AVS Forum banner

any care to share extreme examples of 2ch music?

527 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  GIEGAR 
#1 ·
which highlight depth or soundstage or imaging or a specific example of a song that measures a good characteristic of a speakers sound quality?

I would like to test a few things on my setup and instead of a test cd would like to sample other opinions.

for example in steely dans dirty work from showbiz kids i can tell lead vocals is 5-7 feet in front of back up vocals(around 1 min) or like the 1st min of only a fool would say that you can only hear the ?coconuts? on the right soundstage but the ocals are 5 feet in front.

just my 2 cents on above, I am not a goldenear....but would love to sample stuff with an agreed upon conclusion.

#2 ·
My vote would be not to care about what other people use and just focus onstuff that you listen to. Are you really going to buy a few new tracks, find agreat pair of speakers that work well with those tracks, and then neverlisten to those tracks after you get your pair???

Spend a few days with your current system, pull out all your cd's/tracks youlisten to. Listen and take notes, find 6 -10 tracks that you like in your owncollection that shows off different things (dynamic range, Vocals, soundstage, etc).Use those tracks as your test material.

just my 2 cents on above, I am not a goldenear....but would love to sample stuff with an agreed upon conclusion
There are no agreed upon conclusions, the fact that you hear the vocals 5-7feet in front of backup vocals has way more to do with speaker position and yourroom then your speakers alone. Hearing anything in different spots in the roomis your brain interpreting the source and reflections in your room.

#3 ·
I use Telarc's 1812 Overture to test speakers for dynamics and bass survival

Not many speakers can handle 8Hz sonic booms from double-loaded cannon fire but it is always fun to try. The dynamics of that recording are insane so be aware that bad things might happen. My garage sound system can handle it but I cheat with a 21Hz high pass filter to protect the subs and limiters on all the amplifiers to protect the mains and amplifiers.

Another good test is to use the MTV Unplugged series of recordings--minimal processing/mastering so you can hear all the glorious natural human voice--good for checking mids.

#4 · (Edited)
"... for example in steely dans dirty work from showbiz kids i can tell lead vocals is 5-7 feet in front of back up vocals(around 1 min) or like the 1st min of only a fool would say that you can only hear the ?coconuts? on the right soundstage but the vocals are 5 feet in front."

Man, your system is imaging WAY better than mine ! Dam now I'm going to have to start shopping for upgrades !!

#5 ·
My latest go to is Beck's Heart Is A Drum, from Morning Phase

Reactions: torii
#6 ·
Uninvited by Alannis Morrisette - Huge dynamic range.

About a Girl Live in NYC by Nirvana - Best recorded live event I have ever found! You can easily place the performers in their on stage locations... and follow them as they move on rare occasion...

Cant Sleep by Kryptic Minds - Detailed and heavily textured bass line paired with an airy/haunting vocal track.

#7 ·
I have to find that fugees song off 1st album that throws/echoes behind the mlp. its impressive if the gear used works and is only 2 channel.

#11 ·
Never heard of, or listened to this before. I'm not too much into this stuff, but I enjoyed the album mostly from a musical perspective. The reason I'm such a massive Sonos advocate is the ease of musical exploration, and when I see things suggested I try to listen. The SQ, mix, and mastering of a large part of this album is really excellent!

Not sure what song you're referring to, but I can tell you that How hard is it has an incredibly immersive soundfield that is as convincing of a 5.1 soundtrack as you'll find. Holographic. A number of other great tracks here with great clarity, but that one stands out for it's holographic imaging for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion I enjoyed it :)

#12 ·
which highlight depth or soundstage or imaging or a specific example of a song that measures a good characteristic of a speakers sound quality?
I love the unrestrained dynamics of an expertly recorded/mixed live performance. This will test your speakers ability to maintain their composure and clarity on loud program peaks. Example (some panning of effects going on here too):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.