AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm really tempted to buy a new set of front speakers to replace my current ones. And then I was wondering if I could us my current front speakers for something so I started to read on different forums; And sure, there are those that say there are cons using Towers are surround speakers but the majority do however agree that: If you can replace all the speakers, have the space and know how to set it up its worth it.

So now I am wondering if it would be in this case: I've attached a picture of my layout. Alternative 1 shows how it is now, the surroundspeakers (Side and rear) are not towers. Its a 7.1 system

Alternative 2: My front speakers are replaced by the new ones, my old towers are moved back between my surround speakers.

Alternative 3: The side surround is moved back together with the rear surround and used as a rear surround. The tower takes over the job as side surround completely.

Which one would would be the best? If any? Or should I invest in something else?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20836003

These are my REAR speakers...

Infinity Crescendo 3007 (basement)

Waterfall Audio Iguascu (living room)

OHM Walsh 3 series I (bedroom)

Nice, and what is your opinion: Is it worth having towers as surround as well? Is the are noticeable difference ?

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devarennes /forum/post/20836050

Nice, and what is your opinion: Is it worth having towers as surround as well? Is the are noticeable difference ?

This may answer your question. I love to experiment. I have an AVR with 8 pre-outs. I was bored one day and thought what if I hooked up my subwoofer directly to the left or right surround channel pre-out? I put WOTW on blu-ray in my BD player and skipped over to chapter 5 or was it 6 when the ground starts rumbling and the martian pod emerges from the ground. I set my player to straight. That defeats any PLxII processing too. So what was coming out of the surround speaker was right off the BD disk straight to the pre-outs. I set the volume to the level I normally would listen too (-20.0 db wrt 0.0 db reference level). I could definitely hear the sub. Not only that, the subwoofer cone was moving back and forth too in long excursions. I played some other movies like POTC (cannon fire), Flight of the Phoenix (dust storm), Ironhide roll (Transformers), just to name a few. All had a great deal of bass in the surrounds channels assuming the absence of crosstalk.

I would think that towers would sound far better than small monopoles or dipole/bipole surround speakers would. I think it would enhance the surround experience. I don't know if it is worth the greater expense. If you have small speakers for surround channels right now, I think you would definitely enjoy towers more. Not only would you have lower bass extension for more foundation and fullness, but greater dynamic range as well from the towers. I would first replace the side surrounds though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.