AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early generation RCA DTC100 satellite receiver which I am connecting to a Pioneer Pro 710-HD RPTV using an RGB (analog) cable. Would there be any advantage to upgrading the satellite box to a newer generation digital receiver understanding I would need to incorporate some kind of digital analog converter, i.e. either HDMI > RGB or HDMI>component? There are no digital inputs on the 710-HD.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
If you get an HD receiver then you'll get to experience the HD features of your set - regardless of how it's connected. You don't need a converter - just use the component output of the receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biker19:

Thanks for your reply. The RCA DTC100 is an HD receiver. I get HD programming. What I was wondering was whether I might get better picture quality from a newer generation Sat receiver. The RGB is a 15 pin configuration and superior to component. The question is whether I can expect an improvement in PQ by going with a digital receiver with an HDMI out into the RGB by use of a converter.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Nope - you'll be receiving the same 1s and 0s with a newer unit. It unlikely an external converter would do a better job than what's inside the unit. As I mentioned use a component connection. If the unit has an ATSC tuner and you have an antenna, you could tune to an HD OTA ch and do a comparison on the PQ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The RCA does not have component outputs. So the question becomes do I stick with the RCA (RGB out into RBG in) or move up to digital box and go from the component outs of the new box into the RGB inputs of the TV by use of a component to RGB converter?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
If all of the HD info is passed along the RGB connection I'm not sure how much better a component connection will be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any improvement expected if I use the component inputs on the TV, so component out of the new box > component in to the TV vs. staying with the RCA (RGB>RGB)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts