AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hoping someone here at the forum can help me.

Over the last couple of years I've accumulated a rather large HD mpeg media library that I've burned to single and dual layer DVD+ disks. Back then I had to make a choice as to whether to burn them with an .mpg (PS program stream) or .ts (transpot stream) extension. I figured the .ts extension would be the most future proof option. Looks like I "chose poorly".

Up till now I've been using a Snazio HD media player to handle the .ts disks, but I'm getting to the point where I can't stand it and all it's quirks anymore. I know I will come home some night to find that the wife has trashed it. It's ruined too many entertainment evenings.

I've been looking at some of the new offshore Sigma 8634 HD media players, and am not encouraged. I've decided I don't want another goofy Chinese solution. I'd rather have a good old American Panasonic, Sony, or Pioneer player anyday.

I always figured the new Blu ray players would be backwards compatable to play these MPEG2 files, since so many of the disks are encoded in the same format. Unfortunately it looks like this is not the case. I never counted on the file extension being such a big deal.

I've been searching my brains out looking for a new BR single player solution. So far I've run across two candidates: the Sony PS3 and Sony BDP-300 model. The AVS threads aren't conclusive to me, because the disk playback discussions always seem to head off into media servers, and changing to .mpg extensions on the hard drive.

To state it as simply as I can - does anyone know of a Blu-ray player (or HD-DVD) that will playback an MPEG2.ts disk encoded with Dolby Digital AC3 5.1 (without screwing up the audio)? Remember I'm not about to re-burn all these disks, or transfer/re-encode them to hard drive(s).

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't had any luck with .ac3 in program streams or transports streams. They either play without sound of come up as corrupt data. I've only use an mpeg ts with MP2 audio.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Looking for almost the same thing.

I have an extensive collection of DVD+R's with .mpg MPEG2 files created from Dish Network 622 downloads via PVRExplorer Pro and cleaned up with Video ReDo.

I'm looking for a stand alone HD player to play these instead of having to use my PC.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This post gives me a little hope that the Sony BDP-300 might work:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2&postcount=19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyzz /forum/post/11020422

will try to compare the two players myself this weekend as well.

For some reason, the S300 I got is no faster than the BD-10a.

I get 27sec to load Planet Earth disc and 37sec for KOH (tray load to FBI screen)

Still hoping other forumers can verify quantatively.

Also notices this S300 exhibit slight pauses during operations such as FF scanning,

where as BD-10a operates a bit smoother.

Some esoteric praises for S300:

1. better OSD structure. BD-10a menu system is very layered and similar to the dvd-recorders i've bought from them before, but some simple operations simply took too many key strokes.

2. better remote. Having "eject" and "subtitle" button on S300 remote automatically declared the winner for my parents. The BD10a jog dial executes poorly.
3. I can play MPEG2 TS files on the S300 using a DVD-SL/DL. Even seems to have better compatibility than PS3 on some multichannel audio streams as I didn't need to re-parse the files through TSdemux for the S300. Easily turns S300 into a Plasma/LCD seller with these HD demo clips.

4. don't have the hardware to test AVCHD. Also notices both manual states no BD-R/BD-RE support. Can't verify this, but have to say was disappointed.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts