AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i m anew comer i m an AV Phile Budget is no Bar but spending should worth.Pls guide me deciding 7.2 configuration.i want total completeness n want to enjoy AUDIO & VIDEO FOR Hours without Ear Fatigue.How about Anthem D2V With P5 Statement, if agreed than what speakers n Subs.what about deepness,crispyness n sweetness.

What about Kliscph THX UltraII Setup,It has no REF Towers to throw loud vocals. I cannot have the luxury of auditioning being in India Can spend upto $50000.My dedicated AV Room size is 22x16 ft.My new house is under construction n have to decide the design of AV Room and other accessories. i m tottaly dependent on this thread pls our community dont let me down. My name Samir Pandya Gujarat India

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
Anthem plus Klipsch!!! Ears bleeding!
Unless you like headaches, stay away from Anthem.

ADA Mach IV or Classe' 800, $20K on speakers (and subs) of your liking (and availability in India) and a JVC projector + screen. That should take you close to $50K and give solid performance.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohunter
Hi, i m anew comer i m an AV Phile Budget is no Bar but spending should worth.Pls guide me deciding 7.2 configuration.i want total completeness n want to enjoy AUDIO & VIDEO FOR Hours without Ear Fatigue.How about Anthem D2V With P5 Statement, if agreed than what speakers n Subs.what about deepness,crispyness n sweetness.

What about Kliscph THX UltraII Setup,It has no REF Towers to throw loud vocals. I cannot have the luxury of auditioning being in India Can spend upto $50000.My dedicated AV Room size is 22x16 ft.My new house is under construction n have to decide the design of AV Room and other accessories. i m tottaly dependent on this thread pls our community dont let me down. My name Samir Pandya Gujarat India
You need to provide more specifics for good advise. At the very least it would be good to know.

1. Are you predominantly into audio of video? If you spend 80% listening to your 2 channel CD collection, and 20% movies, you would desing the room and system and allocate the budget vastly different from a 20% audio, 80% movie room application. Also, how critical are you about the audio for movies? Do you want the room shaking bass and watch special effect movies? for some all SQ considerations are for music listening, and movie SQ is an afterthought.

2. How do you want to buy / build your system? You want to buy new from local dealers. Cobble a system together buying stuff on audiogon and have it shapped to India? Do you want to install / calibrate yourself, or have it done for you?

3. Do you want a music / media server based system or are you planning to spin discs?

4. What is in scope of work your need to fund with your 50K budget? Do you need to fund room buildout / decoration with the 50K? Do you need acoustic isolation? Are you looking at acoustic treatement of the room.

5. Room design - Do you want in wall speakers anywhere in the system to deal with space constraints or for estatic reasons? Do you want this to be an true "cinema like" home theater, or an audio room that you can also watch movies in?

You are way ahead of the curve by seleting brands at this stage in the design phase. The only two that appear to be clear price performance leaders in their category, that you will likely end up with no matter what are an Oppo 93 for your disc spinner (which is now also network media player), and JL audio Subs. Even on this, there will be different opinions.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What are your issues with Anthem D2V for home theater?

Is it bright, harsh, etc?

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler
What are your issues with Anthem D2V for home theater?

Is it bright, harsh, etc?
I demo'd one in town and found it too fizzy at the top. Too many buttons and the scaler has reliability issues. Scaler's shouldn't be included in preamps. There have been 100s of updates to it. Read the Anthem thread: that would scare anyone away.. I'd never recommend one to anyone.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
It must be a couple of months now since we've had one of these cretinous threads. I suppose we're about due.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts

Quote:
i want total completeness n want to enjoy AUDIO & VIDEO FOR Hours without Ear Fatigue.

You can't optimize for both in the same room. At your $50k limit I would set aside $10k+ of the money for acoustic room treatment planning and installation (maybe less if you build it yourself but labor is pretty cheap in India). Personally I would optimize for home theater and look at fully active monitors with compression drivers (or commercial amplification). This will result in zero compression / harshness. I have no idea what brands are available to you in India and can't give specific recommendations. Commercial genelec & JBL may be options; here in the US we have smaller companies that make an excellent product (full Seaton Sound system, etc). If you want great 2ch audio then set aside a few thousand for an incredible headphone setup.

Finally, your room is not huge so think about if you need 7 channels (5.2 may give you similar results).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sir. i have kept $10k spared especially for accoustic treatment & $ 10k for sitting apart from $50k (if needed) SPECIALLY N ONLYfor AV Setup which i dreamd of pls suggest me entire configuration.5.2 also no problem.Ans i have the Dealer in Bombay i.e 3 Hrs away from my place he will arrange everything for me,but all i need is a perfect configuration??????????.He is also confused

·
Registered
18,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/19651350

I demo'd one in town and found it too fizzy at the top.

\\

Oh c'mon, even I can fix that one....

Dial back the CO2.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If it was my $50k, I would overspend on the projector, center speaker, and sub(s), and underspend on everything else. I think this would be a sweet rig in this price range:

Sim2 Lumis projector

Triad Gold LCR speakers upfront (3)

Triad Gold surround speakers

Triad Platinum In-Room DSP Subwoofers (2)

Anthem MRX 700 Receiver

This will be a simple, fantastic sounding and viewing system, and contains products from only 3 manufacturers.

There are several other high powered receivers available that are more than adequate to power efficient speakers like these. You can also find separates in this price range. I would take a look at Marantz and Integra also. The Anthem Statement amp you mentioned is a fantastic piece. The additional funds it would take to upgrade the receiver/pre-pro, to get into the high-end brands, is FAR better spent on more important things like the projector, subs, and speakers.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you are able to build things in, you should consider a Genelec system. These come with amplification (one amp per driver) and crossovers. With proper calibration they can serve both your movie and hi fi needs. Your installer should pre-wire with 4-conductor to each speaker location in case you should decide to go this route. As for pre/pro, perhaps something like the Arcam FMJ AV888?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles /forum/post/19659254

Frankly I think this is bogus anyways...

Very suscpect indeed. Just in case it is serious, all recommendations on how to distribute the budget are premature since we do not know if mystery man in Inida is seriously into movies, music or both. If this is to be an audio room aimed at recreating an evening in the Blue Note (where some video will be played 10% of the time), I would build a very good 2 channel system (with free floorstanding speakers), get a 2 channel preamp with HT bypass, a cheap SSP and 2-3K projector, and in walls for surround. If OTAH this is to be a a full blown theater with rows of chairs where lots of popcorn will be popped, you end up with a completely different room.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies /forum/post/19657317

If it was my $50k, I would overspend on the projector, center speaker, and sub(s), and underspend on everything else. I think this would be a sweet rig in this price range:

Sim2 Lumis projector

Triad Gold LCR speakers upfront (3)

Triad Gold surround speakers

Triad Platinum In-Room DSP Subwoofers (2)

Anthem MRX 700 Receiver

This will be a simple, fantastic sounding and viewing system, and contains products from only 3 manufacturers.

There are several other high powered receivers available that are more than adequate to power efficient speakers like these. You can also find separates in this price range. I would take a look at Marantz and Integra also. The Anthem Statement amp you mentioned is a fantastic piece. The additional funds it would take to upgrade the receiver/pre-pro, to get into the high-end brands, is FAR better spent on more important things like the projector, subs, and speakers.

Depends on one's priorities, but I think it is the other way around. You could buy an audio system and leave it for five or ten years without it being outdated. A pj on the other hand could be upgraded every year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr /forum/post/19651213

You need to provide more specifics for good advise. At the very least it would be good to know.

1. Are you predominantly into audio of video? If you spend 80% listening to your 2 channel CD collection, and 20% movies, you would desing the room and system and allocate the budget vastly different from a 20% audio, 80% movie room application. Also, how critical are you about the audio for movies? Do you want the room shaking bass and watch special effect movies? for some all SQ considerations are for music listening, and movie SQ is an afterthought.

2. How do you want to buy / build your system? You want to buy new from local dealers. Cobble a system together buying stuff on audiogon and have it shapped to India? Do you want to install / calibrate yourself, or have it done for you?

3. Do you want a music / media server based system or are you planning to spin discs?

4. What is in scope of work your need to fund with your 50K budget? Do you need to fund room buildout / decoration with the 50K? Do you need acoustic isolation? Are you looking at acoustic treatement of the room.

5. Room design - Do you want in wall speakers anywhere in the system to deal with space constraints or for estatic reasons? Do you want this to be an true "cinema like" home theater, or an audio room that you can also watch movies in?

You are way ahead of the curve by seleting brands at this stage in the design phase. The only two that appear to be clear price performance leaders in their category, that you will likely end up with no matter what are an Oppo 93 for your disc spinner (which is now also network media player), and JL audio Subs. Even on this, there will be different opinions.

Sir i need both the worlds i.e 50%Bluray bought from Amazon.com with full effects n 50% into music/AV DVDS Mainly i m into progressive & uplifting Trance n House i.e ROger shah n Black pearl -Java, Rise, Discovery.Others Stowers n young:Ocean etc there r so many if u r into it.I want 100% sound effect in movies n Music i e perfect deep punchy n tight bass as loW as 9 HZ Though not audible but in conjuction to other bands it may creat better bass effect, sweet,crystal clear n loud vocals with perfect razor sharp High HZ

SECONDLY As i stated earlier in this thread i HAVE A person in Bombay who is ready to provide me the set up i call for at the price i quote(Amazon is wide open) as he is well conversant with Europe.The problem is what set up ????? Even he is confused.....

Third point: Sir i M planning to have 8 TB Or more MSD, Mac mini PC,NET,HD SATELLITE Disc In India mainly TATA SKY HD,i ALREADY HAVE PS3,AND LASTLY By default spin dvds.so my req. covers mostly everything.

Fourth point:really disgressed me cos sir $70k (if needed)Total is serious money n i m not from the families of Bill Gates,Lorren Buffets,Ambani"s(ofcourse this amount is nothing for them tobe wasted) etc.It took years of hard working to be able to expend not waste on the system i dreamed of in my childhood.Im an introvagant person n i hate decorating n fund building of what ever capabilities i have.Sir This is my Lust n I M Totally obssessed by it c'mon buddy no show business pls.

Fifth point: Sir i want totol separation of all frequencies this is on what i m to expend not waste my $$$$$. i need Home theatre where i can enjoy music with same result. Room size ican redesign pls tell me entire configuration i willl beee utterly obligedddd believe me

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles /forum/post/19659254

A 7.1 Genny is going to eat much of that budget.

Another thing I'd consider is power conditioning thinking that the power might be suspect in India.

Frankly I think this is bogus anyways...

Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up!

Sir Routine power is 220v at 50 Hz in India any suggestions pls.And Yes THIS IS NOT BOGUS n Mysterious.Nobody can Judge anybody cos this is only a net thread u need tobe FACE TO FACE TO EVALUATE.ITS TIME TO FORGET FORBIDDEN PAST MY DEAR SIR

1 - 20 of 81 Posts