AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any 3D projectors that work with Bluray / XBOX360 / SBS videos out of the box without the 3D-XL adapter?

I am on the fence on buying the HD66 as i'll need to get the 3D-XL in JAN 2011 but is there any projectors under $1000 that can play 3D content without the need of an adapter or PC video card?

·
Registered
912 Posts
True, which still puts you over $2000 and needing a special screen. Honestly, having used a dual-projector setup, even if it were the same cost I'd prefer stepping down to 720p over using a silver screen again. I personally found the hot spotting to be intolerable, and ghosting much more noticeable than with shutter glasses. I truly wish dolby/infitec color correction was available at a consumer level; I used infitec glasses and filters for a while in spite of the discoloration and it just works brilliantly... Awesome extinction rates for passive glasses, and a normal screen... But without color correction it's just not tolerable.

a pair of the optoma boxes, a couple hd20's, a pair of infitec filters, a color correction box, and some dolby 3d glasses (which are FINALLY readily available for $30!!) would be right near the ultimate 3d setup IMO. All we need is color correction :/

·
Registered
16 Posts
what about a htpc w/nvidia, it can do games, but what if you also install a BR player. can it do 3D on movies?

also i heard the Optoma HD67 is the replacement for the HD66. it shows up on the dell site as the Optoma HD672X.

(sort of in the same boat)..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub
what about a htpc w/nvidia, it can do games, but what if you also install a BR player. can it do 3D on movies?

also i heard the Optoma HD67 is the replacement for the HD66. it shows up on the dell site as the Optoma HD672X.

as far as i understood the HD67 was just the europe version of the HD66 and not a new mode,, am i wrong?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub

The only problem with the HD672X is that Dell doesn't give enough information on it. And neither does the official Optoma US site list it. So I too am on the wall over this HD672X. The HD672X could be the next generation HD66 but without confirmation from Optoma, there's no telling what it really is. Once the 3D-XL unit comes out next month, I'll then make my choice as to what projector to go with. And hopefully Dell and Optoma will have more information on this HD672X by then.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Why are these projectors built to not work with stand alone 3d BR players? The fact that Optima is coming out with the 3D-XL would leave you to beleive a lot of projectors will continue to be built the same way. Why is this?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 /forum/post/19587145

Woah, you have to have a box for each? I thought you could do it with a single.

No not if you use 2 projectors. That box allows 1 720p/120 3d image. Or with 2 lined up 1080p projectors (not easy to do well) you can use 2 boxes (effectively 1 for left eye and one for right) and have a passive 1080p 3d system. Of course, then you also need a polarized screen which is going to get expensive...

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The 120hz sequential 3D is a winner. These projectors are pretty decent for home theater use. I'd call it a winning combo for sure.

I find the 3D better than my local cinema plex for sure. As a matter of fact once I got my setup going? It has been the best 3D I have seen period.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/19613731

The 120hz sequential 3D is a winner. These projectors are pretty decent for home theater use. I'd call it a winning combo for sure.

I find the 3D better than my local cinema plex for sure. As a matter of fact once I got my setup going? It has been the best 3D I have seen period.

thanks

Got it last night

I removed my HD65 and mounted the HD66 with same mount in same location .... almost a perfect fit, i'll have to move my velvet border a littlecloseron the sides but not much (less than a inch total)

I tried some picture settings from here and projectro central.com but the image was awful and lacked colour. So i did a reset and only changed the gamma to "PC" and turned offbrilliant colour and the image is great and sharp, a noticeable upgrade from the HD65 and whisper quiet to boot. I sit directly under my ceiling mounted projector and could always here my HD65, but the HD66 is like a mouse .... don't hear anything . bonus =)

now i have no way to view 3D content (even though i have some demo SBS MKVs) i have to wait for this 3D-XL adapter and can't wait to try some Xbox360 with 3D

How are you viewing 3D? PC?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
An HTPC with 3D Vision, I own both TMT and PowerDVD.... The solution is quirky.

I have pre-ordered the Optoma 3D-XL

I use both 3D Vision glasses and DLP-Link with nearly equal success. My DLP links have a better more consistant sync than the 3D Vision glasses though. But noboyd I invite over has really complained about any of the glasses or sync.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.