AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks. i just bought a sony 36xbr800 from an authorized sony retailer. however, when i brought the tv home and removed the top of the box, i noticed the tv had a broken power button....it was a bit caved in. i know this is a little ticky-tack problem, however, when i pay this much for a tv i would like for it to be perfect. i have contacted my local retailer and he said that i could not exchange, even though i'm still within my 30 days.....because he said it was physical damage and i moved it myself. i have also contacted sony and their rep. said that it was not covered under warranty and that i would have to pay to have it repaired.

i was just wondering if i was right in asking for an exchange on the tv. we never dropped the tv....everything else is fine....not even a scratch on it....the button was broken to begin with. shouldn't the retailer be able to exchange it. any advice on what i should do would be appreciated.

a little bummed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also....i've noticed in letterbox mode...the top right side has a little droop to it...about a 1/4 of an inch....compared to the top left side. is this normal....as it cant be perfect....or could there be a bit of a problem.

thx

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry I can't help you more. Situations like this are really tricky. Yes you may have a viable claim, but Sony feels it's not really a defect. I'm already in a situation with Sony myself about the vertical bar problem. If it's really something that bothers you, I would be really persistent with Sony. You could just plug an HD box into the set to see if the vertical bar is there, then you really have a case :p

About the bending, this is a geometry problem typical of large screen direct view sets. It's not a defect that can't be corrected in the service menu. An ISF tech can fix almost all picture defects better than you can do by eye or with a Avia disc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.