AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is any knowledgable ATI rep/eng, or anyone else in possession of detailed information regarding the RT 550Pro, would you be able to divulge whether the IC is also capable of demodulating any of the DTV schemes?

TIA

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think the 550pro is ATi' latest video chip. It is on the back side of my X800XL and is used for the video in/out function. It is only 480i capable. I dont' use it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, thanks for the response.
Quote:
I think the 550pro is ATi' latest video chip
Yes, the RT550Pro is the lastest analog video decoder ATI released (last fall)
Quote:
It is on the back side of my X800XL and is used for the video in/out function
Interesting to hear that its used on your x800xl - that confirmation answers another question I was pondering (which isn't very important to me, but one I was curious about nonetheless --> I was also wondering what decoder/interface chip was going to be employed on the forthcoming aiw x800xl. The obvious candidate was the 550, being the only PCIe IC in the market place I'm aware of, both ATI wise or other).....Edit: as it turned out, these new AIW models used the older RT200 IC for their A/V decoder. In turn, the RT200 would feed the signal on to the GPU (Rxxx model) to provide the PCIe bridge...certainly makes sense.
Quote:
It is only 480i capable.
Yes, for the decoding of an analog signal. But in digital applications, the decoder chip isn't actually doing any decoding, it just functions as a conduit for the TS to get off the card i.e a bridge chip or interface with the bus the card is plugged into on the host system.

But the 550pro is a highly integrated multifunctional chip, and its duties go beyond the traditional role that such chips would play both in analog and digital card designs. For example, in an analog role it is capable of doing the demodulation, decoding the signal to YCbCr, and even MPEG2 encoding!

I'm just wondering if DTV demodulation schemes are also supported under the hood --- which, if present, would open the door for some possible PCIe HDTV cards designs (assuming its demodulation performance was respectable).........mirconas Microtune silicon tuner, RT550pro, 64MB ram, and a Janus tl880, all on a low profile pcie card, now that would be nice :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Seems you have more info on the RT550 than what I could find.

I couldn't tell you if it's on the HDTV wonder since I use a Fusion HDTV card.

You could post your questions w/ the Catalyst crew w/ their email "ticket" thingy on their site and they seem to respond most of the time.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Seems you have more info on the RT550 than what I could find.
Just everything available to the public
Quote:
I couldn't tell you if it's on the HDTV wonder
HDTV Wonder uses the older RT200 Conexant CX2388x A/V decoder
Quote:
You could post your questions w/ the Catalyst crew w/ their email "ticket" thingy on their site and they seem to respond most of the time.
That's the first I heard of them, but that certainly sounds like a good idea. Thanks. .... I wouldn't have thought about contacting ATI directly because of my direct experience with other manufacturers and the black hole phenomenon -- email goes in, answer never comes out....or anything vaguely resembling an answer to the question you've posed :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK
I was also wondering what decoder/interface chip was going to be employed on the forthcoming aiw x800xl. The obvious candidate was the 550 .....

i.e a bridge chip or interface with the bus the card is plugged into on the host system.
I have since observed that it was actually the RT200 that was selected. I guess that its output is just being piped back into the V/GPU for output across the PCIe ... unless they've updated the RT200 for pcie too, but hightly doubt it.

Quote:
being the only PCIe IC in the market place I'm aware of, both ATI wise or other
Micronas APB 7202A nGene can be added to that list ... likely several others

Quote:
mirconas silicon tuner
that should have been "Microtune"

Quote:
HDTV Wonder uses the older RT200
Oops. I can't figure out why I've been so convinced it uses their own RT200. Anyways, a recent post elsewhere drew my attention to the fact that underneath the HDTV Wonder sticker likely lies a Conexant cx2388x decoder instead. But I can't confirm.

Quote:
That's the first I heard of them, but that certainly sounds like a good idea.
I looked into this idea, but it appears to be related only to their catalyst drivers, so I didn't bother, as I doubt the csr on the other end would know about hardware question on an unrelated product. Oh well, not terribly important anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.