AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any definite benefits to using a DVD with progressive scan component output versus interlaced component output with a 75u projector? The 75u should deinterlace and perform 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown. I guess its simply a contest of who has the better deinterlacer technology the DVD player or the 75u.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had the 75u for about a week and will be the first to admit I'm no expert.....

When it first arrived, I was running Sony interlaced dvd > 15 ft. s-video > 75u and my untrained eyes were very happy with the pq right out of the box. However, after picking up the rp56 and a Canare breakout cable, I'm very, very, very, very happy.

I does make a significant difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you went from s-video to progressive component - could you try switching the component output from progressive to interlaced and comment on the difference??

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The setup menu allows tweaking of the R-G-B color settings, whereas you don't get that with the S-Video connection. As for an interlaced component signal, that would be an interesting test. I happen to have a Pioneer Elite 300DVD changer with interlaced component...I'll have to try it against my RP56 sometime.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dxb, I believe you're right - it comes down to 'who has the better deinterlacer.' For point of reference, displaying progessive component seems a little sharper than interlaced component with my RP56.

Robert, RGB are only individually tweakable on an RGB (ie. HTPC) connection - not on a YPbPr connection.

·
Registered
297 Posts
To get RGB you can also use something called a transcoder. I havn't used one but it's talked about on the AE100 threads.

On your breakout cables are there two extra leads; black and gray? Are you just leaving them dangle or are you removing any pins from the connector or jumping them in some way? . I'm asking because I still can't get my toshiba 9200 to output a progressive signal to my 75U.

HTPC experiment:

Played a DVD (Crouching Tiger) from my Mac last night and it seemed to noticably reduce screen door which despite MLA has me sitting a lit6tle further back than I'd want to. My son thought it was radically better and more filmlike. I loved what it seemed to do to reduce screen door but wished I could still have the picture controls the DVD player offers. I will def. experiment with HTPC some more and may have to build a darn pc.

-bd

·
Registered
697 Posts
Bonedog. HI

IF YOU LOOK REALLY TO THE MANUAL. YOU WILL SEE

only 3 rca are connected no blk or grey .

i have 5bnc break out cable.

i have also key digital transcoder. i used only 3 rca not 5. i had to buy rf adapter to convert bnc to rca .

i got them from radio shake.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Finally got it to work after getting advice on the DVD hardware forum from another toshiba owner. I was only using the three RBG leads on the breakout - that wasn't the problem. There is a button hidden under the remote flap called colorstream seltector that switches it. Almost no mention in the manual. So far I havn't noticed much difference. I hadn't seen any artifacts wih interlaced and the Panny's processor and my player allows even more output adjustment on interlaced component. I will look at computer output again because it really seemed to nearly emlimintate screendoor.

thanks all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.