AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 4K TV, but given the cost would like to make it as future proof as possible. That would include 4K @ 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma sampling for using with an HTPC, HDCP 2.2, 10-bit color, and 3D support.

But one thing I don't see mentioned is the 4K at 24 Hz or 24p for playing back film at its native frame rate. I suppose this would work by showing each frame for 5x the refresh rate at 120 Hz, but I can't imagine there are many sets that support 4K @ 120 Hz (I believe that's usually only for 1080p content). So the display panel would need to directly support a 24 Hz refresh at 4K to avoid any judder. Do any sets do this? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
There are tons of sets the support [email protected] from a display perspective.

The limitation on [email protected] is an HDMI limitation, not a panel limitation.

So, to answer your question, yes there are lots of TVs that support 24p.

There is a partial list here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-24p-playback-on-tvs

Almost all the TVs with 120Hz panels plus a handful of the TVs with 60Hz panels that have a 24Hz mode.

NOTE: The most notable TVs that don't support your requirements are this years Samsung TVs with 60Hz panels.

·
Registered
587 Posts
But one thing I don't see mentioned is the 4K at 24 Hz or 24p for playing back film at its native frame rate.
Even film projectors don't show movies at the "native" 24 fps. In the theater you're seeing movies double-shuttered to 48 Hz, or triple-shuttered to 72 Hz. Why, aside from some form of ritual torture would you want to watch a movie at 24 Hz flicker rate?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Vizio explicitly says that their 2014 P-series and 2015 M-series TVs can display 24p at its native 24 FPS frame rate. This isn't even 5:5 pulldown. It is truly displaying at 24 FPS.

Just look on their P-series description page. It goes into detail about the 24p capabilities the TV has. It also states that the M-series has the same capabilities on the M-series page but it doesn't go into as much detail there.

From the P-series Description

"Pure Cinema Engine.
The VIZIO P-Series blows away traditional 3:2 pull-down with a Pure Cinema Engine that adjusts its frame rate to show films as the creators intended, in their native 24 and 48 frames per second, with a fidelity that will thrill the cinephile in you.

24/48 FPS"

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even film projectors don't show movies at the "native" 24 fps. In the theater you're seeing movies double-shuttered to 48 Hz, or triple-shuttered to 72 Hz. Why, aside from some form of ritual torture would you want to watch a movie at 24 Hz flicker rate?
with an LCD it really only matters the time to redraw a frame. It doesn't matter if it's showing one frame for 1/24 of a second in between VSYNCs, or the same frame 5 times at 1/120 of a second per frame. In fact the slower frame rate may be ideal (though likely imperceptible) given the fewer number of VSYNCs and refreshes.

Thanks for other responses. It makes sense that [email protected] will have no problems with HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, and that internally the frame rate can be increased 5x to match the internal panel rate of 120 Hz.

·
Registered
587 Posts
with an LCD it really only matters the time to redraw a frame. It doesn't matter if it's showing one frame for 1/24 of a second in between VSYNCs, or the same frame 5 times at 1/120 of a second per frame. In fact the slower frame rate may be ideal (though likely imperceptible) given the fewer number of VSYNCs and refreshes.
I don't think you need to worry about tiring out the LCD panel. And the 120 Hz refresh rate is to keep from tiring the eyes, which is the real concern in this case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts