AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love watching movies and an thinking hard about upgrading to blu ray. I am finishing college and don't have alot of extra cash sitting around right now. Currently I have a 52" CRT projection TV that has a native resolution of 1080i. I was wondering if the upgrade to blu ray on my current TV would be "very" noticable. I know it will obviously be better, but I want to make sure it is worth paying for right now. I would buy a PS3 to play the movies, because of price and I also play some videogames. I would apprecieate any input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a PS3 and a HD-A1 that i watch on a 46" Toshiba and the difference is very noticeable.

I planned on purchasing a 1080P Samsung DLP, but I've been so satisfied with the PQ of my current tv I decided to get it ISF calibrated and keep it for a few more years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends on whether you notice a difference watching HDTV broadcast (do you have an HD tuner?) on your set. Your 52" probably uses 7" CRTs and it depends on how well your lenses are mechanically/electrostatically focused and your set is converged. I have a 73" MITS set ISF calibrated and HD broadcasts, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray materials is quite superior compared to SD-DVD. I use to have a 58" Pioneer Elite Pro520HD which used 7" CRTs and that sharpness was lacking on the set where 1080i wasn't too exciting. This was the reason why I switched to 9" tubes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My projo is a RCA D52W25. It isn't worth a lot of money anymore. I plan to keep it probably for another year or so and then upgrade. As far as the ISF calibration, I really don't have the funds at the moment to pay someone to personally come and calibrate my TV set. I have seen AVIA discs and others like it floating around out there, are they worth the money to calibrate myself? I know it wouldn't be the same as a professional calibration, but again I am just trying to get by for now. At the same time I could calibrate my surround sound.

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
I have a well calibrated and ISF'd Sony KP-57WS520 (1080i with 7" CRTs) and the difference between SD DVD and Blu-ray is dramatic. When watching "Crank" and "Brothers Grimm" recently I was able to see detail and resolution which I previously thought my display could never produce. It proved me wrong (based on my calibrator's signal generator test patterns, my set is doing approximately 1400X1080).

·
Registered
661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_M /forum/post/0

I have a PS3 and a HD-A1 that i watch on a 46" Toshiba and the difference is very noticeable.

I planned on purchasing a 1080P Samsung DLP, but I've been so satisfied with the PQ of my current tv I decided to get it ISF calibrated and keep it for a few more years.

How much did it cost for the ISF calibration? I about to do the same thing for my Hitachi 57S500 RPTV.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
One of the other factors you should look at is connections. I am sure that your set doesn't have HDMI/DVI inputs.

This limits you to component connection for you blu ray player. How many componenet in's do you have?

Might have to get a switch box of some kind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have 1 set of componet inputs on my tv. I am using my Yamaha 5990 reciever to control all my HD stuff which acts as my switcher. Unfortunatly I have HDMI on my reciever but not on my tv yet. For cables I am using all Monster cable so far, which I did notice a nice difference between that and standard componet cables.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Component is better on RPCRT anyways so you should be fine. The benefits of having CRT outweigh the benefits of have 1080p digital anything. If you are a true videophile with a calibrated set that is

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have a 65" Toshiba CRT RPTV that is 6 1/2 years old. Works great with my PS3. Fantastic pivture. I use the component out of the PS3 and 1080i in to the HDTV. If you play games with the PS3 make sure you have the contrast and brightness set to 50% or less to prevent burn in an you will be fine.

Rick R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.