AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased 24 2'x4' pieces of OC703 to make panels and now I'm in a need of a material to wrap around. Do not really want to pay $15/yard for GOM. Is there any substitute that I can buy in a regular fabrics store?

Btw, how many yards of fabric would I need?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There are lots of materials that you can use, however, remember flammability ratings should be important to you as well as whether or not the material is suitable or accoustical purposes. If you put fabric in front of RLC speakers you want a very accoustically transparent material. If you are putting material in front of surround speakers than you may not need as transparent a material. IF you are only covering panels, you could likely get away with even less transparency.

A common test is to blow through the material. A good material for your use will allow a lot of air through. It's amazing how different some of the materials are.

Also, remember the width of the bolt of material is important unless you want to waste a lot of material. A lot of GOM is 66" wide . This is one reason why Gpowers and myself made our panels ~30" wide... so as to get 2 panels per width of GOM.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 /forum/post/17052680

Btw, how many yards of fabric would I need?

About one linear yard per 2" or 4" panel.

Frank

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I am going to head over to my local fabrics store and I'll ask for acoustically transparent fabric.

On another note, I have 24 2'x4' pieces in 1". Would you advise to go with 24 1" panels or 12 2" panels (or some sore of a mix)?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 /forum/post/17055548

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to head over to my local fabrics store and I'll ask for acoustically transparent fabric.

Expect a blank stare...........I doubt they will know what your talking about.

No fabric is fully acoustically transparent, and for treatments it does not need to be. As previously stated providing weave is not too tight and you can blow thru fabric you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Stick with a fabric that has lab tested acoustic results - otherwise you'll have no idea what it is absorbing/not/reflecting.

Flammability is crucial, especially if you've got the fabric near any equipment or light fitting, or power outlet - anything that might get remotely hot.

Don't jeopardise safety for looks - She'll get over it

I personally dont like the look of GOM (the weave)...but it works well, hunt around for an alternative that you can source locally. If you just want black, get a good quality grill cloth. Custom colours are expensive - I've got 2 600mmx600mm custom grills and that cost A$110 extra. You might be able to get cheaper.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have 3 different fabrics from GOM - only the FR701 has the "weave" look. I use the Fr701 in front of my front speakers around the stage and on my soffits.

Fabric is a big expense. Do it once and do it right.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well I didn't go with GOM. Thought it was limited in colors, limited wife acceptance. So, I went with the black stereo fabric from Joann Fabrics. It didn't show the OC703 in my bass traps, and it also had wonderful acoustic transparency. As far as flamability, it snuffs out any flames by melting over the spark/flame. I tested it.

Now, I did go with a flammable fabric for the upper part of my theater. I ended up purchasing a spray-on fire treatment over this fabric. I tested the performance of this treatment, and was very satisfied on how it prevented or snuffed out the potential for a fire.

If you do a search on GOM and fire, you'll see some debates about why people didn't use GOM and what they did to minimize fire risk.

Yes, GOM is the best for this issue, but one can be smart about not going with it and reducing any issues with another type of fabric.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Guilford of Maine is not the only game in town. Neither are all of its fabrics acoustically transparent.

C.F. Stinson has some decent acoustically transparent fabrics in their line. These include:
  • Hampshire
  • Vertical Solids and Blends
  • Galaxy
  • Repetition
  • Spiro

The first two are the most transparent.

BTW, don't expect a fabric manufacturer or seller to know anything about the acoustical transparency of their fabric. This includes GOM. As far as I know, they have never conducted such tests. Some manufacturers make claims of acoustical transparency, but these turn out to be either unsubstantiated or misinterpretations of data.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrm /forum/post/17059006

Well I didn't go with GOM. Thought it was limited in colors, limited wife acceptance. So, I went with the black stereo fabric from Joann Fabrics. It didn't show the OC703 in my bass traps, and it also had wonderful acoustic transparency. As far as flamability, it snuffs out any flames by melting over the spark/flame. I tested it.

Now, I did go with a flammable fabric for the upper part of my theater. I ended up purchasing a spray-on fire treatment over this fabric. I tested the performance of this treatment, and was very satisfied on how it prevented or snuffed out the potential for a fire.

If you do a search on GOM and fire, you'll see some debates about why people didn't use GOM and what they did to minimize fire risk.

Yes, GOM is the best for this issue, but one can be smart about not going with it and reducing any issues with another type of fabric.

Your theater looks good...

I have a question - I'll be creating 2'x4' panels by attaching fabric to the face of the OC703 boards. What about the back side of OC703? Can I just leave the fiber exposed (against the wall)?

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 /forum/post/17059425

I have a question - I'll be creating 2'x4' panels by attaching fabric to the face of the OC703 boards. What about the back side of OC703? Can I just leave the fiber exposed (against the wall)?

Sure, but building in some space between the panel and the wall would be the best option.

Frank

·
Registered
598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 /forum/post/17059425

Your theater looks good...

Thank you for the note. Yes you can, I used OC703 in two places - the bass traps are cut-up triangles that were placed against the drywall. You can see in the pictures how I cut them up quickly and then used spray adhesive to hold them in place.

The second spot was in the rear of the theater, lower-part, where I took a small sheet of OC703 and put it in that place in lieu of linacoustic. Likewise, I used spray adhesive to hold it in place.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.