AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I had a question about a DIY acoustic treatment I was planning.

I was planning to put dark velvet curtains on several of the walls in my theater. The main purpose of this is to cut down on reflections from the Projector Screen. However, I'd also like to do a little bit of home-made acoustic treatment and see how that works. If there is a noticable improvement I may try acoustic panels later.

My home-made solution is to use 2" thick polyester fiber-batting (similar to the inside of a quilt) and cover the walls behind the curtain in that. My question is whether or not this is worth pursuing, and if it will even make an audible difference. I figured it would be best to ask first before going out and buying a bunch of batting. :)

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
It certainly won't hurt anything. My only thing is that the curtain is going to kill most of the highs that the batting would be good at absorbing (pretty fluffy). That said, being 2" thick, it might still do some good in the mids.

Personally, I'd just get some 2" 703 fiberglass or 2" acoustical cotton and put it up. The cost would be slightly more but it would do a much better job and is much more usable in other parts of the room if you chose to go that way.

My concern is that you are going to premise wheter or not you even try acoustic panels (a real necessary component in pretty much any room) on a solution that is hardly optimal.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.