity is next to impossible.

Yes, but there are 3D screens that maintain polarization other than the old-fashioned silver. The one used in digital theaters is a dual-purpose screen that doesn't hot-spot like silver, yet maintains polarization for passive 3D.


It probably isn't the best 2D screen in the world, but it's much better for 2D than a silver screen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet /forum/post/18886176


Yes, but there are 3D screens that maintain polarization other than the old-fashioned silver. The one used in digital theaters is a dual-purpose screen that doesn't hot-spot like silver, yet maintains polarization for passive 3D.


It probably isn't the best 2D screen in the world, but it's much better for 2D than a silver screen.

Who is the manufacturer of these screens that you speak of?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb /forum/post/18875703


A 3D screen isn't a big hassle. I bought the material to use in my existing frame for around $360 from Harkness Hall, who make screens for commercial theaters. They provide mounting material too, in my case 3M dual lock.

Warren.

I am about to build my own screen for passive polarized projection and I just found your post.

This is VERY interesting as I will need a custom frame (probably self made with some wood) and I was trying to figure out a way to attach a silver screen to such a frame. But this is my very first projection frame and I know how non depolarizing screen are fragile.

I heard Harkness screens are excellent screens for polarised 3D and 360$ seems really affordable, what is the size of your screen ?


Can you give me more details on this attachment system ? On which part of the screen is the attachment ? how easy is it to install ?
 
281 - 300 of 379 Posts
Top