AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a less than 2K 'bright' projector to use with my 12' wide High Power Screen that has vertical stretch like AX100.

Just when I decided to get AX100, I read several issues with the projector that are poping like pop-ups on spam sites. I might still try to buy from Costco and take a chance with the hope I might get a good cherry.

Before I do that, I would appreciate if anyone can suggest an alternate projector that will work for my setup with Vertical Stretch feature in projector. I think DLPs with offset will be an issue in setting us with High Power screens as I need to minimize the viewing angle from the projector lens.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
The Optoma HD73 and Mitsubishi HC3100 both have the needed vertical stretch - the former might be bright enough (spec 1300 lumens), but the latter might not (spec 1000 lumens, but I believe tests out lower).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HD73 would probably have worked if I already didn't have a High Power screen. To get maximum gain from High power the angle between projector lens and viewer eyes should be less. So, you are looking to have the projector lens atleast few inches below the screen top.

I wonder how people with High Power screens are setting up their DLPs?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am also interested here, I am wanting to purchase an AX100 next week but I am not so sure with people having lots of issues. I am considering the Z5 with a DVD player that does the stretch or an external scaler...

More options please...

Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok, I did my research it just seems the for 720P CIH projectors that are LCD based there is really no other choice out there this year. Z5 is out, Epson 400 is out (both don't V stretch). Cheapest scaler is about 1K, 1080P is still immature...

I was up until midnight last night and went with the AX100U and purchased it from Costco.com. I figure if I have any issues I can return it and what a price difference having that perk is. Purchasing it online charges the full sales tax plus it is $100 more then Visual Apex at time of purchase.

I hope I won't be disappointed, this is my first PJ and dedicated theater room, wish me luck!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
GOOD LUCK

For the OP, what is the Benq 8720 selling for nowdays? It does the V stretch (or so I am told) even over digital...

Mark

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just pulled the trigger on AX100 from Costco. I hope I get a cherry and not a lemon :)

It's worth paying $200 more at Costco knowing I will have no headaches if this projectors turns out to be a nightmare for me with the issues some are reporting here.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/0

GOOD LUCK

For the OP, what is the Benq 8720 selling for nowdays? It does the V stretch (or so I am told) even over digital...

Mark

Even on ebay it sells for over 3K. From authorized dealer, I say it's over 4K

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits /forum/post/0

I just pulled the trigger on AX100 from Costco. I hope I get a cherry and not a lemon :)

It's worth paying $200 more at Costco knowing I will have no headaches if this projectors turns out to be a nightmare for me with the issues some are reporting here.

Lets both post back our experiences here. I really hope the issues are rare and just due to the volume of purchases it seems like it happnes all the time.

~Matt

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishIWasFlying /forum/post/0

Lets both post back our experiences here. I really hope the issues are rare and just due to the volume of purchases it seems like it happnes all the time.

~Matt

I sure will but it might take me 2-weeks before I can setup the screen. But I might try throwing an image on a white wall. I can't install my screen until carpet is installed as I plan on building a virtual wall after carpet is intalled.

But, this weekend I will be visiting a friend who just received his projector from VA and he is all bonkers over the quality of the image he is seeing. I will be taking my HD-DVD player and will be checking it out with HD material. I am sure he had a poorer eye than me in seeing the problems reported here.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits /forum/post/0

I sure will but it might take me 2-weeks before I can setup the screen. But I might try throwing an image on a white wall. I can't install my screen until carpet is installed as I plan on building a virtual wall after carpet is intalled.

But, this weekend I will be visiting a friend who just received his projector from VA and he is all bonkers over the quality of the image he is seeing. I will be taking my HD-DVD player and will be checking it out with HD material. I am sure he had a poorer eye than me in seeing the problems reported here.

Sounds familiar. My carpet in my theater is being installed on Feb 8th. I am taking off the entire week to finish up the sound proofing, lens mounting, screen mounting etc. I just ordered the AVIA guide to HT for tuning.

See you back here in 2-3 weeks for review.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar /forum/post/0

I have had the AX100 since November 2006 and it has been trouble free. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Laters,

Jeff

Thanks for posting! Glad to hear you are trouble free

·
Registered
275 Posts
I recieved my AX100 from Costco today. I also see that they lowered their price to match Visual Apex. It is going to sit in the box though for another week or so while I finish up the theater.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishIWasFlying /forum/post/0

I recieved my AX100 from Costco today. I also see that they lowered their price to match Visual Apex. It is going to sit in the box though for another week or so while I finish up the theater.

Same will be the case with my AX100. I received it earlier this week and I will not be able to have screen setup until Feb 17th. I hope I don't see the color issues almost everyone seem to be having with this projector as I don't see a projector with similar features around this price.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I actually had to look up Aussimorphic lens as I didn't see any power buy besides the UH-380. Very cool! I purchased a Prismasonic 1400R on a power buy last November. Just one more week to go before I get to test it and my new AX-100. I can hardly wait!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Preliminary results look promising... I finished up construction on my new theater this weekend and hastily got the AX100 and Prismasonic 1400R installed. In Cinema 1/Eco mode I am not noticing any flicker. I have also not noticed any color shifts when presented with a white screen.

Again this is only preliminary as I was so excited to finally have my projector working that I sat down did a quick (super quick) setup and watched a movie.

I also am having trouble with the V-FIT mode working with my Denon DVD player (480P) upon closer inspection I may have to purchase an upscaling DVD player to output 1080P in order to get the V-FIT option to show up in the aspect ratio menu on the AX100. As I type this I remembered that the DVD player is set to output 480i which is what it was previously setup to output on my SDTV. I will change this to 480P tonight and try it again... Fingers crossed as I had to resort to the ZOOM aspect ratio which cropped the heck out of the picture.

*** was still impressed though ***

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok Panasonic AX100 manual states that V-FIT mode is supported on 720P + resolutions so I am out of the game with my standard def Denon DVD player. I am using component cables to the PJ.

I will have to quickly research an upscaling DVD player or find one that does the proper V stretch...

DARN IT...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.