AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member. I am planning to buy a 42" plasma EDTV next month. Currently, I'm using Cable service with a basic digital terminal box. Just wondering, if I upgrade my digital terminal to high definition digital terminal box which will cost $10.00 more for rental, will I get any benefits of doing that, such as better picture...? Thank you for any advices.

· Registered
7,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stpdls
Hi, I'm a new member. I am planning to buy a 42" plasma EDTV next month. Currently, I'm using Cable service with a basic digital terminal box. Just wondering, if I upgrade my digital terminal to high definition digital terminal box which will cost $10.00 more for rental, will I get any benefits of doing that, such as better picture...? Thank you for any advices.

OH YES !!! :D

HD Programming will look stunning on the Panny ED Display.

· Registered
767 Posts
One thing i'm wondering too...Is there a difference with NONE HD channels ? What i mean is if you get an HD sat box and don't subscribe to HD package, so in a fact feeding regular sat signal to an HD box, will there be a difference...? I guess not but u never know.

· Registered
765 Posts
I am in the same situation as stpdls...currently have basic cable with no converter box and am about to order the 42pwd7uy. I know that I will have to get the digital converter box from so that it can be hooked up to the panel via component, but for an additional $12/month could get an HD converter box that will give me a whopping three channels of HD. My question is this...can a person such as myself get the regular box and add an OTA antenna for the local HD broadcasts? Does the antenna attach to the converter box? Is the regular digital cable box and ATSC or NTSC tuner? What would be the best way to get digital cable and still be able to get the "free OTA" HD programming? Please help!

· Registered
119 Posts
you need a tuner if you want OTA HD. Or if you get the th42pd25u, it has built in ATSC and NTSC tuners. You can buy a tuner separately for the PWD, or upgrade to the HD box from cable.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stpdls
Widescreen programming for a start. There is no such thing as ED digital cable. Your choices are either stretched SD (or possibly burn in from pillar box bars) or HD widescreen.

· Registered
950 Posts
The PQ I've observed on the ED panel with an HD feed is spectacular. The Olympics PQ were outstanding this year on the ED panel.

Vb

· Registered
5,180 Posts
HD cable boxes do not support reception of 8VSB OTA HD with an antenna, cable uses a different format QAM thats incompatible. To receive OTA HD channels, you need a separate ATSC digital tuner box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.