AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of my clients are looking for a scaler with the above mentioned functionality. Is there anything like that available on the affordable side? (Sub-$1k)

·
Registered
28,702 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question. If they're doing zoom-in CIH, they don't need a scaler. They just project the image so that the empty letterbox bars overshoot the top and bottom of the screen.

You say "of 16:9 movies." Does that mean 16:9 discs (of which all Blu-rays are), or movies with a 16:9 (or 1.85:1) aspect ratio? Arey they trying to crop a 1.85:1 movie to lose picture off the top and bottom and fit onto a 2.35:1 screen? If so, why? That will look awful for most movies. Or are they looking to shrink a 1.85:1 movie to fit in the center of the screen with pillarbox bars on the sides, which is a different thing entirely?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know this is a cruddy as pan and scan but they want their 21:9 screen to have 21:9 picture all the time.

Now, if you're familiar with the 4:3 Panorama process on the DVD Edge to create 16:9 image, what my clients are looking is to create 16:9 Panorama process to create 21:9 image

(This is where the centre of the image is not stretched but the more it goes to the left/right, the more stretched it becomes)

·
Registered
28,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo  /t/1470638/any-budget-scaler-that-c...-9-movies-for-zoom-in-cih-setup#post_23262839

Now, if you're familiar with the 4:3 Panorama process on the DVD Edge to create 16:9 image, what my clients are looking is to create 16:9 Panorama process to create 21:9 image

(This is where the centre of the image is not stretched but the more it goes to the left/right, the more stretched it becomes)

They're not going to find that in their price range. The Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D has a non-linear stretch that can accomodate 21:9. MSRP $1,995.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts