AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a number of searches without finding the answers I'm looking for. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords? Anyways, although I may lust after the new Denon pre-pro the chances of my actually being able to afford it are probably slim. And if I could afford I probably couldn't get to place where I could actually justify it in light of other needs in my life.

So, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with AVR's that make great pre-pros or future AVR's that look like they'd be excellent. Schadenfreude made a good point in another thread that alot of design time and money is invested in the pre-outs on a dedicated pre-amp and the quality of the pre-outs affects sound quality. Makes sense to me. Any AVR's up to that challenge?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I asked a very similar question in a post a few weeks ago and didn't get much feedback. I guess it's a tough call. My feeling is that although separates are always going to be a better choice because they are dedicated components and don't have to "pack" processing and amplification in the same box, higher end receivers should have good processing, close to (if not as good as) their separate counterpart. It's mostly a matter of budget. If you look at brands like Arcam, Rotel, Anthem, they make excellent separates. There is no reason to assume the pre-pro section of their receivers should be remarkably different.

I am probably going with a Rotel RSX-1057 to be coupled with a Rotel 2ch amp for the mains which I already have. I don't have the space to fit a pre-amp and additional amp(s) for the remaining channels.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Not sure if the word "great" applies, but I have used a H/K AVR520 as a pre/pro for years and I even kept it after experimenting with several high end separates (Bryston, Lexicon, Sherwood Newcastle) mainly because I felt that while they were somewhat better surround processors they were not several thousand dollars better, and all suffered in their analog sections, which I had covered for 2 ch with a Citation 7.0. I also found the AVR520 to be more user friendly than the separates, plus it was one of the last receivers H/K made without a fan so it does not have that potential noise issue.

If you like Denon you may want to look at their pro AVP model DN-A7100 that sells for about $900 and looks like a very nice unit. It has HDMI switching with audio, but not v. 1.3.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/336653.html

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I remember I used a ...what was it..a Denon 4206, I think, as a pre-pro then went with a B&K Ref 50 which was much more dynamic sounding to me. I'm just curious as to whether that would probably still be the case or whether the gap has narrowed. I certainly would like the features available on an AVR but the diminishment in sound quality is always a concern.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Arcam.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.