AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in ST.Augustine,FL.Any chance at all to get Orlando digital stations? Have a 25 ft. pole with Radio Shack second largest antenna. I think towers are 75-100 miles away.Just heard Jacksonville CBS will not be digital till may. Doesnt anyone in N.E.Florida have HD fever or at least an HDset? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I live southwest of Orlando and not quite as far away from the towers as you do but I get the Orlando DTV stations really well.

I'm near Lake Wales. From all of the data that I've been able to gather my house is 61 miles from the Christmas, FL towers. I've got the Radio Shack U120R antenna on a 19' mast on the roof (net height of about 35'), no amplifier, a direct line feeding my Dish 6000 and my typical signal stregnth on the Orlando stations is 90+.

Go to your local Radio Shack and get one of their "BIG" UHF antennas. You might also pick up one of their UHF amps. At 25' up you "should" be able to pick up Orlando without too much trouble.

If the Radio Shack stuff doesn't quite do it there are a couple of ChannelMaster UHF yagi's that are even better as well as a higher gain amp. Of course they're more money. The beauty of buying Radio Shack is their fairly liberal return policies.

Considering that there is precious little in the way of obstructions between you and Orlando, I'd think that given the right antenna pointed "EXACTLY" right should get you the Orlando DTV stations.

I find myself now watching shows that I never have (nor ever would) just because they're digital.

I can't believe I watched "The Young & the Restless" today just to see it in HD...

Sad... Truely sad...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Once you get past 70 some miles, you will not be in line of site of the towers due to the curvature of the earth. I don't think you will get a reliable signal. There are always atmosphere effects (ducting, tropospheric skip) that would allow you to receive the Orlando stations in the morning or later at night, though not reliably.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.