AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive the newbie questions, but I'm just getting into HDTV. I had a SA3250 box installed by Cox yesterday so I can receive ABC,CBS, NBC and Discovery in HD on my PJ.

My problem is the DVI is not enabled so I need to use component to feed the PJ. Since I only have one component on the PJ, the other one only takes 480i (BenQ 8700), I have to switch the cables from my DVD player to the SA3250.

My options other than manually switching cables are:

1) Feed my DVD player interlaced to the PJ. Not desired because it looks better in progressive

2) Buy two sets of short component cables and use my pre/pro to switch. Cost about $80 from Blue Jeans Cable

3) Buy a DVI DVD player. Waiting for Bravo D2 to see if bugs are fixed

4) BUY a LG3510A combo HDTV tuner DVD player with DVI out.

Could I use the LG3510 as a tuner and DVD player in this set up? What is a QAM cable digital tuner anyways? Can it replace the SA 3250 for HDTV channels on cable?

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated .

Thanks

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epiney
Could I use the LG3510 as a tuner and DVD player in this set up? What is a QAM cable digital tuner anyways? Can it replace the SA 3250 for HDTV channels on cable?
Digital channels on cable are generally transmitted with a QAM signal. Your Cox franchise may or may not scramble the QAM signal for the HDTV channels. For instance, I think Cox San Diego scrambles their HDTV channels. If a cable company doesn't scramble the QAM signal, you would be able to use the LST-3510A to receive the unscrambled HDTV channels. In your case, you may just want to wait a few months until some of the recently announced DVD players with DVI outputs actually start going on sale.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.