AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building a Parkland screen and because of my room config I need to be able to hang it from the ceiling and remove it when not in use. It weighs about 35-40 lbs. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
One person suggested using eyehooks and chain, another suggested using high tension cable, both of which should be available at home depot, lowes, etc. It might be a good idea to just swing by home depot or lowes and see what they have that might work for you. You probably have taken a look at this, but if not, the thread "HDTV Screen - High Quality and Very Low Cost" has a lot of information, there is even some about mounting towards the end I think. Good luck, and I'd love to see some pictures as I should be trying to make myself one soon also.

Dan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Dan, I ended up using the eyehooks and chain. So far so good (nothing collapsed). Good luck with your own project! BTW, I have a unused roll of 5x10 Parkland if you need it. I bought 2 assuming I'd screw up on the 1st one but it was real easy to make. Your location isnt listed, but if you cant get the Parkland in your area feel free to have this one.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by happystick
Thanks for the reply Dan, I ended up using the eyehooks and chain. So far so good (nothing collapsed). Good luck with your own project! BTW, I have a unused roll of 5x10 Parkland if you need it. I bought 2 assuming I'd screw up on the 1st one but it was real easy to make. Your location isnt listed, but if you cant get the Parkland in your area feel free to have this one.
The eyehooks and chains work fine. I'll be ordering a Stewart Firehawk soon and I needed to test the concept on a DIY contraption. A 7 ft piece of 1 x 4 pine is screwed into the ceiling with four wood screws that go through the plaster/drywall and into a joist. I bored two 3/8" holes through the wood and sunk in a pair of threaded screw inserts for 1/4" machine bolts. Got this from Brookstone years ago. Home Depot sells eye hooks which are machine threaded, and they fit these inserts just fine. I prefer this type of eyehook to the self-tapping ones.

How did you get the weight of your wood frame under 40 lb? According to other hobbyists, you have to glue the Parkland sheet to a flat backing surface. Otherwise it looks too wavy, and you'll really see this when you project a rectangular grid onto the screen. This potential uneveness problem and the poorer achieved black level have me convinced that a fixed screen Stewart is the answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.