AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Sharp DT-510 and calculated I needed 96" to make an 82" screen. Of course, I just have 95", but I noticed the VGA plug sticking out the back of my current projector uses about 3". Are there any L Shaped adapters or something that could cut the VGA plug size to 1-2" so I can get my 96" for my 82" screen?

Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I found some by searching angle vga adapter, I was searching L shape vga adapter.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks counterbond I hadn't seen your reply when I posted my reply above.

On that website they want $17 to ship it to Canada and I'm not sure I trust their simply "up" and "down" descriptions, I will have the projector upside down and am not sure if the plugs on the projectors are standard position. Another site has a clear picture of them to show the direction but they don't tell the shipping cost to Canada.

I'll keep looking and ask both websites for details.

Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm now using a 35 foot VGA cable to get to my LCD projector. I just bought a Sharp DT-510 and am wondering if it's worth changing my VGA to VGA cable to a DVI to HDMI cable? As I said in another post I was also looking for a VGA right angle adapter and they are much easier to find in HDMI.

Also, can I sent a regular 1280x720 computer signal through the HDMI port and have the projector use it or do I have to set the computer to some HDMI compliant signal? I know with VGA/Component you need to change a setting or colors are wrong.

Finally, can a DVI/HDMI signal travel through a 35-40 foot cable? My current 35 foot VGA works fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, but will there be any benefits to using HDMI? I'm quite sure the image quality is nearly identical between component, VGA and HDMI and that any differences are extremely minor.

The reason I was thinking of switching to HDMI was that as I said the right angle adapter is far easier to find available in Canada than a right angle VGA adapter. Secondly, while making adjustments to my current 35ft VGA cable I accidentally pulled on it while it was screwed into the projector and broke off the 2 screws, leaving the ends in the projector's connector (I was able to unscrew the hex bolts and screw in some from the video card of an old PC so the projector is like new again except the VGA cable no longer has the screws to fasten it).

In either case I'd like to know if it's possible to replace the screws at the end of the VGA cable, they do not seem easily removable but I didn't really try either.

So what if any benefits would I get with a DVI to HDMI cable instead of a DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA to VGA cable (other than an easy to find right angle adapter)?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 /forum/post/15525188

Thanks, but will there be any benefits to using HDMI? I'm quite sure the image quality is nearly identical between component, VGA and HDMI and that any differences are extremely minor.

The reason I was thinking of switching to HDMI was that as I said the right angle adapter is far easier to find available in Canada than a right angle VGA adapter. Secondly, while making adjustments to my current 35ft VGA cable I accidentally pulled on it while it was screwed into the projector and broke off the 2 screws, leaving the ends in the projector's connector (I was able to unscrew the hex bolts and screw in some from the video card of an old PC so the projector is like new again except the VGA cable no longer has the screws to fasten it).

In either case I'd like to know if it's possible to replace the screws at the end of the VGA cable, they do not seem easily removable but I didn't really try either.

So what if any benefits would I get with a DVI to HDMI cable instead of a DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA to VGA cable (other than an easy to find right angle adapter)?

hi abb1, I am considering buying this projector too. Can you do 1280x720 over vga on this projector?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinChan /forum/post/15526872

hi abb1, I am considering buying this projector too. Can you do 1280x720 over vga on this projector?

I don't have it yet but yes you can. I've read the manual already which I downloaded. I was planning in using 1280x720 over VGA but now that I broke the VGA cable I may go with HDMI/DVI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts