AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the additional bandwidth of the NEC 9pg have any real world value over the 6pg? Can a 6pg be upgraded to a 9pg?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Just put the point board in and don't worry about it.

Every single NEC product in the same family I've looked into appears to have identical parts in the video path.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/0

Just put the point board in and don't worry about it.

Every single NEC product in the same family I've looked into appears to have identical parts in the video path.

Sweet. So they have the same bandwidth? Which is it then, 60 or 90Khz? NEC marketing

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Umm, I think you better do some research on the difference between SCANRATE and BANDWIDTH.

I think the bandwidth is the same.

But the scanrate sure is different - not that it matters. 60khz is enough.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they have identical parts in the video chain, why does the 90 have a higher scanrate?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
So it can scan higher.

Scanrate is set by the deflection board, nothing to do with the video chain.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Scanrate is the rate of the horizontal deflection "scanning". It sets a hard limit on the max res (a combination of h res, v res and refresh rate).

Bandwidth is the maximum "speed" that it can swing the cathode from black to white. It is not a hard number limit, but you will slowly blur the horizontal resolution.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/0

So it can scan higher.

I do appreciate your answers. Much of this stuff I pick up as I go along (as we all do). Gotta start somewhere!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.