AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to upgrade my modest HT with some decent speakers. Starting with a new center, considering BIC PL-28, Axiom VP150, and Aperion 5C. The Axiom and Aperion are almost a coin toss - Axiom leading due to QS-8 surrounds since I'll eventually upgrade everyhting. However, both of those speakers have a 30-day in-home trial, so I see the risk as minimal. I'd like to hear the BIC in someone's set-up if possible as the horn driver interests me, but not completely sold on the idea. The price is nice, too.

My set-up is not impressive compared to many on the forum - Sony STR-DE 830 AVR, Sharp DT-510 PJ, 106" screen, Sony 400 dsc DVD changer, Celestion sub. All really entry level stuff, but I'm very happy with the PJ and screen - just added them 2 years ago. HT is in the basement - just recently moved so it's not functioning yet - just got my new 30' cables. Listen to some rock music, but mostly movies (90%+) on this system.

I'd love to spend thousands on speakers, but SWMBO thinks otherwise...

Anyway, anyone willing to show off their BIC's would be greatly appreciated. Pittsburgh, South Hills, or Washington county.

Aaron

·
Registered
333 Posts
You would be better served by making sure your new center matches the mains you plan on using in the future rather than your surrounds. Although some people are able to integrate mains and centers from different manufactures it's usually not advised. OTOH many people successfully integrate surrounds from a different manufacture with their front three speakers.

If you haven't already, and have the room under your screen consider using a tower or bookshelf speaker as a center. Vertical speakers usually sound better and often cost less than their horizontal counterparts. If you can use a vertical center then also consider purchasing three identical speakers for up front as that is considered ideal.

The QS8s are a fantastic speakerI own them, but don't let them be a major factor driving your decision on what center or even mains to get.

Cheers,

Dean

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely match the mains to the center - not enough room below screen for vertical speaker - center will be mounted above the screen.

I'm putting the emphasis on the center because I feel it's the most important factor in movies and because my current center was damaged in the move.

Thanks for the affirmation on the QS8's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts