AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting pretty tired of waiting for the 950/770 to come out. Looks like it may be ready in time for Christmas. Anyone have any recommendations for similar products? 7.1 audio.

Thanks

Eric

· Registered
2,188 Posts
At the price point of the 950, no. The closest competitor is the Rotel 1066 with a street price of around $1300.00. There are lots of amps in the $1800.00 range of the 770, but whether they are better is a matter of personal preference.

Outlaw has resumed shipping the 950 and 770, but if you aren't on the reservation list, you may have to wait a couple of months. The good news is that they seem to have worked out all the known bugs. Keep your fingers crossed.

· Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rt297
At the price point of the 950, no. The closest competitor is the Rotel 1066 with a street price of around $1300.00. There are lots of amps in the $1800.00 range of the 770, but whether they are better is a matter of personal preference.

Outlaw has resumed shipping the 950 and 770, but if you aren't on the reservation list, you may have to wait a couple of months. The good news is that they seem to have worked out all the known bugs. Keep your fingers crossed.
What is the price point of the 950? It isn't currently listed on their web site.

Seth

· Registered
826 Posts
Eric,

I am not sure how long you have been waiting. But, it does not make sense now to jump ship. I registered on 25th December and I got the e-mail. Also, understand that the number of reservations must be very high in the beginning and then again high after the beta test repors. Depending on when you got in your wait may be a lot shorter than you think because they are moving fast now--at least faster than I thought. Plus, there is really nothing out there for $900.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any other thoughts?

· Registered
578 Posts
There isn't any other unit this advanced for this price. I've had one for a week now (been waiting a year for it and got VERY mad at Outlaw in the last month of waiting, so I'm no blind Outlaw worshiper).

It's sound quality is tremendous!

For point of ref., I went from using a $400 Denon 1800 as a pre/pro (yes, very lowend mid-fi) connected to two Audiosource digital amp 7's and Newform Research speakers for mains and rears, and two DIY sonotube/12" Shiva subs mated to the Audiosource Amp 3.

I've also used my old Sony 330, and now Pannie RP-56 DVD players analog direct into my AMP 7 (it has /eft/right gain controls so it's a VERY direct audio path) to drive my main Newforms which was FAR better than running through the Denon's DAC, but was a hassle to hookup and unhook, and I couldn't have my subs in the mix that way also.

No kind of blind testing would ever be needed to compare the difference. It was literally from the very first second of spinning up a CD (optical into the 950's DAC) that the difference could be heard. Far more clarity, much tighter bass. Everything you can say about improvement of sound was there in a big obvious truckful.

My wife who doesn't really care too much about the electronics, and doesn't ever try to listen for any differences when I hook something new up could also tell instantly that the sound was worlds better!

One of the first things I noticed was jsut how clear all the overdubbed vocals were on tons of music from old Pink Floyd to new stuff like Soundgarden's amazing vocalists Chris Cornell's solo CD.

The production values between all my CD's are now easy to compare, yet they all now sound at least listenable, whereas before some CD's just sounded too bad to even bother with.

There's still better pre/pro's out there I'm sure, but you'll have to pay bigtime for a much better sounding pre/pro, or close to the Outlaw's price for a better stand alone DAC box, etc...

It's not all roses though. The case is nothing special. It's typical Rec. quality (meaning so-so). It's face buttons stick out A LOT, and are very flimsy. Like most of us I think do, I use my remote 99.9% of the time so I'm going to just avoid touching the buttons again.

The universal learning remote is ok, but nothing speacial IMO.

It's not very user friendly w/ it's almost all tiny rectangular buttons, Mute right below Power, and when switching what component you want to control, it switches modes on the 950 cutting the audio till the 950 re-aquires it).

I get around this by cupping my hand over the IR end when I switch input buttons -kinda' annoying, but workable.

It's on-screen set up is fine. Simple and easy. Does what it needs to do.

You can use the 950's screen to do everything exactly the same as the onscreen does, so I'll probably never use the onscreen again.

The sub out has a sharp 24db per octave x-over.

When I used to listen to my 'subs only' through my Denon's 80Hz x-over (I assume 80-100Hz at highest -the manual doesn't say), I could hear fairly full range audio with only a muffled highend of whatever song I was listening to.

This made the subs quite directional, and so I had them on opp. sides of the room to fix some room modes and fix the directionality of them.

Through the 950 (set to 80Hz) there's only bass going into the subs. And FAR tighter bass too. It really sounds like I bought totally new subs. I'm probably going to sell these two subs even and buy one SVS PC+ because I don't worry about directionality anymore, and would prefer my bass from one spot to insure it being as 'tight' sounding as possible.

Before this I thought I was going to set the x-over of my mains to 60Hz, but because of this sharp x-over I only have them set to 80Hz which allows my mains to be even more effortless by not having to produce much output below 80.

Blah, blah, blah... get this pre/pro! You'll 'probably' love it!

If not send it back for a refund, but you could probably sell it for a profit to someone in your town who thinks all pre/pro's are at least 2 or 3 grand or more!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.