AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got an old oppo player with a hacked firmware which disables regions and uops ("you can't do that right now!"). I want to upgrade to a blu-ray player, but the uop thing is a huge hang up for me. The uops are just incredibly annoying (especially when you have kids begging to start the latest dora or what not and there are 10 minutes of forced BS before the the disc plays).

Anyone know of a blu ray player which has uops turned off or has a downloadable firmware that can turn them off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked through the sticky about picking a blu-ray player, and don't see anything about it there. I'm interested in this too.

Most of the force-fed UOP crap is commercials about how piracy is bad, and the FBI warning. Being unable to skip it makes me want to get a copy of anyDVD, just so that I can remove it. I'd love to see more people "driven to piracy" because of those UOP FBI warnings. It would be an ironic twist to the saga of copy-protection.

I'm bookmarnking this post, in hopes that someone will respond with information about players that ignore UOP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really bother to pirate dvds/movies because personally I rarely have time to watch them twice. However, with the kids shows it really is a pretty huge issue. I would have little moral qualms with checking out a bunch of kids DVDs of TV shows that are on TV and then ripping them to my hard drive, reencoding them into DIVX and then putting them back on a DVD so that I can keep them.

The main reason being that I can store about 10x the amount of footage on a disk and that I don't have to deal with all the menu stuff vs just watching what I want. Tivo solves much of this problem for me since I more or less just can record all of these shows and keep them, but even then it eventually becomes a storage issue to keep all the episodes as my kids get streaky with the shows they wan, and if I wipe out one show because it's not being watched it might take a month to rebuild up my archive of it if it comes back into style.

Either way, all minor things, but I'd be willing to pay far more for content in a more friendly usable fashion. I'd kill for a DVD player that just had a VCR feel where I put in my DVD and it immediately skips all bullcrap and just plays the largest video file on the disk. If it's not the right one I could hit menu and then deal with all the junk if i feel like it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts